“The Davies Review”

Ranked #19 of 45 Hotels in Benalmadena
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“The Davies Review”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Our first experience of a Holiday Village, First Choice agents recommended this hotel couldn't speak more highly of it. Unfortunately we went for one week, after being there for three days two of my children aged 8 and 3 (who did not take part in kids clubs) had gastroenteritis and did not eat for 3 days they were so ill. We had spoke to other guests at the hotel and they had said that a lot of children and adults had been ill the week before we got there so I was disappointed with the hotel not stating something on reception or even the reps saying something at the arrival meeting!! I noticed there was sick outside the lift on the 3rd floor on the Tuesday and it was still there when we left on the Sunday evening 7.50. There was hand gel on the entrance to the restaurant but unfortunately i did not see many people using it, or the staff asking you to use it. My older children aged 16 and 14 did not have anything to do at all, the hotel is a bit out of the way and is not within easy access to the beach. This may be a one off for this hotel but it was an awful experience for us, on the whole dont think we will go here again and would not recommend it. SORRY!!!

4 Thank Nicola D

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (661)
  • Polish first
scotland
Reviewed November 3, 2012

After reading all the reviews I was a bit concerned. This hotel was recommended by Thomson staff. As we drove up to the hotel it looked impressive, apart from the rain! Anyway we got checked in, slightly slow but ok. We got a room on the 4th floor, so up we went. On entering the room it was at back of hotel and it was dark and smelt fusty. It was also dusty and the bathroom had a smell, damp. It is also not for 5 people, 3 at most or 2 adults and 2 kids no more. We asked at reception if we could move or upgrade. The only room available was on 1st floor, side of pool view. We went and had a look, straight away it was brighter and smelt better, however the toilet had rust at bottom, mould round shower, cracks in tiles but we decided it was better than the last and all they had, so we made the most of it. The fold up bed had to go in the kitchen! The sofa beds were worn and tattie, however the reception lady assured me they were clean! I have to say the staff were helpful.
Next problem food! plenty of it but quality poor. After eating chicken curry one of my six year olds was sick, then my other six year old got sick before the first six year old was sick again! My husband, my 15 year old and myself all had diarreah and sick feeling. We spent the last three days in our room eating tins of heinz soup, bean and toast and cheese and crackers, from the shop in hotel as we could not go to the restaurant. I don;t know if the problem is too many kids handling food or what the issue is but there is a serious problem here. My family were all very particular about hygeine and choice of food - but it made no difference. My husband saw three kids throwing up at the kids disco and I meet and spoke to at least 5 others who had sick kids and adults. Beware. The kids club is something we don't use but my daughter got bored and we put here in for 1 session it was well organised and she had fun.
On the way back to the airport we overheard people on the bus saying they had been to other holiday villages and they were saying this place was worse and they couldn't wait to get home!
Drink is local drink, plenty but you get sick of the sweetness of it all.

Nearest town by taxi is 11 euros, Benalmedena.

It is a real shame because this place looks good and has real potential, if they fix all these issues.

The place needs upgraded food and rooms.

Room Tip: pool view if any - low floor
4 Thank vixenScotland
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 1, 2012

cant fault this hotel our overall experiance was fantastic food excellent always found something to enjoy room spotless bedding and towels spotless too, flights were on time paid 40 euros for a late checkout as our transfer time was 7.50pm we found the staff friendly and the reps were great spot on with information. looking forward to returning asap have recomended this hotel to friends only downside for us was we found the area where the hotel is a little isolated with no shops or restaurants or nightlife nearby, no biggy really as the bus stop is only a minute away 1.45 into benalmadena 20euro back in taxi but really no need to leave hotel in the evening as there is entertainment and of course if u are AI why spend your money going out. wouldnt reccomend anyone to self cater here as i have stated there are no shops or bars nearby hotel shop is expensive and not very well stocked so bear that in mind. you will pleasently suprised at the surroundings ie pool areas and beach club because they are excellent .also the rooms are quite big beds were comfortable.

Room Tip: we had room 552 giving a view of the sea, room suited us fine as we liked the quietness would ask fo...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sue p
Reviewed November 1, 2012

We stayed for one week and it does not cater for kids over 9 yrs old. We had two 12 years old. The weather was poor the beach club is not as advertised. The italian restaurant was the best meal all week. My niece contracted gastroenteritis and was hospitalised. There is a large outbreak at the hotel but we was not advised of this. The cleanliness of the bathrooms is poor

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank Kerryt1234
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 30, 2012

After reading some of the reviews on here,I was a little apprehensive about how the holiday would be,some stated they were very ill with the food and oaths stated not clean etc.
Well I had no reason to be worried at all!
This hotel is very large,clean,nice inside.our room(2 adults an a 5 year old) was fairly spacious,with a huge bathroom and small kitchen.the room also boasted a huge balcony with nice mountain views.
The buffet resturant was spotless with a good and varied selection for everyone.staff are constantly checking food and cleanliness of the food areas.
The pools are huge and were clean,inc the areas around the pools and kids play area.they are not heated though,so be warned!! The beach club is accessed at back of hotel via a bridge and was a very pleasant place to spend an afternoon or two and you don't have to buy a ring to enjoy the 3 other pools.beach club is free too.
The hotel is a little isolated,you have to travel 15 mins on regular bus service either direction to nearest towns for shops,marinas,etc you can also pay about 8 euro for a cab.there is access to the beach but it is. Steep walk across a road and down track and wasn't a "proper beach" but again you can access a proper beach within 10 mins walk either way.there is crazy golf which I free and an indoor pool which is available for adults and kids from 10-2pm,then adults only.it has 2 jacuzzis and is very clean.
There is a very good kids club and footie academy(my son did not want to attend either,but the kids partaking were loving it) there's. small arcade type room and billards room.
Wi fi is only available by paying 8 euro for the week,for one device.
I recommend a 1st floor room,we stayed in 002 and although has a train track in distance the trains do not run often in middle of night and are on an electric track so barely audible.they certainly did not wake you. If you have young kids 1st floor rooms would be better.
On arrival you have to leave a card details in case they need to take a €100 room deposit in case of damages.you also will need to purchase a safe which was €17.85 for the week.
Evening entertainment was brilliant for kids,the i5live kids entertainers were brilliant(all from uk) and Russell the brussell aka Kenny was hysterical.theres bingo at 9.15pm and then a show every evening.thre is an Italian and Mexican resturant on site which you have to book in for,but we kept missing the booking in reception in morning so I cannot say what these are like although we didn't miss a resturant as buffet had such a good selection.
There is a shop on site ,more a mini supermarket,probably costing 50 cents-€1.00 extra on items.

The staff are very friendly,we had a problem with our safe and was fixed in first half hour.

Negatives; there were none!!!!

My only observation is that I think this hotel would be extremely busy in uk school holiday times as it seemed popular even out of half term.

Room Tip: 1st floor rooms,low numbered.
Preston, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 30, 2012

was quite disapointed with this holiday, no real access to the beach you had to cross over a bridge and walk down a busy road to get to it, you could only use waterpark slides, mon, wed saturday other wise they were closed. also the bungee jump was closed and the hamster balls in the water wasnt on as advertised in the brochure and my daughter was very disapointed with this........ just glad that there was kids clud otherwise my daughter would of been bored, the entertainment team were very good at night and worked very hard, my 7 year old daughter loved i5live and russell the brussel!!!! we as a family preferred being out of the hotel complex and going into to benalmadena town during day and being on the beach as there was really nothing to do on the hotel complex as half of the hotel complex had shut due to being the last weeks of october which first choice had not told us. was not happy at all over the cleanliness of the hotel and are hotel room, the bathroom was not very clean and had to go to reception a few time as the maids had only left one bath towel between the three of us. food at the main restaurant had excellant choice but the food at the snack bar was very bland, would not go to this hotel again : (

1 Thank Louise T
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 30, 2012

My friend & I (2 girls in early forties) stayed here for one week commencing 12th October....well I wasn't expecting much as we only booked 6 days before...paying 361.00 AI...everything was so perfect from the flight to the time we went home:

Food: could not fault it - something for everyone - my friend is a vegetarian and was chuffed with the choice... the deserts - lovely - choc fountains, pancakes, crepes, white choc fountain, cheese & biscuits....

Room...Perfect - cleaned daily - spotless - english channels!!! seaview (room 424), big in size - slept so well - beds comfy.

Staff: so nice - could not do enough - our tv didnt work one eve and it was fixed within minutes...

Pools - go over to beach club where it is more quiet and pools are superb...will easily find a quiet spot.

Overall: cannot wait to go back - def a 5 star and loved loved loved it! do not take any notice of the bad reviews - you cannot fault the place.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends