“Great Family Break!”

Ohtels Villa Dorada
Ranked #7 of 93 Hotels in Salou
Reviewed August 18, 2013

We stayed at the Villa Dorada from the 12-19th of August and upon arrival at 10 am, our room was available at lunchtime. Reception staff were very friendly, reliable and knowledgeable. My 2 children aged 7 & 5 enjoyed the breakfasts (served from 8-10:30am) everything from Yoghurt, fresh fruit,waffles and cakes and pastries.

Highlights were chatting with Dimitry and Khalifa the security staff, both hardworking and friendly people who took time out to chat to listen to the kids. Soft sandy Beaches close by- for a 3 Star Hotel this is good value!!

• Stayed: August 2013
Sebastian P, Gerente at Ohtels Villa Dorada, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2013

Hello, Thanks for your words. We are lucky with our guests. They help us to become better every day. We will wait for you next year. Thank you.

There are newer reviews for Ohtels Villa Dorada

Reviewed August 18, 2013

I agree with all the comments from the previous review stayed from 10th until 17th August and had a brilliant time, excellent value for money. We are a family of 17 ages varying from 72 down to 6 and every one of us had a fabulous time. The only issue we had was the distance from the beach which was not down to the hotel.

1  Thank Susan S
Sebastian P, Gerente at Ohtels Villa Dorada, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2013

Hello. Thank you for the time you spend to write those lines. With customers like you, as I said many times before, all is so easy.... Come back again, it will be a pleasure for us.

Reviewed August 16, 2013

Just spent an amazing week staying at the Hotel Villa Dorada, Salou, from Friday 9th - Friday 16th on an all inclusive basis. I stayed here with my husband and our daughter (who's 16). Hopefully, this review will be useful to people, however some of my comments may offend! I've actually been itching to write this review as reading some of the comments on here has seriously made my blood boil! So here goes...

Arrival: We arrived at around 12:20pm and like others were told that our room would not be ready until around 2:00pm. We were given our all inclusive bands though, so we were able to get a drink and eat lunch. In fairness I had emailed Oh!tels and requested a pool view and that's exactly what they gave us and we loved it. Basic, but clean and it had a huge corner balcony. Oh and air conditioning FREE!

Staff: All of the staff work extremely hard at this hotel and too be honest I found all of them cheerful and polite throughout our stay. There seems to be a friendly atmosphere among them all and that really does help leave the hotel with a lovely atmosphere. The hotel is spotless! Rooms are spotless, the reception is spotless, the restaurant is spotless, the pool area starts off spotless...really it is non-stop for them.

Pool: Well Thomson holidays didn't 'mislead' me with the pool. It quite obviously shows the pool to be the size it is and in fairness it's not a bad size. There was always people in the pool and nobody seemed to be getting in anyones way ~ everyone seemed to be having fun! There is plenty of space for lilos and rings and people...Now I love music and I enjoyed listening to the tracks that were played throughout the holiday around the pool area. There was a variety of music and yes some Spanish songs were played *shock* but relax and you just may enjoy them. I did! I also love to read and even with the music and the laughter and the squeals, I still read around four books...so it really wasn't 'disco mania'. If all else fails then may I suggest some ear plugs and a blindfold!

The pool area starts off spotless! Thanks to Mamadou the young man who works alone at night scrubbing the area clean for us all. Moving all the sunbeds (and I counted at least 98), cleaning the whole area and then putting them back. This man deserves a lot of praise as he works totally alone and does a fab job.

Okay the lifeguard...yes LIFEGUARD...not childminder...watch your own children. Now this seems to be a good time to mention the 'perimeter wall' being slightly low. When my children were young, we stayed in France in a caravan site with NO perimeter wall...I had to 'watch them'.

Food: Breakfast ~ delicious! I'd promised myself that this holiday was going to be 'healthy'... and I was going to eat cereal for breakfast. I lied! Sausage, bacon, the most delicious hash browns or chips (yes chips and they went down a treat). The chef makes omelettes and pancakes (totally fresh), while you watch and wait. Ooooh and lots of lovely pastries and bread...oh and fruit (which sadly I can't comment on).

Lunch: Oh my lord...how I managed to eat lunch after breakfast I'll never know, but I did! Lunch had a huge variety of foods, breads, fruits etc.

Dinner: Really I rolled to dinner! Show cooking every night, pizza, curries, stews, rice, fish...you name it, they have it...oh and it's hot and delicious.

