“A nice family holiday”

Ranked #12 of 94 Hotels in Salou
Northampton, United Kingdom
“A nice family holiday”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2012

We enjoyed our trip to salou and hotel was very good and the children entertainment was excellent. Food was good and a variety to choose from, meat, fish, etc. The staff were very friendly and always eager to help. Wifi connection was a problem in the holtel as you are only limited to lounge/ bar area and for a couple of days, no connection at all.

Room Tip: high floor facing the pool, other side towards the main road, it's very noisy as people leaving...
8 Thank 786Mike

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (221)
Fife, Scotland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2012

My sister and I stayed at Belvedere last two weeks in October. Our room faced main road. Any noise was minimal when balcony doors closed. There was some noise for the nightclub across the road but it was only opened at weekends, so not a big deal. The receptionists were all very helpful and did speak english. As long as you were polite and spoke clearly there was no language barrier that others seem to encounter. The food as most reviewers agree was very good with lots of choice and good quality. A different roast each evening was our highlight. The soups appeared to be home made rather than usual packet offerings, the chcken noodle soup was especially delicious.

The rooms are functional and obviously furnished with easy cleaning in mind with shelfs rather than drawers. Space for moving about was at a premium due to the two double sized beds provided in twin rooms, (great!) however the balcony was large which made up for it, Cleanliness throughout the hotel was first rate, Toiletries were provided and replenished every day. We did feel the quality of the towels was poor, threadbare, hard and grey. It was potluck if you got a newer, softer towel. There was no information about hotel facilties in the room. So if you wanted to know about towel, kettle or iron hire you had to ask at reception (Yes you can hire towels, kettles or iron for a refundable deposit). Asked our rep about this lack of info and she told us that hotel didnt provide in room info as it was usually stolen by clients! We felt the cost of safe hire was excessive.

We were a bit disappointed to find that although you can drink alcohol in copious amounts until at least midnight, you couldnt ask for a hot drink after 11.45pm! We were told that 'no one drinks coffee/tea at night' . We were a bit annoyed that we were told this after waiting in a queue for ten mins whilst 'all inclusive guests' were served their two drinks at a time by one overworked barman, Which brings me to another point, We booked the hotel because it was NOT all inclusive as from experience we have found the level of service is lower, so we were surprised to learn that guests who had booked all inclusive at other hotels had been moved to Belvedere as their prebooked hotel had closed early. So everyone was treated with same disinterest whether you were pay as you go or not. Shame that cos they missed out on tips. We tended to avoid the hotel bar after first couple of days. There didnt seem to be any comfy chairs in the lounge area, all functional tables and chairs, although there were a couple of couches in reception area but it was cold there as door constantly opening and shutting.

I was surprised to read that other guests used the indoor pool at villa romano, as I did think we could but did what I thought was right thing and asked about it and was informed that it was not permitted by the manager (via the receptionist cos we still dont know what manager looked like as he/she always seemed to be having lunch/dinner or on a break). We know in future not to ask pemission. We didnt want to be embarrassed so did not use the indoor pool but it seems that we should have just gone ahead like everyone else.

We also heard the rumours about the mystery illness and know first hand that the rumours WERE coming from a local pub who coincidentally urged people to eat there instead! We also know that whatever the alleged illness there was it was NOT the fault of the hotel. Indeed we witnessed a large incidence of adults and children picking up food from the buffet with their hands and putting it back (after having sampled it) this goes against the most basic rules of food hygiene, we then avoided those partcular dishes (mainly at the salad and desert buffets). It also didnt help to find yourself sitting next to someone who went out of their way to tell you how ill they were, we moved away quickly and avoided that person for rest of stay! Doesnt take Magnum PI to find the culprits for the spread of any infection!

All in all we enjoyed our stay at the Belvedere. It has a great location for beach, local bars and of course Port Aventura, we bought 7 day pass on internet before we came away, great value for money! We visited the park several times and were able to take in nearly every show available. We dont do the big scary rides (just the small scary ones) but tip is to visit the big rides during the week as the weekends are very busy and queues are horrendous. The firework display on Saturday night is worth a visit.

We would happily stay at this hotel again as it is great value for money, clean and friendly.

