“dont believe everything you read”

Ohtels Villa Dorada
Ranked #7 of 93 Hotels in Salou
Reviewed October 19, 2013

My partner and i stayed here from 13th sep for one week,and yes we were there when the large party from newcastle were there we found them freindly and good fun and i think i know who julie from birmingham was and why she made those comments i dont know as all she did was moan about the germans.Now back to our holiday room was spotless,food was ok but i am a fussy eater but my partner found it ok,evening entertainment was not so good.We had the oppertunity to go to football match in barcelona and it was fantastic a must if your a footie fan.Tamara the thompson rep was brill.

1  Thank Carol E
Sebastian P, Gerente at Ohtels Villa Dorada, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2013

Hello, we are very happy to know that he spent a good stay. We liked the comment about the food and we are pleased that even being a fussy eater we have gotten your satisfaction. Thank you very much!

There are newer reviews for Ohtels Villa Dorada

Reviewed October 18, 2013

I travelled here in Oct 2013 with my friend and our 9 year old children. After reading some of the other reviews we were apprehensive about what we would find but had a lovely time! When we arrived the room I was allocated stank of cigarette smoke but as soon as I informed reception they gave me a different room. The rooms were what you would expect from a three star hotel - cleaned daily and fresh towels every day if you wanted them too. There were two double beds and enough storage space. The food was fresh, hot and varied every meal and the waitress was a lovely girl who seemed to be there all the time. The guy on the restaurant door (Paco) was a bit miserable but it didn't spoil anything for us. We had no problems with sunbeds or the pool although this may be different if the hotel is fuller. The night time entertainment did leave a little to be desired but we went out to a couple of clubs (I can thorourhly recommend Decades, House of Illusion and Chaplins - all child friendly) All in all a very pleasant enjoyable holiday at a reasonable price.

Room Tip: We had a pool room and got sun for most of the day.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Stalborg

Hello, we are flattered that happened a good holiday and thank you for sharing your feelings. Thank you very much and until next time!

Reviewed October 17, 2013

I went with my partner beg of october. Room was ready when we arrived at 12. No hair dryer but took my own basic room. Beds 10 out of 10 for comfort. We had 5 th floor on the top over looking the street quite enjoyed sitting on balcony watching people ect . Bin men came at about 2 am one night but was awake . Noise never woke me once i was asleep.We went for dinner on the afternoon at 1 .30 pm on day of arrival but did not know it meant we could not use the all inclusive after 12 dinner time on day of departure so could not get drinks or afternoon lunch and we was not being picked up from hotel till half 4 30 pm. We had to pay for drinks and food never been all inclusive and had to buy food and drinks on last day.Breakfast same as usual eggs, bacon, cold meats, salads, cereals ect .Afternoon meals was meals no burgers you still salads and plenty to choose from. Evening meals was great . Could not fault the food it was always hot and plenty to choose from the roast pork and beef was to die for .Only problem i had was you could not get a glass of water or wine with your meal you had to have the bottle . I wanted to try the wine as i like sweet wine and i did not want a bottle so had none . I had a big bottle of water every night and had one glass out and had to leave it on the table as you was not allowed to take it out. .Dont even try to take any thing out from the restaurant as there are mirrors all round and one little girl got a orange and her mother put it in her bag and the was seen and was asked to put it back. We missed breakfast one morning so went to the bar to order a snack waited 20 mins for a ham and cheese roll and had to leave it as dry and horrible. ordered burgers and fries one afternoon and no fries as fryer had broke . Went another day and bar man got confused and had to wait 25 mins for burger and fries as some one else got my order. Got sun bed no problem at 11 am. Most people went to the beaches i think. There was entertainment every evening looked really good but we went out to the Victoria bar just round the corner they played bingo every night at 9 till 10 then quiz and then a singer. Went in to Salou one night and went to Chaplins bar great night open till 2 or 3 am well worth a visit .We went to Salou before so we did not go on any trips i.e Porta Venturs , Barcelona, house of illusion . We got a bus card 14 euros and you can go on the buses and do 10 journeys so went to la Pineda Taragonna ect. Had a great week and hotel was not to bad and food was good . Yes i would go back prob same hotel . We paid £300 each for a all inclusive 3 star so was not a bad price . No good for mobility as it is a bit of a hill.Yes there was a few kids about but its a family hotel if you don't want children then go to couples only hotel

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Thanks to convey their feelings. we will consider any of us give details exposed. thank you very much

Reviewed October 17, 2013

firstly the hotel is on a hill , and anyone with mobility problems will be trapped there unless using a taxi to get back up the hill
as for the hotel this is only a 3 star so don't expect any luxury from it, but the rooms are a good size and basic , nice bathroom with a walk-in shower , all cleaned to a good standard each day ,but forget the t v unless you speak Spanish
meals are served in the basement restaurant but beware the jobsworth on the door who needs a personality transplant , be prepared to stand in a slow moving queue if you like an egg in the morning , the chef is a master of recycling , thing like lasagne 3 days running until it was gone ,except for the ribs one night nothing memorable to mention
at night with only one bar there seems to be a permanent queue even as the bar crew work very hard
entertainment in the evening for adults is non existant except for flamenco dancers or a parrot show , I would recommend going to the Victoria bar on the next street for a night out

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your comments and appreciate your visit in Villa Dorada. We try to get the maximum satisfaction for our clients, both in quality of service, food (over 25 varieties) and animation (5 hours entertainment for children, 7 hours for adults entertainment, plus the show or evening show every night). It hurts not having achieved your satisfaction. Best regards!

