“'Great family holiday'”

Hotel-Aparthotel Dorada Palace
Ranked #12 of 93 Hotels in Salou
Reviewed July 9, 2013 via mobile

We have just returned home after a week stay at the Dorada Palace and overall we had a pleasing experience. The hotels location is good, 10 minutes walk to nearest beach and 15 minutes walk to Portadventura. The hotel was spotless, the cleaning staff do a wonderful job of keeping the place pristine and they clearly work hard. The hotel room was fine, clean but quite basic.It had four beds,wardrobes,drawers, a shower/bath, and a t.v (we found that the amount of English channels were limited, although we were happy with the ones we got). We found the reception staff (except the Russian one..rude) and bar/waiting staff to be polite,helpful and cheerful. We went half-board and our family consisted of two adults and two children,our children are aged four and ten. We couldn't fault the food available, the breakfast consisted of a very large variety of cereals,fruit,meats,cheese,bread,yoghurts,pastries,cakes along with cooked breakfast (boiled eggs, bacon,sausages,beans,tomatoes) in addition to this you can have freshly made pancakes and omelettes :) The only negative comment I have is in regards to the scrambles eggs which looked grey, uncooked and sloppy!! However other guests were happily eating it.
The dinners were fantastic although by the end of the week the selection became repetitive! Again the selection of food available were great. We were never left hungry! Dinner consisted of soups, bread, salads, fish, meat, pasta and rice. The desserts were delicious and also had a lot to chose from-fresh fruit, cakes,cheesecakes,pastries,yoghurts,ice cream,chocolate fountain and profiteroles and if your still peckish after that there is a good selection of cheese, meats and crackers. We particularly enjoyed 'Spanish Dinner' night..the paella was amazing! 'Chinese Dinner' noodles and curry.. And 'Special Dinner' which offered lots of fresh seafood..fantastic! There was also a children's buffet which our children enjoyed and were able to help themselves to.
The children's entertainment was ok...but we all felt that it was extremely repetitive...everyday(night and day) the same music/songs were played and by the end of our stay we had enough of 'gangnam style, mosquito, Africa, heads shoulders knees and toes and chichuaa' etc!!!! :(
The hotel should bare in mind that they play the same music over and over again...parents work hard all year in order to afford family holidays and they want to be pleased too. I felt the entertainment was focused on children aged 2-4 yrs old, our boys didn't want to participate in silly singing dancing to babyish music! Our children enjoyed the games room and pool though so they were happy! As a family we enjoyed the evening shows such as the Spanish dancers and Beijing acrobats were brilliant!! Before we arrived at the hotel I was worried as I had read the reviews which allowed me to believe that the staff were more focused on the Russian guests... I am glad to say that we didn't feel like this at all, we felt we were treated equally by all the staff! The Russian guests however are rude, didn't smile back and as a mixed-race family we felt that we were stared at a lot!!!(maybe they do not live in a multi-cultural/racial society but I felt looked down upon by them..I don't care if they have good bodies or lots of money their attitudes stink)!!! Russians guests are more popular here although we met other families from Spain, Ireland, England and Belgium. I have no problem with people from other countries but the Russians are different..very different!! We booked our holiday with Thomson and were told by our rep Rose(who was amazing..helpful and lovely)that this was the last time Thomson would be using this hotel as they have received many complaints from their guests..Shame really because we would return in the future! Our stay exceeded our expectations and was very good.. Just a few things let it down. The fact that everyday guests have to get a new wi-fi code to use the internet(Internet can only be used in reception area). The fact that you have to pay €20 deposit for the tv remote and €10 for the use of the mini fridge is unfair.. This should be included in the holiday..what do they think will happen? Most guests are fully capable of looking after a remote and a fridge!?!?
Other than that we loved our holiday and would return again.thanks to all the staff..well done your doing a great job!!

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Channyb_30
DoradaPalaceHotel, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Hotel-Aparthotel Dorada Palace, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2013

Dear guest,

We really appreciate your review on TripAdvisor. We are so happy to know that you enjoyed your stay at Dorada Palace and that our servicies and facilities in general have exceeded your expectations.

We write down your suggestions about entertainment music and we will inform the entertainment manager.