Special words of praise for Maria? on reception for her patience and helpfulness and for Carlos, the night porter who always had a friendly smile and words of wisdom - he gave us very accurate weather warnings, and always had a funny story to tell us - he was a lovely person,

7 Thank Gonefishin55
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2012

Firstly your Satnav won't find it because if it's anything like mine it will try it's best to dump you in the Harbour in a not so nice area of Salou. However this Hotel was recommended to me by a Taxi driver who kindly drew my attention to a no entry sign that I had just passed through! The Belvedere is a very busy Hotel almost exclusively used by Spanish people from the North during the busy Holiday Season and boy was it busyyyy. The staff at the reception were attentive and helpful and the rooms are adequate for the price although I assumed at the time that the best one's were taken by the locals. The view from my room was over the rear of the Hotel overlooking the Swimming Pool which I am afraid left. Lot to be desired and I did not see anybody use it while I was there but as I had no intention of using it myself it wasn't a problem. Having settled in to my room I went down to the Bar area to find that it was BINGO night Spanish style and as my Spanish is at best schoolboy stuff I have no idea what 2 little ducks is in Spanish and when an elderly lady grabbed my arm at the bar and dragged me to a chair at a table with her extended family and thrust a Bingo card in front of me what choice did I have!! Now I have never been to a Bingo night anywhere in the world and have no idea what the idea is. My Spanish knowledge of numbers extends to 10 so I was on a loser from the start so when the elderly lady punched me in the arm and shouted Casa Casa I was gobsmacked until I found that she had been tracking my numbers for me!!!!! These people know how to have a good night and they were unbelievably friendly and welcoming. I left the Belevedere a happier man than when I arrived and headed for the Harbour ;-)

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
12 Thank Supertramp15
Teesside
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2012

When we turned up to check in, we were told that the hotel was due to close (this was start of November 2012). This is despite booking via their O!hotels website and they could have easily e-mailed to tell you. Luckily, their sister hotel was 4 stars and was directly opposite, and we were put up there for the rest of the week.

There was a loud party on the first night and the walls were very thin. I was glad to have taken my earplugs, but despite this was woken up several times. You have to pay 6 euros for car parking in their small basement garage - but no need to do this as the street parking is free and plentiful round the area.

For the price (£25 breakfast and dinner) it was OK - however, their sister hotel, Villa Romana was better.

The best day trip was Monsterat Monastary - a beautiful drive and an amazing place to see.

Room Tip: Ask for one well away from the stairwells!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank myshgsh1
dublin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2012

We went in evening late ,reception very funny no english at all,finally we go in a room but room very tiny one for my family but was ok we change the room next day .Pool area ok,nice for family with kids.Entertaining but we stay 2 weeks and the second week every night was the same show.Food very good ,good service ,friendly staff,so very ok all together

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
7 Thank dublinway
Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2012

Just came back from a lovely half term break at the Belvedere Hotel in Salou.

Overall, it was great value and good food. Thought we (my friend and I) had got a good deal but once we got talking to this man we weren't so sure- he paid £1000 for 2 poolside rooms (for him, his wife and two children), half board catering, flights, car parking, coach transfer and night accommodation at the airport ! We loved the food and thought there was a wide variety, although it wasn't always hot however they did have microwaves to heat your food up, which was handy.

On our third day at the hotel, we were upset to hear a rumour going round about people becoming mysteriously ill on the previous week but after speaking to the helpful rep she passed it off as a malicious rumour made up by a local pub and asked us if we knew who was spreading these rumours. Funnily enough it was the man who had got his holiday for £1000 but we didn't tell her this!!

The rooms were quite basic but were very clean and had a good sized tv, however the only available english channel was BBC news ! We often went downstairs to watch the bigger tv , but it was only showing the sports channel and the low volume proved to be a big problem for my partly deaf friend!! One man tried to help us by turning the volume up but the bar staff quickly turned the volume down again.

The outdoor pool was very cold but we guess that would be expected in late October. We used Hotel Vil-la Romana's indoor pool which was within walking distance of the Belvedere, you did need to buy a swim hat first though and they costed 2 to 3 euros but we managed to get some bright pink ones for 1 euro from a shop in Salou.
We visited Tarragona on the bus, which was fairly cheap- but be sure to go to the kiosk and buy a T10 card because this works out a lot cheaper. We also visited Barcelona which was very nice but be sure to watch out for pickpockets.

We had a great time and would definitely visit again- especially if we could get it as cheap as the man mentioned !

Room Tip: Book a room with a poolside view to get the most sunlight
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
5 Thank Susan W
Ballasalla, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2012

My family and I returned from the Belvedere in Salou on 30th October 2012. The hotel is very good. Everything is spotlessly clean, staff are friendly and helpful and the food is amazing. At breakfast there was ham, cheeses, continental meats, bread, sweet pastries, toast, omelettes and fried eggs cooked to order, sausage, bacon, beans, tomatoes, scrambled eggs, boiled eggs, baskets of fresh fruit, yoghurts, juice and hot drinks. Dinner was fantastic with carvery, pizzas, fish cooked to order, paella, stew, fish in sauce, potatoes, veg, rice, salads, bread, cakes, jelly, fruit, yoghurts and ice cream. My kids tried so many different foods on this holiday including veal and baby octopus. The location is excellent too, just a short walk to Port Aventura and the lovely blue flag beach. The weather was hit and miss, but we really enjoyed this holiday.

12 Thank Feefsie