Reviewed October 15, 2013

if any 1 is thinking of going to this hotel ,and they have the slightest mobility problem DONT GO its on a hill not a [gentle slope] as thomsons brochure advitises,my friend and i went to this hotel for 14 nights, we could,nt state any stronger that we had bad mobility problems and we wanted a hotel on the FLAT, well they came up with this hotel told us emphatically its was on the flat ,,well on a gentle slope,[ lies ] they even said it was mobility adaped [ lies ] the ramps out side the front were too steep to be mobility adapable the 1 by the pool area was ok , the doors did not open automaticly , as they should if it was mobility adapted the lifts , were to small to fit a wheel chair in with space. 1 bar for the whole hotel which was full of kids day and night so u were queing be behind kids in the night to get a drink , the food was crap even for a 3 star well al in all ,,only for the rep tamara re funding the taxi fare to the beach and back we would of been prisoners in the hotel thank you Tamara.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Sebastian P, Gerente at Ohtels Villa Dorada, responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2013

Good afternoon. As I already said to your friend, I'm really sorried but Hotel cannot be moved. I just want to ask a couple of questions. One is why have you exposed a picture from this ramp, which is not used by nobody? why don't you say that there's a good one at the Hotel entrance? And why don't you explain that you can move all around the Hotel with the wheel chair, reception, bar, restaurant, indoor swimming pool, outdoor swimming pool, everywhere? I don't remember which chair is yours but all normal (I understand normal the typical chairs) chairs have been always able to use the lifts without problems. Thank you for your visit.

Reviewed October 15, 2013

What a letdown! Requested hotel on the flat because of mobility problems - it was at the top of a steep hill. Food was atrocious, often cold and restaurant staff extremely rude, especially Ricardo. Rooms were clean and adequate. Reception staff and Thompson rep Tamara did all they could for us with a smile. Our rep tried to get us a move but on offer was 1 week at a cost of 435 euros each which we did not have. I was offered mobility scooter for free which would have been more of a hindrance. Eventually our taxis to the beach and back were paid for. Could not find gardens and 1 bar open for everyone which was used by kids as well for ice cream etc. Entertainment was a joke. 2 lifts (holding 4) for the whole hotel so sometimes a wait. 2 parasols between all and no quiet area to chill. Prisoners of an evening because no bus passes the hotel the nearest stop was at the bottom of the steep hill. Only 2 bars and a souvenir shop near the hotel. This is starred as 'handpicked'. Whole holiday was a disaster.

1  Thank June C

Hello. I'm really sorried if the Hotel was not what you expected but there are some comments which I do not agree at all. During all the season allmost customers have expressed that food is brillant, with many variety and quality. I have explain many times to other customers about it as you can see but, obviously, if you want exclusive English food you will never like our buffet because it is International, with meals for every body, all nationalities including some typical dishes for them as for English people we have "steak and kidney pie", "Chicken pie", "fisherman's pie" or "shepherd's pie" for example. About the entertainment let you know that is one of the most appreciated department by customers, I think your mobility difficulties have been the reason for those comments but in any case I'm really sorried. Finally, the Hotel is located on the same site since it was build and we cannot change it but other people have used a 4 wheel scooter and it has been not only helpful, also has help them to enjoy the hollidays. My apologies again.

Reviewed October 14, 2013

We stayed for two weeks in September and I have not really got any complaints about the hotel apart from the food. I'm not a fussy eater by any means but I like to know what goes into my food and unfortunatley I could not tell with the hotel foods. Yes there is plenty chips, pizzas and burgers to eat if you don't like any of the dishes but if you eat them day in day out then it becomes tiresome. I'm never going to eat veal again because that seems to be all the meat they served for the two weeks. All of the staff at the hotel were brilliant and very helpful - more so the receptionists. Always greeting you with a hello and a smile. The bar staff worked flat out and were always very happy. So what if you had to que for a couple of minutes if there was a few people at the bar, you still got your drinks didn't you? The animation team were brilliant with the kids and always made a fuss of my daughter and son. Again Bonbom and Laura worked hard and with the split shifts that they had to do then hands up to them. The hotel itself isn't in that bad of condition, yes it could do with updating but the cleanliness of it was absolutely fine. Our room was cleaned daily and beds changed every other day. It's a shame that the sun doesn't get round to the pool until 11ish because if the wind picks up before the suns out then it can get a little bit chilly. We had many a good day around the pool talking to the other guests. We met some really nice people and got on very well with them........ Oh I forgot to mention I was part of that "very large Newcastle" family and would just like to point out to Julie who has made the earlier comment about my group that you really shouldn't tar everyone with the same Brush. Yes there was 30 of us but the pool incident you referred too only involved one member of that 30 and it was dealt with by the hotel staff immediately afterwards. To say that we all had intimidating behaviour is wrong and you need to think about what you write and how it can be seen by others. Anyways iv had my say so alls left is that you can only find the hotel the way you want too. We enjoyed our two weeks here and thank all the staff for making our stay an enjoyable one. TUCCI TUCCI :-)

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank Amylew83

Well, thank you very much for your critique and feedback on your stay
We are very happy that you spent a good holiday with us. Many thank you very much for having been in Villa Dorada and we hope to see you again!