Regarding the lots of comments that we have received from Thomson customers lately, we wish to clarify that it isn't the customers reviews the reason why they leave the hotel Dorada Palace and lots of hotel in the Costa Dorada. We recommend you to ask Thomson why they are not offer more this destination and yes other different ones. Lots of British and Irish customers as you are very happy with their stay, and we wish them to come back again at Dorada Palace.

In our website you can see that there isn't any nationality restriction to book. We welcome all customers from any country. We will be so happy to welcome you again in a near future.

Thank you again for your comments, because all our customers reviews help us to improve.
And thank you for the photos.

Yours faithfully,

Write a ReviewReviews (2,004)

Reviewed July 9, 2013

we have been going to dorada palace in salou for a good few years when we first went it was a five star experience we use to take the grandchildren however this time in june 2013 we went as a couple all seemed fine hotel very clean but the food was disgusting it is now an international hotel the beef was just grizzle some nights all I had was soup and a roll or chicken and chips off the kids menu or burger and chips we could not believe how much the standard of food has dropped so quickly if I had to go again it would be on self catering but all the staff are wonderful some old faces which was nice also the Russians are very rude and push everybody they wont wait and will not que they think they should be seen to first they definetly waste a lot of food pile there plates up eat a bit and chuck the rest we saw one lady get a big plate of king prawns arranged them nicely on the plate on her table took a photograph then didn't eat them she threw them away what a waste too much waste of food we have been going there since 2000 and not been for a few years due to my ill health but what a shock when we got to the restaurant it is a shame as everything else was fine. we were also told by the security staff that Thompson are coming out in October as it will be Russians only ? when we checked with our rep Rosie who was very nice and helpful she didn't know and another lady tried to book online for next year and couldn't so rosie tried with no luck she had to ring her manager who said its true they will not be having it in there brochure after October as its an international hotel I am so sorry to have to write this review as I always praised and recommended to our friends but I am afraid I cant do this now I am gutted as I loved this hotel it also holds memories of going with my grandchildren when they were younger

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear guest,

Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor. We regret that your stay with us this year has not been as you expected to, and that the food in the restaurant didn't satisfied you.

Dorada Palace Hotel/Aparthotel is delighted to welcome customers of all nationalities: British, Irish, Spanish, French, Russian, etc etc. We don't choose the customers who come to our hotel. Thomson Touroperator year by year has reduced it's number of rooms contracted at Dorada Palace by their own decision, and other Touroperators has offered us other markets where selling the rooms/apartments that Thomson has decided not to sell more in the last years.

We accept all nationalities, as you can check on our website, anyone can book a room without problem. Touroperators sales (eg Thomson) are very important to us, and if some of them do not want to sell more rooms in our hotel, we have to find alternatives. UK and Irish customers from Thomson has been for many years a very important market for us and for Salou, and we will be happy if it remains so. But, as we said before, we recomend you to ask your tour operator explanations why they don't want to sell the Costa Dorada in Spain as a destination and why instead they are selling other destinations to their British and Irish customers.

We are not and will not be an only Russians hotel-aparthotel, we are an international hotel as you can see on our website.

Thank you again for your participation on TripAdvisor reviews.
We hope that, despite all, in the future you will decide to return to Dorada Palace.

