“Not the Holiday I was hoping for but we had a good time.”
Review of Holiday Village

Holiday Village
Ranked #19 of 45 Hotels in Benalmadena
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Not the Holiday I was hoping for but we had a good time.”
Reviewed October 6, 2010

Having booked to stay at the Holiday Village for 2 weeks at the end of September 2010 (self catering) with my young family I made the fatal mistake of reading trip advisor in the days leading up to our holiday and the tangible excitement of our first holiday abroad as a family of 4 turned to dread after reading moan after moan. Thankfully our worst fears were not realised and I can honestly say we had a genuinely good holiday. After a smooth taxi transfer from Malaga Airport we were checked in and our 2 kids were in bed sleeping within an hour of landing. The 1 bedroom apartment on the 5th floor was lovely and spacious - yes some the furniture is probably nearing the end of it's life but I wasn't buying it!! The balcony was huge and had fantastice sea views, although I would urge the hotel to reconsider the use of plants that smell like stale urine for decoration. With 2 kids under 4 dettol is a permanent fixture in our kitchen at home and if I'm being honest my wife and I were probably not totally happy with the cleanliness of the kitchen and fridge untilwe had given it a clean ourselves but 15 minutes of elbow grease took care of that. I have no idea what the other posts on this site are on about with regard to paying for beach towels and remote controls. Yes you have to either leave your credit card details or a cash deposit for these items but this is returned on their safe return at check-out. There was a charge of 2.5 euros per day for the safe but this was clearly explained in the information sent to us by First Choice and is pretty standard for most of these types of Hotels. The "Village Shop" is a total rip off and if you're going self catering with young kids I would strongy recommend you take some home comforts with you (as we did) for the kids to eat for the first couple of days until you can get to one of the big Spanish supermarkets. We hired a car through carhire 3000 for £180 for 10 days and so didn't pay through the nose for trips to Gibtaltar and the Crocodile Park in nearby Torremelinos - which our kids loved. With the car we then had the added advantage of having the freedom to go to the local (15 minute drive) Carrefor (Tescos!!) for groceries when ever it suited us - I think we spent a total of around 300 euros on food and alcohol from the supermarket. The hotel itself is very nice and the local Spanish staff work very hard keeping the place clean and tidy which believe me is no mean feat when you see how some of the guests treat the place. I did think it was a bit odd when they moved the evening entertainment to an inside venue half way through our holiday when the weather was perfectly nice outside and so we ended up at the piano bar instead which was a shame. The pools are excellent and no matter what time of day we turned up the surrounding area was always clean and tidy and although the hotel was busy there were plenty of sunbeds to choose from. Make no mistake about it this is an all inclusive resort and if you dare to go self catering, like us, First Choice do try and remind you every day you have made a mistake by charging you small fortunes for things like mini-golf which are available to all inclusive guests at no extra cost but I did not think the price difference represented value for money and I'm glad we paid what we did. We paid £1300 for 2 weeks and was quoted £3000 for the equivalent all inclusive package and I to would probably would be extremely unhappy and moaning on this sit had I paid that sort of money. Is it the best hotel I've ever stayed in? No it's not. Will I be going bck next year? No I won't. Would I recommend it to friends an family? No I won't. Did we have a good holiday? yes we did.

1 Thank WillA52

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (668)
  • Polish first
sunderland
Reviewed October 4, 2010

stayed at this hotel all inclusive for a week 26th sept to 3rd .check in was smooth we were on the 3rd floor we had loads of ants on the balcony and i mean loads.The all inclusive is not good.The glasses are filthy please look for yourself if you ve already booked and stick to plastic cups.the plates are dirty aswell.The family on the next table found a maggot in there food the manager brought them a bottle of champagne( whats that al about congratulation you ve found a maggot heres your prize)and i do so hope they also write a review.I had cherries with my ice cream my kids told me to go and have a look in the bowl,they were covered in flies.too late i d eaten mine.yuk.food was plenty of choice but lets face it would you want to eat it after all this.I am certainly not a moany person i write many reviews on here as we travel a lot but this is by far the worst hotel ive stayed at.On looking at the hotel the facillities are good .this is in noway a 4 star maybe at 2 or pushing it a 3 star.we really enjoyed gibraltar book early though.wouldnt bother with crocodile park,golden mile(marbella)waste of money saw no one famous just over priced shops and it was totally boring.the zoo was worth the money.any more questions please ask if you ve booked already please if your not happy when you get there complain.the hotel needs a complete overhaul and a good clean.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank deb40Sunderland
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 3, 2010

Been two years in a row and the hotel does need a bit of tlc for next year, furnishings now lookng a little worn. Breakfast great, evening meal a little repetative. First Choice pricing a rip off. Booked early to get best deal according to their constant emails from late December 2009, Only to find when paying balance it was cheaper to book again and lose the deposit with lots of rooms still available! First Choice's response prices can go up and down and at least you've got the holiday you want. Yes I have but I could have paid £300 less and not paid a £260 deposit in February! Advice don't go with First Choice unless they offer some price promise for 2011.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Wirral, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 3, 2010

