“Great location for park and beach”
Review of Sol Costa Daurada

Sol Costa Daurada
Ranked #22 of 94 Hotels in Salou
Appleby-in-Westmorland, United Kingdom
“Great location for park and beach”
Reviewed February 9, 2014

We have stopped here for our 2nd time now in May 12. The hotel is in a great location just a few minutes walk into town to the beach and a short walk to the theme park, there is a free bus a few times a day but we were happy to walk. The food is not brilliant but then that could just be our taste, they do have some nice food like pasta and ice cream. The hotel managed to put us in the room we requested which was nice, a few floors above the restaurant with pool view. The Irish pub is great we spent a few nights in here they are very friendly.

Room Tip: best above restaurant as the other building is above the evening entertainment
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank mrsmclean10

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (271)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 1, 2014

I had a family holiday here back in Aug 12. The hotel is in a great location, a 10 minute walk to the theme park or a 10 minute walk to the town of Salou. The hotel is clean & the staff are all very helpful. There is an excellent range of foods each day and plenty of sun beds if you want to stay round the pool all day. There are plenty of day trips/excursions, for instance Barcelona is only about 90 minutes away by coach.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank MeesterBob
Somerset, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 19, 2014

We stayed here for our 5th visit in October 2013. We have to say all the staff were very friendly and courteous and pleased to see you return.

The hotel is clean, tidy and the staff helpful. The location is good, just a short walk into the town or the hotel does run a free bus several times a day. Often it is nice to walk down to town knowing you can catch the bus back!!

The food is good with plenty of choice. The only thing we would say is that on occasions the food could be a little warmer.

We enjoyed the Kingdom of the Pint pub and many thanks to Tony & Sergio who are always smiling and attentive barmen.

We are looking forward to our next visit this year.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Stonehaven-pal
cornwall uk
Reviewed November 11, 2013

Stayed for 3 nights over halloween, hotel was clean and the staff friendly, rooms clean and tidy. bathroom decent size with shower and bath, hairdryer. Maid service every day. Our room overlooked the pool, had sun on the balcony. Food was very good, best choice we have had in any hotel, Plenty of meat, fish,salads, fruit, chef cooking meat and fish. entertainment every night, also a pub style bar, to watch sports etc. Happy hour too. would return to this hotel.
Ten minutes walk to theme park, and same to resort centre. Indoor pool and spa, handy in colder months.

Room Tip: Rooms facing pool get the sun most of the day.
5 Thank mitchcornwall
Brownhills, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 10, 2013

We stayed here in June 2013 for my sons 1st Birthday with our family of 8. Can't really fault the hotel, very clean, friendly staff, good location. Only a 10 minute walk to the beach an restaurants, then another 10 minute walk to the train station for Barcelona etc, and as the train station is directly opposite the main theme park ( port adventura ) definitely ideal place to stay in salou. We had the room on the first floor overlooking the pool, directly opposite the lifts, which was no bother at all. The parents had a room on the 3rd floor which was directly above the lounge/bar which did get a little noisy into the night, so try an steer clear of those rooms if possible if you like an early night or have small children.Only thing that was a little disappointing was the childrens entertainment didn't start till about 9pm and as my children are 3 and 1 they were in bed so didn't get to have a dance with the other children. The food was a little repetitive on the evening but hey isn't that at most hotels, they did have a good variety of foods out and was always quickly replenished before the trays got empty. Overall we had a superb holiday for which none of us was ready to come home... We would definitely stay at this hotel again if visiting salou.

Room Tip: Try and steer clear of the rooms directly above the main lounge/bar as the entertainment does go on...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Carly S
Derbyshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 8, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for a short break at the end of October with my family. I have been here numerous times over the last few years, and it never fails to disappoint.....perhaps because I have realistic expectations of a 4 star hotel in a Spanish tourist resort?!

Hotel:
Is started to get abit dated now and could do with a freshen up, however it is incredibly clean. The location is excellent, far enough out of the centre of Salou to avoid the noise but still just a 10min walk to the beach or Portaventura and supermarkets down the road. I have never experienced anything other than incredibly polite staff who go out of their way to help. A good example? This time whilst away, I got a text telling me of a job vacancy I really needed to apply for however the only way I could hand the app in on time was by printing off the app and handwriting it. Except I had no way of printing it off, so I asked the reception ladies (Belen and the other lady with short blonde hair) who were more than happy to print it off for me, all 30 pages, for free. It didn't print right the first time so they continued trying all with no bother. I am extremely thankful to them! Hardly the rude staff that seem to keep getting mentioned. Again all the dining staff are very friendly, I saw a lot of rude guests around though so perhaps they treat people the way they are treated. The outdoor pool is very cold, it is getting on for winter and the weather averages about 18/20 degrees a day and the sun isn't strong anymore, it would be unrealistic to expect a warm outdoor pool at this time of year! However, move 10 metres inside and you will find a heated indoor pool.......

Rooms:
Again, getting abit dated now but still very clean. Spacious and functional, however small things starting to break, such as the odd light that doesn't work, a small crack in the mirror etc. All very useable and I personally don't spend my time inspecting the room, I'm there to sleep and eat only! No sign of bed bugs, lots of flies around the pool area and beach though.

Food:
Again, no complaints. Basic but more than edible. Lots of choice, especially for those of us from England. Breakfast includes omelettes, eggs, potatoes, bacon, toms, sausages, beans, meats, cheeses, bread, pastries, cereal, fruit. Evening meal lots of meat joints, casseroles, soup, pasta, rice, sauces, potatoes and chips, veg, salads, breads and salads and puddings. Plenty of choice, it's not Michelin star but again, you don't come somewhere like this and expect that.

I'd certainly recommend Portaventura, it is a fab day out and loads for people of all ages. Try and get a bogof promotion if you can, well worth the money then! The hotel provides a free bus service to and from the park and also the beach.

I never have a bad trip when coming here, hence why I keep going back! It is a good hotel to use as a base and is probably more of a 3/3.5 star hotel now it is 10 years old but if you go expecting what you have paid for, you won't be disappointed!

Room Tip: Pool rooms can be noisier in summer until about 11pm.
3 Thank BeakyOve
Oxfordshire
Reviewed November 6, 2013

First impressions were unfortunately quite bad, I'm not a hard person to please at all and I completely understand that people are busy but a smile goes a long way! The women on reception were awful, very hard faced and stuck up if i'm honest. The nights were the worst, I understand people are on holiday having a good time but they literally made our time at this hotel miserable, the hotel would finally quieten down at around 4am, other hotels I have been to would tell people to be quiet after a certain time so the other guests were not disturbed. We actually decided to move out of the hotel for a couple of days so we could get some sleep, we went to camp sanguli, and would highly recommend this over this hotel! The food at night was horrible, definitely catered towards German and Russian. Breakfast was okay actually, that's where the one star came from! The pool was freeeeezing, I was there 10 days and couldn't go in one day, and this is coming from a Brit! Overall, I would strongly recommend you go elsewhere, its quite far away as well! But Salou as a place is lovely, just need to find the right hotel that's not full of loud teenagers! I strongly believe the other reviews are either made up who give it 5 star or are big partiers or not English! So If you're English, you like to have some sleep, be rude to, and actually eat then this is not the place for you! Baring in mind we are only 22 and 5 am is normally a good time to start sleeping for us but this was literally ridiculous!

Room Tip: Don't get one!
2 Thank April115