Reviewed July 9, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here twice in the last few years and I hate to say it but our experience this year was not as enjoyable as it was 2 years ago. Firstly I'm gonna get the pros outta the way. Hotel is spotless. Bar, restaurant and cleaning staff are polite and professional. Contrary to some reviews not all the meat in the restaurant are terrible. Although some were not great, I also had some of the nicest. On balance the food is good and even the fussiest diner will find something to eat. The pool area is spotless and well laid out. Special mention to the v hard working entertainment staff. Yeah it's a little corny and repetitive but the kids loved it and after a couple of beers in the evening, so did a lot of the adults. (Contrary to other comments, not all of the English speaking holiday makers spent "all day drinking beer after beer")
Now some negatives. We booked a 2 week stay in an apartment for a family of 4. What we got was the smallest in its class with a balcony over looking the pool area but so small it got little or no sunlight. Also the walls are paper thin and every door close, toilet flush and chair movement from either side and above you is very audible. Then you don't go on holiday to sit in a hotel room so we got over it after a few days.
Secondly, and there is no easy way to say this but based on our 2 stays here I have to say that I found a large amount of the guests this year to be rude, greedy and out and out ignorant with no regards for the needs of others. On many occasions, myself and kids were "queue jumped" at the bar and reception and my perception is that the staff hired specifically to communicate with them were happy to let this happen. In my opinion if the hotel continues down this road it won't be long seeing profits dwindle due the the greed seen every meal time. 1 family of 3 took so much seafood one night they didn't have enough space on the table to store it all, so instead they used the spare seat to store another plate and don't get me started on the queue for pancakes in the morning!!!! Hotel should look at limiting the amount someone can take. Maybe 4 per plate. Honestly you spend most of ur breakfast queuing for them and all because people were piling their plates high again with no regard for others. at the end of each meal the amount of food wasted is criminal and bar takings,I'm sure, are way down. There didn't seem to be half as many people in the bar as there was in 2011 so the atmosphere at night was lacking at times. All in all we had a great holiday apart from the wife's purse getting snatched on Saturday night on Carrer de Sarragosa. So please beware especially in the evening when the streets are busy. To finish I have to say I would not recommend this hotel for anyone from Western Europe no matter what language you speak. The cultural differences with the majority of the guests are too great and will impact on your overall enjoyment.

• Stayed: July 2013

Dear customer,

Thank you for sharing your experience at TripAdvisor. We are happy to know that you have enjoyed to eat at Dorada Palace's restaurante and that you have enjoyed our services like bar and entertainment.

We understand your suggestion about the control of the amount of food that people take on the restaurant, but, as you said in your review, is a cultural issue, because in the East countries like Russia, is cultural to bring all the food into table and not get up all the time. As you saw, they normally bring everything to table and then they start to eat.

We hope to welcome you soon back at Dorada Palace. Thank you for your loyalty.

Kind regards,

Reviewed July 9, 2013

i stayed here for 2 weeks great hotel close enough 2 everythink for me an my family , but for older people a bit of a hill or people in wheel chairs could be a bit of a struggle ,rooms basic but fine we wer up an out every day ,staff ok entertainment not that good for the older kids not much for older kids ,food i found ok never really went 2 the bigger pool because it was to full all the time i would stay here again

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family

Dear customer,

Thank you for sharing with us and with the Tripadvisor community your experience at Dorada Palace.

We are so happy to know that you wish to return in the future.
We write down all your suggestions which help us to improve.

We look forward to welcome you soon again.
Kind regards,

Reviewed July 8, 2013

I stayed here mid June for 14nights with my husband and 3 boys aged 10,7 & 3. We booked through thomson on a self catering basis. The hotel was spotless and the cleaners were very friendly. The reception staff are very rude and bark at you if u go near the reception area with no shoes on (including my 7 year old who was shouted at by a member of staff)
We decided to pay an extra 700euros while we were there to upgrade to half board to save us having to travel out for meals. We ate in there twice, the food was disgusting and drinks were expensive in the restaurant. I asked for a refund for the upgradeband they gave it back me, so we continued on eating out, there are 2 restaurants just 2 min walk (Linda's and the dubliner) we ate in these most days and food was much much nicer and staff are lovely :-)

The entertainment is not aimed for English children, although my kids weren't fussed. The location is great only few minutes to shops and beach.
You have to pay deposits for everything, safe, iron, remote control, cots, towels etc etc so be prepared.
I believe thomsons have now stopped using this hotel as its no longer aimed for the English guests

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and loved salou, although next time we wouldn't return to this hotel as its not aimed for English at all.

• Stayed: June 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor. We write down all your comments and and we regret that you had find that our food offer in the restaurant isn't as good as you expected to. The menu is the same as the last years and is an international menu with different themed dinners in summer.

The main issue we want to remark is that Dorada Palace work with different Touroperators from Uk and Ireland and we have lots of customers which have made their reservation through our website, or a direct booking, or through agencies or Touroperators (differents from Thomson), and they have informed us that they are happy with their stay with us.

