“Best Negresco 1, Cap Salou, Good value hotel with international flavour”

Hotel Best Negresco
Ranked #28 of 94 Hotels in Salou
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Best Negresco 1, Cap Salou, Good value hotel with international flavour”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2009

We went as a family of 4 in August, and I have to say that we were pleasantly surprised with this hotel. The rooms were excellent, the staff were multilingual and always helpful, the pool was great and the food SUPERB. I have just read another review below from somebody who went the same month as me, who had nothing good to say about the place, but I have to say that I disagree with most of what that person says, as my experiences were very different.

Firstly the bedrooms - amazing, two double beds in each room, and free air conditioning. We had a 4th floor sea view room that was modern, clean and airy. Laminate floor throughout, and a lovely bathroom with bath, shower, toilet, sink and bidet, all marble tiled and very nice indeed. The maid came in every day and mopped the floors, made the beds and picked our clothes up. Towels were changed twice in 7 days. There was also a safe that cost money to use, but I can't remember what, we did use it, but we do that anywhere we go to be on the safe side (no pun intended).

We were half board and the food was EXCELLENT, I cannot understand anybody not liking it. Breakfasts were all buffet style and featured a choice of full English buffet (bacon, eggs etc), continental buffet, chips, bread, cereals, pancakes made in front of you, pastries, crepes, croissants, cakes, fruit juice, tea, coffee, chocolate....and best of all champagne (well Cava) all free.

Dinner was a mixture of Spanish, and more homogenous international fayre including burgers, hot dogs, roast meats, chips, seafood etc. Again this was buffet style, with desert included, and there really was something for everybody. It could get very busy in the evening, and we found it best to go early, i.e. nearer 7pm than 9pm.

The hotel entertainment was pretty basic, but in some ways was funny through it's 'Hi-De-Hi' nature. The waiting staff were rushed off their feet, so service could take a while, but if you give a little tip, then it doesn't always seem to take as long. If you throw the odd Spanish word in, they appreciate the effort and give you a smile and a nod - it all helps.

The people who were stopping at the hotel were roughly: 50% Spanish; 20% Russian; 20% British; and 10% French. The pool activities were in either Spanish, French or English depending on which of the entertainment team was on hand. It was lovely to see all the kids and teens mucking in together though irrelevant of where they were from. Even some of the parents did too. I was angered every day at the number of people who put towels on sunbeds at 9am and then just left for the day, and looking at those towels, including Football team ones, i have to say that a fair few were Brits - very poor I say. With that said on most days we still managed to find a place to sit.

The pool is crescent shaped, and stupidly closes at 7pm, but as soon as the 'pool man' finished stacking sunbeds at 8pm and left, the pool was full again, indeed there were people in there at all hours. The pool area has sun on it from around 10am until 8:30pm in August. Which also means that if you have a pool / sea view room that you'll need to keep your blinds CLOSED or you will come home to a greenhouse.

The hotel itself is built on a rocky outcrop and is directly on the Sea, you couldn't expect to be any closer. The beach is right next door and a 2 minute walk away, the sea was lovely and warm and shallow for a long way out. Many swimmers, snorkellers etc. If you go, take a snorkel and a disposable underwater camera as there were loads of fish.

The hotel reception is staffed 24 hours, and is also a free wi-fi zone, they give you a code behind reception. It did crash a few times but for free it was OK.

Over the road from the hotel is the Negresco 2, this is a more modern sister hotel, we went over some days for a change of pool and found that this pool was always quiet with ample spare sunbeds - little tip for you there.

At the top of the street are the bus stops for Salou, Cambrils, La Pineada, Tarragona, and Port Aventura. Most days there is a girl in a high vis vest on hand to help out, that is if she isn't being chatted up by one of the local coppers, very amusing to watch day-in-day-out i have to say.

Here's my lowdown on the surrounding areas:

Salou - first class dump, if you want to go to Spain and have 'a cup of Tetley Tea with 2 digestives for 2 Euro' then you're a pretty sad case as far as I'm concerned. Salou epitomises what's wrong with some of the Costa's. The beach is good, but the town and nightlife needs to change. And indeed it will, I predict within the next ten years that 70% of Brit owned businesses will have been bought by Russians, as this is the fastest growing international market in this area, and what many of the pubs are offering is well outdated, I for one don't want 'John Smiths', 'Tetleys' and 'Apple Pie with Custard'. Most of the pubs in Salou are trapped somewhere in-between 1960 and 1985 and consequently will go the same way as the Do-Do. In August peak season on a Saturday night....they were DEAD. That says something.

Cambrils - Altogether nicer than Salou, classier, and a better market and beach.

La Pineda - Lovely beach, waterpark that I didn't go to, but heard good things about.

Tarragona - The town Centre is a dump, but the dock area is interesting, and so are the ruins near the beach.

Portaventura - BRILLIANT. But get there for 9.30am and be the first on the big rides, go straight to the Wild West and Mexico areas for the wooden roller coasters. At 11am Dragon Khan opens. We did this and got on every ride, the queues seem to peak in the middle of the day and then die off gain in late afternoon. Dunno what it's like in the evening, but it's open until midnight. From Cap Salou if there are 4 of you, a taxi is the same price as the bus and a lot faster. The hotel staff will order you one if you ask.

That's all I have to say really, if you would like to look at a video of the Best Negresco 1 then I have uploaded one here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYgGpTFY2No

I have also uploaded videos for Portaventura: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtCx5v8McnY

Salou Beach: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTp9JrqiEH4

Cambrils: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpYe9NR832o

Adios Amigos

1 Thank stumoss

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (202)
  • Polish first
yorkshire
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2009

was attacked by the hotel porter and then the police cant wait to go home. was suppose to stop for two weeks but now going home after one.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank avonbarksdale3000

Travelers are raving about these Salou hotels

Midhurst, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2009

Great for families with kids, entertainment finished every night at 12ish. Our room was on ground floor, a bit noisy. Food was plentiful and an exceptable standard althoug a bit repetitive. If you are used to good cuts of meat and non processed meats then you will be dissappointed. Excellent beach, bar at the end of the street, cold beer, great sangria. 2euro a pint. Beer in hotel is not great unless you want to spend 3.80 a bottle. Would go back although when kids are back at school.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
4 Thank MLSurrey
merseyside
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2009

Worst holiday ever! if you want hot food they show you microwave,towels have holes in them,maid only cleans bathroom,worst rooms kept for british,you have to sit by pool at 8am and wait for man to come and unlock sunbeds at 9am then a big stampede,french an spanish feel the need to have sunbed,parasol,and chair to each person,so most british have to pay 8 euro on beach,actvities all spoken in french an spanish so british children can't join in,40 euro to keep room on for late checkout till 6pm,no courtsey room,shower in spa 5 euro's per person,if you don't want to stress yourself out go somewhere else,staff speak to you like there doing you a favour being there,i think they forget tourisim keep's them going,you have to clear table in restaurant yourself,if your british waiter's ignore you for drink's,"THIS HOTEL SHOULD STATE NO BRITISH"

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank happyholsmerseyside
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2009

As a hard-working single parent taking two 14 year old boys away, I wanted a combination of relaxation, peace and quite and a good standard of pampering at a reasonable price. After a lot of research, I selected the Negresco, recently taken over by the Best hotel group. Historically, the Nesgresco has had 3 stars but there are now decidedly 4 stars over the hotel entrance and the company appears to be doing everything it can to make it so and I’d definitely agree with this rating.

HERE’S THE BIGGEST TIP I CAN OFFER. Get flights through the budget airlines and book the hotel separately. Don’t book through the Best hotels website, even though they offer a 10% discount on adult prices for full board. I booked through the Teletext holidays website and got the same price for an upgrade to all inclusive (AI). Believe me, with the weak sterling pound against the Euro, this saved me a fortune and it meant we lived like kings. Booking through the Best website, an upgrade to all inclusive costs an extra 20 Euros per day per person so always go for the AI Teletext option. There was nothing second rate about the AI like one sometimes hears. I could order any alcoholic drink at the bar I could have possibly wanted, all the pool bar snacks were included, ice-creams, entry to the spa, steam room, Jacuzzi, etc. We wanted for nothing and I didn’t spend a single Euro inside the hotel perimeter. While other people were shelling out cash for drinks in the evening, I saved a fortune.

There’s nothing shabby about the hotel. True, if one looks closely at the architecture it clearly dates from the late 70’s but Best have done everything to pull it up to standard. The location is well away from the Salou centre which looks ghastly. If you want wild night life, then either take a taxi or stay somewhere else - the Negresco is a place to relax and live in luxury. Its setting is perched on rocks by the sea with a low density pine forest behind it. The seaward views and sun sets are stunning. The beach is a 2 minute walk from the hotel and much quieter than the other end of the beach that serves the more population urban area of Salou. The rooms are not overly large but comfortably furnished and well serviced by the staff. Nearly all rooms have at least a partial view of the sea but it is worth begging for a sea view when you book (you’ll be lucky to get one, though). There’s good lift access throughout.

