“Lovely hotel!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #21 of 95 Hotels in Salou
Bebington, United Kingdom
“Lovely hotel!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2013

really enjoyed our stay at the daurada. It wasnt as busy as we expected with it being August, never had any problem getting a sun lounger, although we went as a couple there always seemed to be stuff going on for the kids and even sports and massages for the adults and entertainment throughout the day. Breakfast was included and always lots to choose from. The only thing I'd probably change is if it could have been a little more local to the centre, it was about a 15-20 minute walk to the beach and a little out the way but had a fantactic view of the theme park. Gym wasnt very well equipped but I dont know about you but the last thing I want to do on holiday is go to the gym :) there were two single beds pushed together which was a little bit of a problem as they kept pushing out leaving a gap but overall we hada lovely stay here and staff were very helpful, rooms cleaned daily

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank kelly_chesters

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (266)
Dumfries, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2013

Pleasant hotel and staff friendly, clean rooms, maids come in daily. Food selection alright (usually always something you can find to eat) Pool ok, can get a bit cramped in one side due to all the kids and one side of the pool being too deep for non swimmers (so does not leave you with an awful lot of space, especially when the water polo /water gymnastics etc are on) Repetitive music on through course of the day, so if you want a peaceful time by the pool, forget that! Rooms overlooking the pool/stage area would be the noisiest. We requested a low floor for safety of our son, 7, who is Autistic and we were allocated a room right above the main stage area on the very high 4th floor. Luckily we were able to be moved to a room on 1st floor.(which puzzles me, if we requested this and it was available, why was this NOT allocated in first place??) There is a train track out back but we didn't really feel this detracted from enjoyment of our stay, if anything it was something for our son to watch as they past by. This may have been the reason we were allocated a pool view initially, maybe they thought that we would prefer that!? Irish pub only open on a Saturday and doesn't open until really late, so bit pointless. Entertainment on generally quite late and although we were on holiday, we felt it was too late for our kids. The Sol Hotel's information pack suggests that no food or drinks purchased outside should be consumed, which is really no good for children that have certain dietary requirements or don't like the drinks and or food in the hotel. There was an entertainment team and they all seemed very nice. There is a spa/indoor pool, but cannot comment as we were staying with children so did not use this facility. Children's pool is very small, ok for babies and small tots. We missed our welcome meeting and did not discover that there was a small games room/vending machines that sold snacks/drinks and large bottles of water (1.5ltr for 2 Euro, which is quite expensive, but a small bottle is 1 euro 80 at the bar, so its handy if you happen to run out) There is a popcorn machine also. There is a Spar down the road about 5 mins, so not far to walk, and the centre / main beach front is around another 5 min walk or so. Beach is massive and extremely busy. No good for my son and constantly worried we would lose our children if we took our eyes off them for more than a second. Hotel has a shuttle bus, which runs at certain times to/from the park and the beach. Hotel 10 min walk from Portaventura Theme Park and Caribe Water Park, but I should mention it was very busy during our stay and ques far too big to stand in the scorching heat, so felt the 89 Euro per adult and 71 Euros for a child for the 3 day / 2 park offer was still really a bit of a waste of time. The water park was good and they had an indoor facility, but the ques for the locker inside were ridiculous and there were only 2 or 3 staff members and it takes forever. Lockers are 5 Euro & a 3 Euro refundable deposit (more for a family locker, around 8 Euros & 3 Euro deposit) So, more money. There are hotdog / snack stalls etc, but its a total rip off. Prices are ridiculous 4.50 Euro for a hotdog in a bun!!!! Extortionate. Ice lollies equally expensive (over 2 Euro each) Best to take your own food if you can get it in! Again rules say no food or drink to be brought in!!! Its all money money money as far as I can see. This was our second visit to Salou / Portaventura and some improvements have been made but they need to bring themselves up to date and provide a quicker method of entry as getting in is farsical,massive ques to buy tickets. So make sure you purchase in advance online to get cheaper or purchase at a quiet time. (Not that there is in July / August) So be prepared to que for everything. Life guards in water park could do to spend less time blowing their whistles at folk for stupid stuff and more time taking turns at cleaning the floors of the toilets and sun lounger areas as quite dirty. Warning!!! Spectacles are not allowed in the swimming pools, slides etc (I saw them ask an old lady to take hers off, ridiculous, especially if you need them to see) Was a bit of a wasted journey this time around. Did not get on any of the adult rides. Very disappointed this trip, not sure i'll ever be back.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank twitterus
Leeds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2013