We accept all nationalities, and we will be happy to welcome lots of British customers like before, and French, Spanish, Italian, Russian....and so on. We do not care what nationality our customers are, all are the same to us. Most important goal to Dorada Palace is that our customers are satisfied and happy with their vacation.

You can see in our website that we sell rooms without any nationality restriction. Thomson touroperator have decided not promote the Costa Dorada hotels like before, so you have to ask them about the reasons of why they offer you different destinations instead selling hotels in Costa Dorada.

We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

This hotel / Aparthotel looks great on the outside but inside, well. I found the staff friendly when you could get to them for ignorant guests of the Russian variety. The hotel was full of them. Very little English was spoken by the Entertainment staff. Gangnam style appeared to be the main music they had.The kitchen equipment in the apartments was very crude and basic. Had to ask for a bread Knife and was looked at in dis belief by staff saying it should be there and made to feel as if we had lost it. Would not go again to this hotel. Have slept in more comfortable beds in a caravan.

Room Tip: Don't go here.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

Dear customer,

Thank you for your comments on TripAdvisor.

Regarding the entertainment, the staff speak mainly Spanish and English, and a little bit of French and several sentences and word in Russian. The Gagnam style is the main song this season to dance on the stage but they dance lots of different songs and do on the stage lots of shows and activities with music, like Zumba.

We regret that you can't sleep well in our apartment, and we are sorry for the problem with the knife.

Reviewed July 5, 2013

Ok first time ive ever felt the need to write a review to let others no exactly what to expect. Hotel looks good and the place is spotless . Be prepared to pay deposits for everything from table tennis bats controls for tv key for mini bar and key for the safe . Also you will be charged €20 per week for use of the safe and €8 per adult tourist tax . Hotel is only 5 mins walk from the main strip with a small little incline on the way back up to hotel . Ok so on to the negatives the food oh my god the food . Lots of choice of the poorest quality cuts of meat you will ever come across and awful deserts and no im not being harsh its really poor and you will struggle to find anything that you can swallow JUST REMEMBER YOU GO ON HOLIDAYS TO ENJOY YOURSELF AND YOU SHOULD NOT HAVE TO PUT UP WITH JUST EATING SOMETHING FOR THE SAKE OF IT . We went half board but ended up after day 2 eating out for our breakfast and evening meal . 2nd problem was the evening entertainment everything in this hotel seems to based for our Russian and Spanish friends with very little English being spoken during shows . Next up are the rules on arrival you will be given an a4 size page back and front of lots of things you cant do. If you smoke this hotel is a definite no no . Rooms are nice and are cleaned daily and the kids will have tiny pops to watch on the telly with another 5 or 6 English channels. Reception staff are rude and unhelpful our daughters big giraffe teddybear somehow grew legs and walked out of our room and after a battle with reception staff they eventually rang the laundry room and we got it returned with not as much as a sorry . You will constantly hear them shouting and barking at guests for not wearing a t shirt or flip flops going through reception its actually funny if you just sit down and watch this happen for 30 mins. I could go and and on all day telling you bad things . If your irish do not go you will regret that you wasted your summer holiday at this hotel . I always read reviews on tripadvisor and I often think oh that person must be very fussy when I read a bad review but in this case trust me save you hard earned money and go somewhere else .

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank sonia m
DoradaPalaceHotel, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel-Aparthotel Dorada Palace, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor.

We regret that you and your family had gone from the hotel disappointed with your holidays here.

Regarding the problem with the giraffe teddybear we are sorry about that, from the quality department, we will speak with reception to check what has happened.

We are happy to know that your children enjoyed our Children Channels on TV .
About the entertainment, it is mainly in Spanish, with some English and French translations and very few sentences/words in Russian (entertainment staff don't speak Russian, they only know several standard sentences and words).

In reference with the rules in the hotel, we are sorry if you feel that we have a lot of them but, as we said in previous reviews, we need standards of behaviour in order to make the stay of all our customers enjoyable and secure. For example, it is forbidden to get to reception hall barefoot(or barefoot and wet from the pool) because the marble floor is slippery and you can slip and hurt you. And the non smoking law is a national law, it isn't a hotel rule. Sorry for the inconvenience.

We write down all your comments. Thank you again for sharing your experience with us.