Puddings: cakes, fruit, ice cream. Plenty of choice.

Parents I spotted 2 children from 2 different families FILL their plates with honeydew and water melon. Now had those children eaten all of that melon, I've not doubt that the rest of their holiday would be spent with their bottom attached firmly to the toilet! But oh no...they just left it, untouched on their plate and so in the bin it went!

Now if you really couldn't find anything to eat that you liked, the hotel serves burgers, hot dogs, chips and pizza at times when the restaurant is closed. And if you're still not happy, then well maybe next year STAY AT HOME!

Sunbeds: I went to breakfast at 8:00am, ate and then queued from around 8:35-8:40. The doors open at 9:00 and yes there is tension (it's a little like a school race), but NOBODY runs, nobody flies through the air to get a bed. We walk (yes it's a quick walk, but still a walk is a walk), get a bed and sit on it. Now I stayed on my bed except to go to the bar, lunch ect, as did most people. There are a few people who abuse it, but this hotel has the best system I've seen and if security notice that you've not been there then it's 'bye bye' to your towel and HALLELUJAH to that!

Drinks: A good choice of drinks, but a bonus is BOTTLED water. I think that this year I drank the least amount of alcohol ever due to the fact that I could drink bottled water. A godsend!

Wifi: Works well first thing or very late. If all else fails, you can pay and use a computer. But lets me honest here. People left in England do not want to read on Facebook about how we are having a great time in the sun...even me...(and I'm the Facebook Queen here in Dudley)...I managed without constant access to other peoples lives! I survived without Candy Crush! You can too!

Entertainment: Mexican dancers one night were good and the African dancers/fire-eaters/acrobats were amazing! The young animators work hard and although I stayed FIRMLY on my bed, I'm sure they'll be happy to know that the 'Oh!tels song' is now firmly installed in my head.

Location: Perfect! Three beautiful beaches (within walking distance), loads of bars, restarants, clubs etc.

Moans (and there are only a couple): Rooms do have only 2 sockets (and one of those is in the bathroom), so if I went again I would purchase a 'double socket' from the airport.

One day we had no towels in our room. That wasn't too bad as a quick trip to reception should have sorted it (it was 6pm)...but I had to go down again at 7:15 as still no towels. They did then appear pretty quickly.

Now we did have quite a faulty socket to begin with, but it was fixed IMMEDIATELY!

None of the above though affected my rating.

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: When you are packing your bikinis and your suncreams, remember to pack your MANNERS (you know please, thank you, holding the door open etc). That was my biggest issue and it was the visitors NOT the staff. Also the Hotel Villa Dorada caters for lots of different nationalities...so if all else fails then keep your smile with you. It doesn't matter whether you are English, Irish, Scottish, Welsh, German, Russsian, French etc...we all understand what a smile means.

Now I know that I've mentioned him, but I'm going to ask a favour of you all. If you are travelling to the Villa Dorada then smile and say a thank you to the hard working Mamadou ~ We actually stalked him on the early hours of Friday morning and eventually tracked him down at 1:00 am (we had to be up at 6:30) in the morning, working at the hotel next door, to say thank you to him. He is a 'quiet gentleman' who really works hard, yet it's as though nobody even sees him.

A big thank you to all the staff (there's no 'i' in 'team'). You all do a great job ~ nice meeting Sebastian, who actually does know the hotel. Great to put a face to the name! Well done to Oh!tels ~ we will be back...

If you're off to Salou then you are going to have a great time, if you're thinking of booking...go on press that button. We will wait until next year and see what our finances are like and if we can go away...then this will be the first place I look at! Enjoy!

10  Thank Roberts_Family_of_4

Many many thanks for your opinion. As you have said some people will not like it sure because as we say in Spain who says the truth loses the friends. Is nice to see that somebody tryied to really look for the reallity at the Hotel, not anly an impression or a personal opinion not objective. Again many thanks for explaining how hard we work. You are ther first who sees somebody like Mamadou who works really hard every day looking after our customers hapinness and confort. Come back again please, you make so easy our job..... Thank you.

