“A Lovely Little Hidden Gem”
Review of Villamagda - CLOSED

Villamagda
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Bromborough, United Kingdom
“A Lovely Little Hidden Gem”
Reviewed July 16, 2012

Me and my boyfriend went to Salou back in September and found this place after googling good local restaurants and we loved it, so when we came back to Salou this July we just had to go back there.

It is run by a Spanish family who make great Spanish (and other Mediterranean, more noticeably Italian) food. Each time we have been they have brought out a free Entrée of either some lovely fresh ham or hand made crisps. The food itself is not aimed at tourists but instead great local food; each time we have been there has only been a few other full tables, but the tables were all locals and there was a lovely atmosphere, where the staff are friendly and make you feel welcome.

They have a menu of the day which offers a starter, main and dessert for €19.70 which I would defiantly recommend as a lot of the mains will cost you this anyway.

When we went last September, we ordered the Garlic Monkfish and were so impressed that we ordered it again in July and although the side had changed slightly, it was still just as delicious.

I would also recommend the Cuttlefish With Noodles as a starter (this does require a minimum of 2 people to order it) as the menu description doesn't do it justice - it is full of different fish and every time we have ordered it, it has had a mixture of different fish - I'm guessing they use whatever fish the chef has to hand (which by the way all comes from Cambrils - the little port just up the road from Salou).

For dessert the Crème Catalan is really nice and and although it sounds boring, the Vanilla Ice Cream With Rum Flavoured Hot Chocolate was a lovely surprise - it wasn't sickly so even though I was well and truly stuffed after my starter and main, I didn't feel that sickly feeling you get when you've eaten too much; it really finished off the meal.

I would highly recommend this restaurant if you are looking to get away from all those touristy places that Salou is filled with and enjoy the taste of great local food. Most of the food is seafood, and they really do specialise in this, but they do offer meat dishes as well. It is well worth a visit

• Visited July 2012