Next comes the food. Quite simply, it’s fabulous. For mass catering, this is well above what I expected. There is something for everyone, even bottles of sparkling wine for breakfast for the Germans (a new one on me but whatever takes your fancy). Mealtimes were a joy. After a few days of gorging ourselves on steaks, fish, chicken breasts, kebabs and meat dishes generally we actually settled down to eat rather sensibly – salad and fruit mainly (partially due to the heat) and when I came home I discovered I’d actually lost 2kg in weight as a result. But whatever you chose to eat, it’ll be delicious. And the coffee that comes out of the machines is the real stuff, not some horribly watered down rubbish that some hotels try to foist on you. I took pictures of the daily food spread to give you some idea of the choice.

Entertainment. This never figures highly for me as I’m usually engrossed in a book but the hotel clearly took this seriously and the nightly series of acts was well above the normal standard. My boys went out of their way to be around to see it and I actually put my book down once or twice to watch.

During the day we tended to stay by the pool or go to the beach. Despite other reviews claiming the pool is on the small side (what do some people expect? Olympic size?), it was plenty large enough for us and warm as well. It’s beautifully positioned with sea views and a more than adequate supply of sun loungers. True, there is the daily ritual of ‘the laying out of the towels’ by some of our EU country representatives but we never bothered and still managed to get a good position whatever time of the day we decided to get up. The sun sweeps round from the left hand side of the pool (looking out to sea) and keeps this area in the shade until about 1pm so this area is a good choice. However, places become vacant in lots of spots throughout the day so there are no real worries and certainly none of the territorial wars I’ve witnessed in other hotels. With regard to the beach, take a mask and snorkel with you plus some bread from the restaurant. The boys spent hours by the rocks feeding the fish (dorada, which to us might be sea bream) but slap on the sun block.

Portaventura theme park. The boys were keen to go here and all the other reviews said how utterly amazing this place was. Again a good tip is to book the entry tickets via the hotel reception because you get 2 consecutive days for the price of 1. A bus leaves from the top of the road. Another BIG tip – leave early and get there for 10am when it opens. Most of the big rides boot up around 10.30 or 11.00am and we managed to get a least one go on all of them by 11.30am, including Dragon Khan. We were pretty much first in the queue when it opened and came straight off and had another go. Same goes for that awful 100m tower thing, the one where I virtually sobbed all the way up and then evacuated my bowels in the freefall drop. I’ve never been to a theme park in my life before believing that they are all American man-made synthetic amusements designed to rip your hard-earned cash from you and this completely lived up to my expectations but the boys rated it highly. Reading your book on a 100mph roller coaster is bloody difficult, I can tell you. Again, tips are; take plenty of bottled water (on-sight bottles of H2O cost about fifty quid) and put on double layers of full sun block or you’ll get burnt and spend the rest of the holiday whimpering. All in all, by midday the crowds had increased to the point that the queues became pointlessly long, we’d done what needed to be done and I needed some fresh underpants so we headed back to the safety of the hotel.

Overall, this was one of the most relaxing holidays I’ve ever had, the perfect antidote to my stressful working life. I had a wonderful time eating, reading, drinking and chatting to the other guests and the boys did pretty much the same. The best part was not having to worry about money so I urge to all to go for the AI deal if you can get it. Clearly, no other guests had gone for this option and I could see the green envy as I ordered my cocktails, ha! We all had a fantastic time and I’d even consider going again if I could find a budget airline deal.

One last bit of praise for the hotel. On our last night, and I assume coincidentally, the hotel were collecting evaluation forms just outside the restaurant. To facilitate this, they had the head chef carving and handing out Palma ham from a huge ‘jambon’, glasses of sparkling white wine and a beautiful single large red rose for EVERY female guest. Seriously impressive!

4 Thank Biologyman
Riga, Latvia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2009

I went there with a friend for one week at the end of july. Hotel is very clean, located in a beautifull see coast in the quiet area not very far from the center of Salou. I would recomend this hotel for the families with children. We were lucky because we got the room with the see view.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank Linducka
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2009

Just came back from two weeks at the Best Negrasco as its called now. Thought I would put some throughts together for anyone considering the hotel.

All in all we thought the quality of hotel was very good not quit 4 star but not far off it. The only bad point was the lack of sunbeds. However goods points would outweigh this such as rooms always clean, pool great (although very deep at 2.3m) food good, views if you get a sea view are fantastic otherwise hope you enjoy the road...

The hotel also has a kids club and evening entertainment which was quite good.

The hotel also has a good spa facility as well as hairdresser.

In terms of location its walking (although long walk) distance to Salou and a short bus ride to Port Adventurer.

Hotel is really aimed at families and all entertainment shuts at midnight...

Anyway I would personaly recommend this hotel if you are considering a family based holiday.

1 Thank HolidayHell123