We arrived late (12.30am) and checked in quickly. We were tired so went to our room and straight to sleep. Pull out bed was tatty and unsuitable for sleeping on so our daughter ended up in bed with us.
In the morning our daughter pointed out a blood stain on the sheet, and further investigation revealed bugs crawling in the bed. When killed these bugs released blood onto the sheets. We felt dirty and wanted to shower but no hot water!! I went to reception to complain. They seemed suprised and offered to send up housekeeping.
On my return to the room my wife was distraught as she had found 13 bugs. I went back down to see reception. At this time the housekeeping manager came to the room and my wife showed her theblood and as she moved the sheets found a further bug crawling. The manager apologised and left.
We decided that we needed to leave we had no comfort in the cleanliness of the hotel and my wife could not even consider another room. The reception staff refused to provide written proof that we were checking out due to the infestation and the housekeeping manager suddenly denied having seen a live bug. I took the key back and went to the room to take photos.
Whilst discussing with the reception a First choice rep was reporting others with rashes yet the hotel said they had never had a problem with bugs. We spoke to him to tell him about our bugs and also took his colleague to the room to witness them - she later tried to get us to return the statement she had written as she would get in trouble!!!!
By this time we had found over 19, and it is uncommon to see them like this so imagine how many there were.
Whilst seeking out alternative accommodation we chatted with another couple desperately seeking flights home early due to the poor conditions - food and hygeine in particular. They had both suffered food poisoning and been served raw chicken, as well as seeing cutlery moved from dirty tables to clean ones!!!
The pools look amazing but this hotel is dirty and considering it has only been open 6 years is very shabby. It needs to be shut down and fumigated.

STAY AWAY FOR YOUR OWN SAKE

8 Thank moog11
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed October 1, 2010

Holiday Village is in the middle of nowhere so had to travel most evenings on bus as no taxi to take a family of 5. Hotel supermarket is overpriced and not stocked up very well. Beware of Wave Pool, It is very dangerous, 17 year old good swimmer on inflatable ring had to be pulled out by 4 lifeguards as waves were so choopy they overturned his ring and he kept getting banged up against pritate ship, Very Scary. Loads of other people being saved also so be very careful. Inside of hotel very dark and dreary but bars are nice.
Enjoyable holiday but would try somewhere else next year.

Oxford
Reviewed October 1, 2010

I stayed here for 2 weeks with my husband and my two boys, when we first arrived the first choice reps were useless they just drop you off at the hotel the reception gives you your bands ( as we stayed all inclusive) and then you are left to find your own way around. The room was nice and clean and a good size. Didn't know where we could get food from or the timings so once again you had to find this out by asking other holiday makers.
You have to pay for lots of extras like a tv remote which makes me laugh whats the point of having a tv in your room without a remote, you have to pay for pool towels and they are really strict on the timings that you can take the towels back and get clean ones, the safe key you have to pay for which everywhere else ive been having a safe in your room is the norm without paying for it.
Half way through the holiday things started shutting down there all the entertainment all moved inside and there was no aircon and it was boilinggggggggggg. So we decided to go and sit outside the piano bar with no entertainment. All the trampolines had been taken down and the go carts and all the other things they had for the kids outside.
The food was ok plenty of choice but everything was just luke warm.
And the service you get at the bars made me laugh they were so rude.
I found the reps who done the entertainment throughout the day and the evening were rude the only decent one there was a lady called tash and she was the manager.
The kids clubs are good for little ones but not for my boys age, the kids clubs are free most of the time but once again there are certain ones you have to pay for like the vip party and the chocolate party which you have to pay 4 euros each child.
The worst thing of all out there is they have a stomach bug out there we caught it twice sickness and diarrhea it was a nightmare there were people being poorly everywhere,
my whole family had it.
If you go out there take plenty of imodium you will need it. I was glad to get back after 2 weeks of it.
Will not go back to the holiday village in costa del sol even if someone paid me.

England
Reviewed September 27, 2010

After a quick transfer from Malaga arrival at the hotel was by warm and genuinely friendly first choice staff. With a quick and efficient check in we were in our room within 20 minutes of arriving at the hotel. Room was well equipped, clean and comfortable. The view from the balcony was stunning.

There is a huge choice of food available at breakfast, lunch and dinner all buffet. With drinks available from either the poolside bar, snack bar or piano bar. The Italian restaurant on site is fabulous with waiter service. The waiting and bar staff where also great! You certainly wont want for anything!

The pool was lovely and clean, although some irresponsible parent allowed their child to go in the pool without a swim nappy. This resulted in the prompt closure of the pool and disinfection by the pool staff. Luckily the Beach Club pool was available.

There was a lot of entertainment for the children in the early evening and the family show by the first choice entertainment team was great which took place on the fabulous outside stage. We also managed to see the fab Joe Pasquale.

Late every evening the Irish Bar was open for a night cap and had a great atmosphere!

The hotel staff were helpful and the First Choice staff always seemed to be about to answer any odd questions.

With a beach 5 mins walk and a wide selection of trips available, even one to North Africa, if you do have the desire to venture out of the holiday village there are lots of things to do.

This is a great relaxing destination for family's and has something for everyone, we are booking fro next year and will take more of the family!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple