“fantastic value for money”
Review of Blaumar Hotel

Blaumar Hotel
Ranked #24 of 93 Hotels in Salou
GreenLeadersBronze level
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“fantastic value for money”
Reviewed October 23, 2011

Recently returned from a five day stay at the Blaumar hotel. After reading some reviews about the hotel staff being unhelpful/rude, I was quite apprehensive about our stay. However, many staff in the hotel spoke English, we were greeted with a friendly welcome from a receptionist by the name of Monica who spoke excellent English and continued to be friendly and extremely helpful throughout our stay. Not booking a package holiday, we relied on the plana bus to get us back and forth the airport, however the staff of the bus spoke very little english. Monica took our flight details and ensured that a reservation was made for us to travel back to Reus airport. She made our stay so easy and advised us how to get around, trips to go on and places to go.She also pointed out that the spa facilites were free of charge, which we obviously took advantage of.
As for the hotel food, it was extremely repetitive and unless you like fish/seafood you will find it hard to please your appetite. Even on the salad bar, everything had been mixed with fish - ie, potato salad has tuna in, mixed leaf salad had prawns in ... and being a non-fish lover, i found my plate to consist of chips and a bread roll. However, on the plus side, the deserts are REALLY good, with a really wide variety for different taste buds.
The general location of the hotel is fab, situated a couple of metres from the beach and alongside the strip of bars, restaurants and shops.
Lastly the pool area was was extremely nice- looked very luxurious and the entertainment in the night is fantastic! Overall, a very pleasant stay for our money.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank holidayb186460

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Iasi
Reviewed October 12, 2011

We've spent a whole week in Salou, staying at Blaumar Hotel - halfboard, double superior room.

First of all, the hotel is not suited for English speaking tourists. We had a hard time interacting with staff members. Had we been Russians, we wouldn't have had any problem.

Our double superior room was disappointing. It had poor TV reception and no card access. The door lock was so massive, that we had to slam the door everytime to shut it... But the major dissapointment was the room safe - not included in the room rate (5 EUR/day).

Otherwise, nice pool, great location (just across the street from the beach and very close to all the action in Salou) and good food - very monotonous breakfasts (same foor for 7 straight days) but extremely rich dinners.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Andy C
derry
Reviewed October 2, 2011

Just returned from a fortnights holiday at Blaumar Hotel at the end of September on half board, very clean hotel, stayed in superiour room with pool view, block two, second floor, room nine, 2209 which was large in size with a cooker and fridge which was working, room cleaned and towels changed every day by very pleasant staff. Reception staff very friendly and helpful, can speak different languages including english, I had a problem with the patio door not locking in my room and it was fixed within a hour of my arrival. Hired a safe for two weeks which cost eighty euros, a bit expensive but I got ten euros back when I handed in the key. Hotel was very close to the beach which was just across the road. I found the bar staff at the pool very friendly and helpful, had no bother getting sunbeds at this time of year as the pool area was nearly always empty as the guests who were mainly Russian, German and Spanish were always away on tours, pool itself was always kept clean and tidy and any dangerous carrying on in the pool was always stopped by the lifeguard, you can hire towels for the pool for ten euro which you get back when you finish your holiday, and it costs one euro if you want to change the towel during your stay.The one thing I have to complain about this hotel and other people have mentioned it is the restauraunt and food, the restaurant is like a cattle market at times,people having to queue for breakfast and dinner, people having their plates lifted before they have time to finish their dinner, everything is a rush and the noise is unbearable at times when the waitresses are clearing away dirty dishes or setting new dishes for guests,make sure someone stays at the table and let your partner get their food first because if the table is left empty everything will be removed and the table will be set for new guests. The food itself is not for British guests unless you like seafood and seafood based salads for dinner every night, some nights you might get a piece of pork or steak from the show cooking grill,all I could seen was chips with everything, no potatoes, the only good meal that i got all my time there was roast chicken on Thursday nights. breakfast was not to bad, scrambled, fried, or boiled egg, and bacon which was floating in oil. Overall the food is not for the British pallete. The entertainment during the day was very good with Cristian and the girls keeping everyone entertained with water polo, dancing and rifle shooting and archery, the night entertainment was very good with dancing and acrobatic acts. Overall a very clean hotel with pleasant staff, but if you like talking to some english speaking guests this is not the hotel for you. I enjoyed my stay at the Blaumar Hotel and would go back to this hotel if they catered more for english speaking guests.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank salouDerry
nvarela, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Blaumar Hotel, responded to this review, October 14, 2011
Dear client, thank you very much for your nice comments about our hotel. Also, we appreciate your evaluation about the restaurant , as it is our wish to excel in every aspect of our operation, so we have taken note of your constructive comments.
Best regards
Reviewed August 30, 2011

Food poor and outside pool bar a joke. Having spent 3000 euro on half board when I ordered a seafood paella and was presented with a dish of tasteless rice with hardly any fish I spoke to the waiter who served it who was rude from the start and turned aggresive. I paid for my one beer and gave him three euro for food and went up to hotel reception to complain about the food and his attitude.
. The waitee upon seeing me complaining charged up to reception shouting but to my disamay the next day I was ordered to pay the outstanding 8 euro the next day by the hotel food manager whilst eating with my son. And upon walking into the hotel bar the same waiter mouthed off abuse towards me. I had enjoyed my previous stays but won't be back. Noel sainsbury room 1608

• Stayed August 2011
3 Thank brooking10
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed July 29, 2011

We stayed for 2 nights in July. We were very disappointed by many things, including the service, cleanliness, and food.