Reviewed August 14, 2013

very clean,very good housekeeping staff,helpfull at reception,stayed h\b 5th to 12th aug,good variety of food for all ages, room not ready when we arrived 2 hour wait, bar not good no bottles of bud on day of arrival could get them everywhere else,no choice of draught so spent every night in bars nearby ,pool opened at 9am queues at 8.10am no beds at 9.10am some people put towels on beds for six people but they were empty for most of day saw some very frustrated people with kids who could not get beds at 11am even though they were 90% empty asked for pool view got road view above bottle bank,indoor pool very nice,air con good once i figured it out

Room Tip: pool view lower floors
2  Thank Anthony W
Sebastian P, Gerente at Ohtels Villa Dorada, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2013

Hello. Many thanks for your visit and your opinion. As you have said the only problem we have at this moment is the people that abuses with the sunbeds but we try to take all towels when we see nobody on them for a long time. Best regards.

Reviewed August 13, 2013

we were there from 6th aug to 13th aug 2013 fully inclusive, many of the visitors thatwere there had to wait for upto nearly 3 hours for our room to be ready, which we were never told by our booking agents. not even a courtesy voucher for drinks or any snack, we were travelling with 2 children ages 4 and 5.( flight left brum @ 0625. Could not get any where near to the kiddies pool as it was full with adults with no kiddies so no sun lounges left. Sun lounges empty for most of the day with towels left on. No satelite tv as advertised, only bbc news channel to watch in english. Asked for a hot chocolate for my four year old at the bar/restuarant and was told they do not make this in the busy periods but they can do cold chocolate, no apple juice, not much of the foods for the all inclusive were being sold. No pegs in the bathroom to hang your clothes. I will never visit that hotel again and would not recommend to family and friends, would rather pay extra for a four or five star. Have stayed in better 3 star hotels. Only good was the food and the staff were friendly.

Room Tip: my tip is not to go there. pay the extra for a better hotel
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Good afternoon. I supose that reviews must be objective. If you arrive at this time, normally you have to wait until other people leave their rooms to be cleaned for the new customers. It sounds funny to read there were no sunbeds as other people have said we are used to take the towels when nobody is on them. On tv you have 3 english channels and many other for other nationalities as you can understand. About the bar I'm sure they didn't understand you but
if you say bar/restaurant I'm not sure what you talk about. Finally why do you want any pegs if you have a drying rack at the terrace? Thank you.

Reviewed August 12, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the villa dorada from 3rd-10th August and have to say I was dreading it what with the really bad reviews. All I can say is people are far too fussy. The staff were excellent and very accomodating and funny for all of the week. There was an excellent variety of food granted it wasn't Michelin star quality but was certainly more than edible. The entertainment was top notch and very varied. The hotel was up a bank which may not suit everyone but I've walked up a lot worse in Spain and the location was pretty decent. All in all me my mother and daughter found the villa dorada a most pleasureable hotel and had the best experience and will be definitely returning in 2015. P.s. I think the hotel is on its way to being a 4 star. Keep up the good work x

• Stayed: August 2013

Hello. Thank you so much, people like you make our job easier and gives us extra energy to continue. Come back please. Thanks.

Reviewed August 11, 2013

we stayed from 1st to 8th august on a half board basis
room basic but clean asked for more pillows on arival they were in my room within 5 mins so that was good
food to be fair was quite nice cleaning staff work hard
good english speaking and friendly staff on reception
bad points .. bathroom door hanging off and plaster coming off the wall in our room 104 requested a pool view but got the road side which was quite noisy
the pool atendent was extremly ignorant (one day a child had pooed in the pool and we made him awate of this and he basicaly snapped my head off )
also a major gripe of mine was no where near enough sunbeds was a fight in a morning to get one even though we saw at least 60 of them stacked up in a locker room .... why not let us use them ?
another bad point was the ramp to the childrens pool was extremely dangerous it was wayy to slippy i now that cant be helped but maybee some rubber matting on the slope would help i saw at least 5 people fall on that ramp serious safety issue
staff in the restaraunt were quite miserable
we never used the entertainment as it was cheaper to go out at night for us but everyone was moaning about it round the pool
yes a 3 star hotel which is what i payed for could be a lot nicer for quite little money
one more tip for managment maybee a guide in your room explaining how electric works and air con (which isnt verry good )works on arival i had to run down 3 times to sort simple problems which could be explained on said guide

Room Tip: try not to get a room near the road i had to sleep with ear plugs in
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Hello. Thanks for your comments but let me clarify some points. First is that the floor at the swimming pool area was settled last year and is a non-slip flooring. The life guard is a nice boy but I try to understand how boring can be his job. As you said there are som sunbeds, broken on a locker room waiting to be changed but there are enought sunbeds at this moment. Finally, I do not understand why you have said that restaurant staff are miserable but they do a great job and are friendly and respectous. Thank you.