“Lovely holiday”

MedPlaya Piramide Salou
Ranked #32 of 93 Hotels in Salou
Reviewed November 29, 2012

Stayed here for a week in August, booked up a month before we were due to go and the hotel was great. Clean, tidy, good food, friendly staff, bar a few! Great location, good rep. Cant complain about anything really.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank KH2691

Reviewed October 25, 2012

We stayed for one week at the end of September and were a bit worried after reading some of the reviews.

From the minute we arrived it made me wonder why there were any bad reviews written. We had booked all inclusive. The receptionist was very polite and friendly, she explained everything to us and gave us our keycard and information about the hotel. It was great having a free safe and also a fridge with complimentary drinks inside.

Our room was spacious and so was the bathroom. We had clean towels everyday and our room was kept nice and clean. The restaurant was good, there was also a balcony where you could sit outside which we did on quite a few days and nights. The chairs in the restaurant were the most comfortable chairs I have ever sat on. The food was varied and there was a chef cooking usually three types of food including meats and fish. The sweets were nice and you could help yourself to icecream in freezer. There was a bar for drinks. The staff in the restaurant also did a good job and worked so hard to keep the tables clean and ready for us.

The entertainment was good in the day and most nights. The Michael Jackson night was great and the hotel entertainers were backing dancers and singers they were absolutely terrific and it was a great evening. Veronica and Nereida were great and very friendly and asked us to join in with the games which we enjoyed and had a lot of laughs. The entertainment team really did do well, they were very professional and thank you all for making our holiday so enjoyable.

The bar staff in the evening and by the pool were excellent. The tried to keep queues down and you did not have to wait too long. They were all polite and ready with a smile.

The hotel is situated in a nice area and just a short walk away you are in the shopping area. We found Salou a lovely clean place and would not hesitate to go back to again.

We would like to thank the hotel staff for making our holiday so enjoyable and would not hesitate to book again with your hotel.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
13  Thank sunnylincoln
Reviewed October 24, 2012

Booked this hotel for the week beginning 16th - 23rd. Being 17 (18 during the holiday) and my first holiday without my family I was obviously a bit nervous and to make it worse, we turned up at 1 in the morning after our late flight to see the lights off and the gates shut!! the hotel was closed and we were not informed AT ALL, neither was our travel agent. Luckily the Calypso hotel was nearby so we stayed there for the rest of our holiday. My advice would be to definitely not go to Salou in October time, or at least not to this hotel as it caused a lot of stress and upset.

7  Thank Mia C
Reviewed October 21, 2012

I travelled with my family in September. Altogether there were 13 of us (9 children and 4 adults).
The food was nice and the mornings the freshly cooked pancakes and omelettes were fabulous.
We found the staff to be friendly and extremely helpful, didn't even bat an eyelid when one of the children in our group lost a keycard and another managed to lock the safe.... staff sorted both issues without turning a hair. Dining area staff were lovely and made sure we were okay for drinks as soon as we were seated. We were especially impressed with how staff behaved toward our son who has mild autism and doesn't like strangers. They even managed to get a "hi" from him which is definitely testament to their approachability.
We found the entertainment to be enough to keep our children happy (and have been regularly treated to renditions of "veo veo" since returning home). There was plenty to keep the adults in our party amused too with couples challenge and the world games along with karaoke, the entertainment staff were fantastic and very patient with children.
There was a delay for our check in, but this is the same wherever we have been... if you arrive before check in time then you will obviously have to wait ;) however we were given a time and a wristband and were allowed to put our cases in a room at reception before setting off to wander around Salou. We arrived back and found our rooms were ready.
The rooms were clean and spacious - enough for 2 adults and 2 children in one room and 3 teenage girls in others. Towels were changed every day and bedding was changed as needed (not daily but I don't change mine daily at home either?).
All in all a great holiday, only been home 3 weeks and we're already planning to go back!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank Patsy C
Reviewed October 14, 2012

We stayed at this hotel in October 2012. The room was a good size and looked clean and cared for. We were out a lot so didnt eat all our meals in hotel but when we did there was a great selection. I would have liked a bit more regional food rather than potato smileys and baked beans but the breakfast Omelettes from the Chef were brilliant. The location of the hotel was excellent and I liked that the pool was big enough to swim lengths in. I did think about asking to move rooms the first night as our room overlooked the bar and it was quite noisy but it was a lot better the second night and until now I'd forgotten about it. I think the ad when we booked said it had english TV but I could only find one news channel although this didn't really bother me. The TV in our room did have a USB plug and play thing though so you could always take a flash drive to watch movies if you wanted to.
The transfers were well organised and it took about 20 minutes or so to get to the hotel and back. Although, now we're a bit more knowledgeable about the area we wouldnt bother with the official transfers as there are local buses fairly regularly. We did a couple of days in Barcelona and the reception staff were really helpful with traintimes etc and how to get to the station. The staff were all polite and friendly on approach.