Ideally situated for Port Aventura - this hotel has a courtesy bus but the theme park can be reached on foot in 10 minutes. The train also stops close-by so convenient for trips to Cambrils or further afield Barcelona which takes one and a half hours. The hotel is really geared up for families - LOUD entertainment starting immediately after breakfast, which in my opinion spoils the ambience if you just wish to relax on a sun-lounger and repetitive playing of the same music dawn till dusk! On the plus side, the rooms are quite spacious and like all Sol Hotels, cleaned daily with change of towels and bed linen. Most rooms seem to overlook the pool so obviously whichever room you are in - noise is an issue.

Don't be put off from staying here it is a nice hotel, there is a huge choice of food - not to everyone's taste but we didn't go hungry. Most of the staff are accommodating and friendly and the service was good.

Overall we had a very enjoyable stay and I would recommend this hotel - I would stay here again on a return visit to Salou.

Room Tip: If you are not bothered about a sunny balcony - request a room on the shady side of the building as...
Leeds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2013

I'll start my review with good and add the bad if necessary.

The rooms were exceptionally clean and the maids do their job very well and ensure the rooms were spotless - I stayed here for 7 nights with 5 other family members and the overall stay was pleasant as such, all rooms are well ventilated fitted with air conditioning which comes in handy with the very warm weather, lots of room and very spacious; our room overlooked the pool area (lovely view) although the noise from the 'entertainment' I found very annoying and woke up with a headache once or twice, I know it's a family hotel and the entertainment is merely for the children but I think 10am to around 6pm is a lot to handle and then again from 7.30/8pm - 12am but we usually went out for a stroll so this wasn't any bother.

The pool area is lovely to bathe around and the pool itself was ideal to swim in (very big and at a great temperature) also clean! I seen the staff every morning clearing it out, now the two lifeguards I noticed, one was nice and laid back and for the other was a bit of a so and so! I heard many people not happy with him as no-one was allowed lilo's in the pool a bit far fetched when you see children who wasn't the best swimmers having the time of their lives not bothering anyone to be forced out of the pool with their blow-up rings etc. Also the music that was played around the pool daily was repeated on loop all day, every day (very annoying).

Now, the "FREE" facilities such as the spa and indoor pool wasn't exactly free as you had to pay a fee of 3 euro for a swimming cap to enter.

We stayed half board but I, myself only went for breakfast once - the one time I went down there was many options and the food was very nice, dinner we attended every night and I couldn't fault, again there were many different foods to choose from ensuring you didn't leave hungry! They had a chef who whipped up different dishes per night, which for every time I tried was very nice (can't fault the food).

The location wasn't too bad but wasn't as ideal as I had thought, the beach was a good 30 minute walk and there wasn't many bars around the area unfortunately, a nice walk out but seemed longer getting back especially when you start getting lousy and tired.. there's a train station 10 minutes up the road with Port Aventura opposite if you wanted a day out - the airport also wasn't far (20 minutes max).

I've stayed in a lot of Sol Hotels and they never let down, I would recommend this place if you were travelling to Salou.

Room Tip: From staying in a room overlooking the pool I would probably recommend asking for an outside room/ne...
1 Thank Cara S
Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2013

Sol Costa Daurda is a nice hotel, well located for Port Aventura and centre of Solou. The girls on reception are very helpful and well organised. We went half board, the breakfast was excellent with everything you could wish for but the evening meal was nowhere near as good. We always managed to get something to satisfy us but it could have been so much better. The rooms are kept spotless so a big plus there. If you want peace and quiet get a high room away from the pool, facing the train line or Port Adventura.
The pool area is nice but sun shades can be tough to get if you leave it to late in the morning. There is kiddies play area with a swing and slide but it very basic. It would not take much for the hotel to make this something special but I get the impression that Management run the place on a tight budget.
Overall, we enjoyed our stay, the kids had fun in the pool, the staff are excellent but overall it is not the same standard as a 4* in Ireland.

1 Thank Dragon_LordMTB
Liverpool
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2013

When we booked this hotel (late May2013) the reviews on here where spilt 50/50 ish between positive and negative, as we approached our arrival date, most of the review had changed to negative, I was seriously looking at cancelling our booking and booking else where.
Well all I can say is I’m glad I never, as we thought the hotel was great (we stayed between 10-17.July)
First impression upon arrival, a nice newly built modern hotel with a large modern and pleasant reception/ground floor area, we waited a few minutes to be checked in, we found the reception staff were very pleasant & helpful
The hotel guests appeared to be mainly Russian, Spanish, French & followed by English

Rooms,
first impression, very nice, very impressed with a nice modern & bright looking room (helped by overlooking the pool), the room was equipped with a modern LCD TV (although 1 disappointment was only one English TV channel (BBC world news, south African version) never though I’d miss sky news so much, a fridge (this only worked with the key card in the socket) and complimentary wifi (also available on the ground floor/pool area) the wifi several attempts to get it working, but once this was sorted, it was fine, overall 85% of the time the wifi worked anywhere in the hotel. The room was cleaned every day, with clean towels replaced daily.

Food,
Despite so many negative reviews, we found the food to be very good, the hotel appeared to cater for all the guests (Russian, Spanish, French & English), the restaurant had a large Salad counter, with a large hot foods counter Both counters appeared to cater for everyone, as well as a hot specials counter (this had several choices every meal) we always found plenty to eat and like a few others we have a daughter who is a fully paid up member of the fussy eaters club, she ate very well, with not a word of complaint from her, also we never had any problems with staff or with tables etc (unlike other reviews) 1 small gripe a few of the staff appeared to struggle with English in the restaurant

Hotel,
We found the hotel to be a fairly recently modern built building (such a pleasant surprise) the outside pool area was large & spacious, with plenty of sun bed’s (always available anytime of the day) 2 large pools (1 adult, 1 shallow) with a small separate paddling pool, The hotel (along with the rooms) was spotlessly clean, Entertainment was held nightly on the terrace, with an English themed pub open until 1.00pm, also the hotel had 2 forms of wifi, 1 on the ground floor/terrace area, the other in the room, after a few hiccups getting this to work, for the rest of the week, it worked for the majority of the day

Entertainment,
Having stayed at several SOL melia hotels, I have to say the entertainment here was the worst we have ever seen, to be fair, suppose it was hard to get people involved with various nationalities staying in the hotel, some of the evening entertainment acts where awful (acrobats) I have never seen an act make so many mistakes. One of the entertainment team appeared to be hopelessly out of sync with the other members of the team when performing dance routines.

Overall we where very impressed with the hotel, and glad we never cancelled our reservation.

1 Thank bigscouse
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2013

This was my 3rd trip to Salou and I wasn't too happy about going to a different hotel (stick with what you know etc) but due to the costs we changed to this hotel.

After reading some reviews about noise and food I was a bit dubious but I have to say I have no reason to have been.

The food was excellent, best I've had on a half-board hotel with the buffet style. Lots of variations, the breakfast was excellent also.

The room itself was quite small but the bed was comfy and it was clean, what more do you need? The tv was dated but only BBC and CNN were English speaking anyway so it didn't really make much difference how modern it was.

Use the bus to the theme parks, you'll do enough walking there and can be done with giving your feet a break. A taxi back is about 10 euros and it was well spent !! Also go to the parks at about 4pm, its MUCH quieter and the queues are about 10-20 minutes as opposed to 1 hour 30.

Wi-fi works off and on, this was a bonus, I didnt expect wi-fi at all.

The pool is quiet which was ideal. Kids entertainment was good with a disco each night apart from Friday (I think).

Couldn't recommend this any more !

Room Tip: Rooms facing away from the pool are quieter although you can watch the entertainment from your balco...