When we arrived, the staff could not be bothered to explain any of the facilities or services. For example, we had booked a half-board package, so we'd get breakfast plus lunch or dinner. I had read about the possibility of having lunch by the pool. When I asked, I was told that the only option was to eat in the "restaurant". It was only later that I learned we could have our lunch poolside.

No one explained that we could access wifi for free in the lobby. No one explained that there was parking across the street, but that we needed a key to access the lot. No one offered to assist us with our bags.

When we got to our room, the smell of cigarette smoke was overwhelming. So we had to go back downstairs to reception, only to be told, bluntly, that they would not give us another room. They had a staff member come to our room, and she took about 10 seconds to spray the room with some cleaning chemicals. This did not help much, so I had to go back to reception yet again. By now we had wasted about an hour checking in. Fortunately, the staff were in a better mood at this point, and they agreed to give us a different room. The view was not as nice, but at least it didn't smell like a dirty ashtray.

The food served was mediocre at best. And the noise in the restaurant was often unbearably loud.

On the positive side, the location is good and the beach is very nice. However, there are many nicer places to stay on the beach in Spain. This was not worth the money.

5 Thank El_Guapo11
Cumbria, England
Reviewed July 12, 2011

This was a nice hotel and i would probibly go back, BUT it's classed as a 4* and having stayed in lots of 4* hotels the Blaumar hotel is definately not one of them. Luckily our room was nice with lovely sea view,the location was spot on. Had a small cooking area but no kettle, so if you like a morning coffee to wake you up as i do you'll have to boil your water up in a pan! Lovely big shower but be warned ours did run very hot at times, i wouldn't want to put a child in. The tv only had two english channels, BBC world news and Sky news, so slightly dissapointing that a 4* hotel hadn't managed to cater to it's English clients slightly better. (The same old recycled sky news gets a bit wearing after a while)!. Now onto the restaurant, and this i feel really challenges the supposed 4* rating. Not a lot of choice for the English pallete. The first evening meal was a fish themed night, brilliant if you like fish, which luckily i do, but if you didn't like fish your snookerd!! The second night was "loosley" themed (i think) on Italian, some pizzas but all in all a poor show for italy, even lasagne would have been appreciated. I'm assuming the next night was American as they served up beefburgers/ sausages in buns!!! Not 4 star food really. I really struggled some evenings to find something to have as a meal, yes i picked up salads etc but generally ended up with a mish mash of food on my plate. Breakfasts were a similar dilema, felt it was catered for the spanish/french/German guests. I'm sad that this sounds like a right moan, i often read the reviews and think some people moan about the silliest things, BUT the restaraunt was an issue so feel it needs addressing. The pool was fine, the staff were great, very helpful, room cleaner was very pleasant. Hotel situated in a nice place. would i stay there again? Quite likely, and maybe that's the real point of a review. Just dont expect a four star hotel if you stay there!!

Room Tip: Request sea / pool view.
3 Thank KaneyCumbria_England
Kendal, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 12, 2011

We stayed at this hotel as a result of the reviews we had read, especially the restaurant. The room we had was a suite,with a sea view. No complaints about that. The staff were very good , helpful in everyway. The location of the hotel is excellent. The problem with the hotel is the restaurant, I am convinced the majority of reviews are from people on B and B. The evening meals and the whole experience of dining at night left at lot to be desired. The continuous noise made by the staff clearing the plates and cutelry is unbelievable. It is like a cattle marke at times, and set out like a cafe. The food on our first night was very good, fish, which included prawns, salmon and the usual extras. The following three nights were unbelievably bad, one night was an american night, burgers and sausage, chips,etc. Another night was Mexican, which I really cant describe. Another night was Italian , with Pizza. There was also Pork which looked like jelly. On the final night there was beef, which was ok. As you enter the restaurant the first two tables with salad and cold meat remained the same for the full five days, as they did at breakfast. You have one table where the chef cooks the special. And a another table where the chips or potatoes are. This remains the same. No vegatables. I have stopped in many hotels and always go for 4 star, this hotel is without doubt a good hotel, but is definately let down by the restaurant experience, and should really be a 3 star as you will see. This is not a hotel for couples wanting a quiet few days away. The breakfast appears to be a free for all, where you have to q for coffee at the machines sometimes ten deep.! I think we were the only English couple in the hotel, which was not a problem, but they obviously cater for the European visitors.

Room Tip: We had a front sea view room, and requested a high floor which we got (6th floor). Could not fault i...
5 Thank graham553