“Nice hotel.....based on the facilities open”
Review of Ohtels Belvedere

Ohtels Belvedere
Ranked #9 of 93 Hotels in Salou
Reviewed April 5, 2013

We took our 2 children to this hotel in March 2013 and it was one of the best 3 star hotels that we have stayed in but not all of the facilities were open.

The swimming pool area was closed which we weren't aware of this before booking. If we'd have known this we wouldn't have booked as my children were very upset. Checking in took over 15 minutes so there were sometimes long queues if there were group reservations which was inconvenient if you just had a simple question. Our TV had no remote control which was annoying.

On a positive note, the hotel was clean, the staff were friendly, it was in a good location with regards to the beach, shops, crazy golf, restaurants etc. Out of season the area was incredibly quiet and some bars were empty but we found a few nice ones in the area. In season I can imagine the area attracts quite a few 'Brits Abroad' types. The hotel didn't seem to have those types of people in when we stayed though.

The entertainment was varied and everyone seemed to enjoy themselves, the bar was reasonably priced and the breakfast was good. Breakfast was a buffet which served most things; from fruit, yoghurts and cereal to omelettes, continental breakfast and fry ups!

We didn't eat any other meals there so I can't comment on them unfortunately.

The pool area looked nice and they were painting it whilst we were there. There was a children's play area and club too which looked ok. The Jacuzzi was nice but if you want to use it to relax, it's probably best to go when the pool is open as there were lots of children in it.

I'd possibly go back but when the pool was open. It should be made clear if it will not be open when booking though. The train station was about 15 minutes walk away and it took about an hour to get into the centre of Barcelona and, depending on the time and train company, only cost €8 each.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
David J, Director Hotel at Ohtels Belvedere, responded to this reviewResponded April 6, 2013

Dear Sarah,
Thank you very much for your comments. We are glad to see that you had quite a good time with us. I would like to say that the pool was closed because of the weather, and we took the decision to open it for the main days of Easter because the temperatures had gone up. As far as TV is concerned, we have all the remote controls at the reception desk and guests can take them leaving a deposit that we give back at the end of the stay when our guests bring them back.

Regarding the rest of your comments, I'd like to say that we hope to see you soon again so you can enjoy the pool and if you choose Half Board or Full Board you will realise that lunch and dinner keep the same standards as breakfasts do.

Thank you again for your comments and we hope to see you soon again in Hotel Belvedere.

There are newer reviews for Ohtels Belvedere

Reviewed April 4, 2013

Hotel was lovely we had our breakfast and dinners included there was such a selection for food .it was great and it was a 15 min walk distance from Porta Ventura the pool was lovely also .only problem was while in jacuzzi someone took a jersey from the dressing rooms which was a downer and staffs English wasn't great at front desk when we tried to explain what happened . We had cleaners in daily with fresh sheets and towel which was great, hotel said it had a gym it was very basic only about three machines

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
David J, Director Hotel at Ohtels Belvedere, responded to this reviewResponded April 5, 2013

Dear guest,
Thank you very much for your comments. We will keep working to maintain your level of satisfaction with our hotel. We are very sorry for what happened in the gym, if you give us some more information we will try to find out what really happened and we will check if your jersey has appeared among some other lost objects.
Thank you again for your words and we hope to see you soon again.

Reviewed March 27, 2013

Stayed here last year, as holiday hotels go it wasnt bad. Quite well located away from the hustle and noise of the sea front but still only a couple of minute walk away from all the bars and restaurants.

Breakfast was really good with a massive selection including freshly made omlettes and pancakes plus some english style stuff such like bacon and sausages.

Pool area was well kept although the pool wasnt heated so a bit nippy late in the season.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank blue_haddock
David J, Director at Ohtels Belvedere, responded to this reviewResponded March 30, 2013

Thank you very much for spending your time writing down about our Hotel. Our main target is to make people's holiday as good as possible, and we try our best to achieve it.
Thank you again for your time and your opinion and we hope to see you again this year.
Yours faithfully,

Reviewed January 19, 2013

the food is rubbish and is the same every night ,buffet style but all spanish or foreign in origin, have to pay for drinks in restaurant and unable to take drinks from bar, sauna,jacuzzi and steam room freezing, pool freezing ,promised satelite tv but no english channels, bad internet reception, rooms rubbish and not cleaned everyday,no reps on sight when required and dont listen,staff uncoperative and rude,a rubbish and extremely bad experience that thomson dont care about

Room Tip: none vant give any advice as rubbish
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank oliamone
David J, Director Hotel at Ohtels Belvedere, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2013

Dear guest,
We are very sorry that your stay was not as good as we all expected. However I must disagree with some of your points. Our food is usually one of the aspects most valued by our guests, its variety and its quality. Regarding jacuzzi, steam room and sauna, we follow the current legislation and the temperature is the one marked by law for public water zone. Moreover you can have a look to some other opinions about Hotel Belvedere where you will see that our cleaning, services and, above all, our staff are in accordance to a 3 star hotel (cleaning daily, towel changing,...)
Finally we just want to add that we have our internal quality system in which we can see what people do really think about the hotel and also the satisfaction level with travel agencies is good.
To sum up, just say that although we don't agree with your opinion, we take it into consideration because all coments help us improve, and we would like you to come again and really enjoy our hotel and our staff.
Thank you for spending some of your time to write down your opinion, we will take it into consideration.
Yours faithfully,

Reviewed December 1, 2012

We enjoyed our trip to salou and hotel was very good and the children entertainment was excellent. Food was good and a variety to choose from, meat, fish, etc. The staff were very friendly and always eager to help. Wifi connection was a problem in the holtel as you are only limited to lounge/ bar area and for a couple of days, no connection at all.