This isn't Claridges or whatever the Spanish equivalent is, but it's a great base to explore the local area if you can get over not eating haute cuisine everynight and not having control of the aircon. I havent been on a package holiday for years and I thought that this was a great hotel for the money with great facilities. The bar nearest the pool wasn't open as I guess it was late in the season and I would have preferred if the entertainment areas was in the room by the pool so people could use the pub style bar for quiet drinks with a bit of music on in the evening.

I didnt use the gym or the spa so I cant comment, so Ive marked them as average.

Thanks to the team at Med Playa for a lovely holiday

Reviewed October 12, 2012

Despite the holiday season winding down (it was October after all!) my partner and i had a brilliant holiday in Salou!
Our room at the Sol Piramide far exceded our expectations. We had a fridge containing complimentory drinks on our arrival, a huge balcony and our room was cleaned, new bed linen towels etc every day!
We ve been to the resort before so we know our way around, we had a day in Portaventura which was fantastic, we also had a day in Tarragona and an evening in the beautiful port of Cambrils just up the coast, the weather was beautiful for our entire stay aswell which helps of course.
Another plus point for us was our Thomson rep at the hotel, Jodie, a very sweet girl who was also very informative and helpful and someone whom Thomson would do very well to keep hold of!
All in all a superb holiday, and one i d be happy to recommend to anyone! :-)

2  Thank Justin C
CustomerServiceMgr, Guest Relations Manager at MedPlaya Piramide Salou, responded to this reviewResponded October 19, 2012

Thank you for your review of your recent stay at the Med Playa Hotel Piramide in Salou.
We are pleased to hear that you had an enjoyable stay with us, and hope that we can look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel on future occasions.

Reviewed October 12, 2012

Please I urge people not to book this hotel, it is nowhere near a 3 star hotel never mind a 4 star.

Me and my wife stayed for one week in late August, we booked through jet2 holidays (I have waited 5 weeks for a reply to my complaint, a disgusting way to treat a customer with valid complaints!)
The holiday started badly, we booked because of a nice 15 minute transfer which was more like 1 hour, we had a good check in and on inspection the room was ok too, we turned the air condtioning on and went out for the evening, when we returned the room was no cooler, the air con didn't work properly and we had no way of controlling it, the room also had a mini fridge that also didn't work, we reported this, we were told the air con was set at the same level throughout the hotel and the fridges were all the same. These things may sound minor but if you've spent hours online making sure your hotel you booked had air con, fridge and minimal transfer time you can imagine the disappointment, and to those who say you shouldn't complain I think they need to ask themselves that if the next time they make a big purchase what would they do of they bought a tv that was 3d ready hd ready and it turned out to be black and white with a coat hanger for an aerial, I'm sure they would want a refund!!

Now let's start on the food, in edible and truly disgusting, breakfast was awful, dripping fat bacon, uncooked sausage, scrambled eggs which were mush, never any orange left, horrible breads, cereal that had been out for days, dinner was even worse, overcooked meat served by a chef who had no clue how to cook, lots of cross contamination,undercooked pizza which was raw, my 9 year old can cook pizza, we went all inclusive and only did 2 days in the restaurant, after being ill we decided to eat out and not risk our health anymore, I can't emphasise enough how bad the food was!

The entertainment was awful but we expected that, sadly it runs from9pm to 11pm and there is no escape if you just want to relax and enjoy a drink you are struggling

In fairness the room was clean and the bar staff friendly, sadly our holiday was ruined by facilities that are clearly advertised but just didnt work or in the foods case was just not to an acceptable standard, I urge jet2 to drop this hotel from their roster or at least downgrade it, it isn't fair on people spending hard earned money on such a shabby place.

I hope I get some feedback soon from jet2 and the hotel, keep you posted!

• Stayed: August 2012