Room Tip: high floor facing the pool, other side towards the main road, it's very noisy as people leaving...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
8  Thank 786Mike
Reviewed November 17, 2012

My sister and I stayed at Belvedere last two weeks in October. Our room faced main road. Any noise was minimal when balcony doors closed. There was some noise for the nightclub across the road but it was only opened at weekends, so not a big deal. The receptionists were all very helpful and did speak english. As long as you were polite and spoke clearly there was no language barrier that others seem to encounter. The food as most reviewers agree was very good with lots of choice and good quality. A different roast each evening was our highlight. The soups appeared to be home made rather than usual packet offerings, the chcken noodle soup was especially delicious.

The rooms are functional and obviously furnished with easy cleaning in mind with shelfs rather than drawers. Space for moving about was at a premium due to the two double sized beds provided in twin rooms, (great!) however the balcony was large which made up for it, Cleanliness throughout the hotel was first rate, Toiletries were provided and replenished every day. We did feel the quality of the towels was poor, threadbare, hard and grey. It was potluck if you got a newer, softer towel. There was no information about hotel facilties in the room. So if you wanted to know about towel, kettle or iron hire you had to ask at reception (Yes you can hire towels, kettles or iron for a refundable deposit). Asked our rep about this lack of info and she told us that hotel didnt provide in room info as it was usually stolen by clients! We felt the cost of safe hire was excessive.

We were a bit disappointed to find that although you can drink alcohol in copious amounts until at least midnight, you couldnt ask for a hot drink after 11.45pm! We were told that 'no one drinks coffee/tea at night' . We were a bit annoyed that we were told this after waiting in a queue for ten mins whilst 'all inclusive guests' were served their two drinks at a time by one overworked barman, Which brings me to another point, We booked the hotel because it was NOT all inclusive as from experience we have found the level of service is lower, so we were surprised to learn that guests who had booked all inclusive at other hotels had been moved to Belvedere as their prebooked hotel had closed early. So everyone was treated with same disinterest whether you were pay as you go or not. Shame that cos they missed out on tips. We tended to avoid the hotel bar after first couple of days. There didnt seem to be any comfy chairs in the lounge area, all functional tables and chairs, although there were a couple of couches in reception area but it was cold there as door constantly opening and shutting.

I was surprised to read that other guests used the indoor pool at villa romano, as I did think we could but did what I thought was right thing and asked about it and was informed that it was not permitted by the manager (via the receptionist cos we still dont know what manager looked like as he/she always seemed to be having lunch/dinner or on a break). We know in future not to ask pemission. We didnt want to be embarrassed so did not use the indoor pool but it seems that we should have just gone ahead like everyone else.

We also heard the rumours about the mystery illness and know first hand that the rumours WERE coming from a local pub who coincidentally urged people to eat there instead! We also know that whatever the alleged illness there was it was NOT the fault of the hotel. Indeed we witnessed a large incidence of adults and children picking up food from the buffet with their hands and putting it back (after having sampled it) this goes against the most basic rules of food hygiene, we then avoided those partcular dishes (mainly at the salad and desert buffets). It also didnt help to find yourself sitting next to someone who went out of their way to tell you how ill they were, we moved away quickly and avoided that person for rest of stay! Doesnt take Magnum PI to find the culprits for the spread of any infection!

All in all we enjoyed our stay at the Belvedere. It has a great location for beach, local bars and of course Port Aventura, we bought 7 day pass on internet before we came away, great value for money! We visited the park several times and were able to take in nearly every show available. We dont do the big scary rides (just the small scary ones) but tip is to visit the big rides during the week as the weekends are very busy and queues are horrendous. The firework display on Saturday night is worth a visit.

We would happily stay at this hotel again as it is great value for money, clean and friendly.

Special words of praise for Maria? on reception for her patience and helpfulness and for Carlos, the night porter who always had a friendly smile and words of wisdom - he gave us very accurate weather warnings, and always had a funny story to tell us - he was a lovely person,

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
7  Thank Gonefishin55
Reviewed November 16, 2012

Firstly your Satnav won't find it because if it's anything like mine it will try it's best to dump you in the Harbour in a not so nice area of Salou. However this Hotel was recommended to me by a Taxi driver who kindly drew my attention to a no entry sign that I had just passed through! The Belvedere is a very busy Hotel almost exclusively used by Spanish people from the North during the busy Holiday Season and boy was it busyyyy. The staff at the reception were attentive and helpful and the rooms are adequate for the price although I assumed at the time that the best one's were taken by the locals. The view from my room was over the rear of the Hotel overlooking the Swimming Pool which I am afraid left. Lot to be desired and I did not see anybody use it while I was there but as I had no intention of using it myself it wasn't a problem. Having settled in to my room I went down to the Bar area to find that it was BINGO night Spanish style and as my Spanish is at best schoolboy stuff I have no idea what 2 little ducks is in Spanish and when an elderly lady grabbed my arm at the bar and dragged me to a chair at a table with her extended family and thrust a Bingo card in front of me what choice did I have!! Now I have never been to a Bingo night anywhere in the world and have no idea what the idea is. My Spanish knowledge of numbers extends to 10 so I was on a loser from the start so when the elderly lady punched me in the arm and shouted Casa Casa I was gobsmacked until I found that she had been tracking my numbers for me!!!!! These people know how to have a good night and they were unbelievably friendly and welcoming. I left the Belevedere a happier man than when I arrived and headed for the Harbour ;-)

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo