“Gorgeous Hotel at the Marina”

Hotel Mac Puerto Marina Benalmadena
Ranked #7 of 45 Hotels in Benalmadena
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Gorgeous Hotel at the Marina”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2013 via mobile

I loved this hotel...... Complimentary cava on check in was a lovely touch, as was the complimentary mini bar in the room fridge. Hotel was spotless and the wifi worked all the time ( just as well ) !! Rooms were fine, plenty of space, nice balcony overlooking the pool and the outdoor restaurant eating area. We had breakfast every morning in the hotel, which was fine , and dinner in the restaurant a few nights , which was lovely. Great choice, fish, roasts, pasta dishes, everything you could think off, not to mention desserts and cheeseboard !! Gorgeous ! The pool area was huge and it was very very quiet, no children at all, which suited me. You could order snacks and drinks at the pool bar. The hotel overlooked the marina and was right on the beach. Spent a lot of time at the bars in the marina, so really good location.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank Julie C
MacHotels, Manager at Hotel Mac Puerto Marina Benalmadena, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
We really appreciate your fantastic review of our hotel and are absolutely delighted that you have had such a good stay with us. Thank you for all the positive comments who remind us at all time that our business is to give the guests the best posible service .

We are looking forward to your next visit.

Hotel manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (470)
  • Finnish first
Perth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2013

This was superb holiday the hotel was first class, the choice of food was excellent and I would certainly recommend choosing this hotel. We were looked after by very friendly staff, especially the Reception staff they were very informative eager to assist.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
On behalf of the staff and myself we would like to thank you very much for your nice review. We are happy that you have enjoyed your holiday at Mac Puerto Marina and will pass on your compliments to the reception area.

We hope we can greet you again at our hotel next year.

Kind regards,

Derbyshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights as a lone traveller. I had read reviews and chose it for it's location and the recommendations. I e-mailed the hotel ahead of my arrival and requested an upper floor room with a pool view and the hotel advised there would be an extra cost of 10 euros per night for the pool view room, as I was only there 3 nights I accepted the charge. I arrived at around 12.30 pm adn was able to book in straight away - always a bonus when you have been up since 4 am. I was give a key and reception directed me to my room. The lobby is nice and spacious and the staff on reception were helpful. My room although somewhat dated was clean and spacious and from my balcony I had a great seaview and view of the pool area. I stayed half board and you dine at either 6.30 or 8.15 - I dined at 6.30; I felt the table I was given for dinner made me a little obtrusive - but that said the staff in the restaurant were excellent. The food was good quality and there was plenty of choice. I felt the wine selection offered excellent value for money and was good quality too. Breakfast was in the same dining room but you could choose where you sat - a much better option. Again there was always plenty of choice for breakfast and the food good. The hotel is a stones throw from the beach and a myriad of bars and restaurants. It is also close to the marina. The pool area is clean and probably the quietest I have ever visited in my life, which I thought was really quite strange. The majority of the other guests were more mature couples which probably explains the lack of noise around the pool. In truth I am not sure this hotel was truly a 4 star; the service and the staff I could not fault they were excellent; the cleanliness - again excellent; but the room I stayed in definitely required updating, both furniture and soft furnishings. I have to admit I wasn't really struck with the area either - alot of places closed down and for sale - rather sad really. I probably would not go back here because of the location rather than the hotel.This was good for a 3 night stay and good for a solo traveller.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank BertieDerbyshire
Thank you very much for taking the time to write this review. I am sorry to hear that you were not impressed with the surrounding areas but we appreciate the positive comments on our services.
We have taken note of your impressions regarding the room furniture, which I am sure is a very helpful feedback for future refurbishments.

We hope we can welcome you again at our hotel in the future.

Hallin, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2013

Stayed a week and enjoyed every minute. Was great to relax in clean, safe surroundings with good service provided by the nice staff. Travelling as a single mum with my son it was reassuring to be in a proper well do to hotel where everybody treated you with respect and there was a good feeling and the staff were definitely there to help in any way they could. Our room was lovely and bigger than I´d expected and loved the fridge with drinks! Swimming pool was nice and the kids pool ideal. Enjoyed long walks along the seafront in the evening when it cooled down a bit and the whole area around the hotel is really nice. The food was exceptional too. Think I put on a few pounds! Great holiday.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Kevin B
MacHotels, Manager at Hotel Mac Puerto Marina Benalmadena, responded to this review, October 4, 2013
We really appreciate your wonderful review and are delighted that you have spent a nice holiday with your son at our hotel. Thank you for all the positive comments, they help us staying motivated at all time to give our guests the best posible service.

We are looking forward to your next visit.

orpington kent
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2013

Really enjoyed our stay.

Hotel is located next to the Marina and alongside a long beach stretching in to Torremolinos , with a lovely beachside promenade. Turn right out of the hotel and you have a different Bay to stroll around with more beach side bars and eateries.

Good points-

Hotel was efficiently run
4 Star rating met but not 4 Star plus
Excellent value for money
Wonderful Location
Very good Service at Reception, Restaurant and from Room Cleaners
Plenty of Sunbeds
Nice temperature pool, which was not large but quite big enough
Nice breakfast terrace
Nice balcony overlooking pool (Room 339)

Minus Points-

Poolside Bar Service was slow
Nowhere greatly appealing to sit inside the hotel for a drink or read. The Downstairs Bar needs modernising.
Dinner was excellent value under HB option but became boring and lacked variety
2 more English television Channels at least please.

We had a lovely stay and were very pleasantly surprised by the resort. The Hotel is excellent value and cuts its cloth to achieve this. We would recommend the Hotel and would return.

Thank you to the Management of MAC Benalmadena for a very enjoyable 9 night stay. We could have enjoyed staying on for a few more days at the end of our holiday.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank winterwillie
MacHotels, Manager at Hotel Mac Puerto Marina Benalmadena, responded to this review, October 2, 2013
Thank you very much for your kind review, we are happy that you have enjoyed your stay in Mac Puerto Marina and that you would consider coming back. We have taken note of your detailed comments, which will help us for sure to continue improving our services towards the guests.

We are looking forward to seeing you again next year.

Saltburn-by-the-Sea, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2013

Myself along with my wife have stayed at this hotel on six occasions over the last few years and have been very happy.Since Mac Hotels took it over last Easter things have got better ie.WI-FI in every room but they now have upgraded some rooms which when you are willing to pay for they will not guarantee you can have so why would you pay a higher rate.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank John H
Thank you very much for your comments, we are sorry to hear that you are dissapointed with our booking policy. It is true that we have upgraded the rooms with lateral seaview and pool view. In exchange for a daily supplement the booking of these particular rooms is guaranteed except for the 4th floor rooms, who will always remain on request since we only have nine units of them.

Once again we apologize for the inconveinences caused and hope that despite this minor incidence we can welcome you again in the future.

glasgow
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2013

Just back from this hotel after 9 nights and travelled as a party of 3.
Middle Aged couple with an elderly dad.
I would class the hotel as a pretty good all rounder and ideal for people in our age group but not as a family hotel as there is no provision for children and no hen/stag parties or drunks.
The particular strength of this hotel is the staff and their attitude(Friendly + helpful).
I will provide info on various aspects of the hotel as I found them.

Reception
Clean and pleasant surroundings without anything outstanding.
Checking in very easy and quick process when we booked in although to be fair there were only 2/3 families booking in at that time.
We had to wait half an hour on one of the rooms(strange as was 3PM)but we enjoyed a drink and got luggage to other room so only a minor blip.
The glass of complimentary champagne/bucks fizz a nice touch.

Rooms
Typical hotel room and spacious/comfortable enough with a decent sized balcony and bathroom.
You have to clamber over the bath to get to the shower which would be a problem for disabled/elderly.
TV had access to Sky News and a ITV station.
The only negative was that we had pre-booked rooms from the hotel direct with a Sea View at 10 Euros per night per room payable on arrival but were aware it was a side sea view.
However,the room we got a key for(372)had an almost non existent sea view.
Put it this way you had to sit in a corner and vaguely view the side sea view which was better standing admittedly.
I really didn't classify this as a sea view and certainly not paying extra for the privilege.
The 2nd room(376 nearer the sea) was a little better but only borderline worth paying for.
I did complain to reception and eventually they agreed for us to have the rooms on a non paying basis.
The fact that when we checked out they tried to charge 10 Euros per day for at least a sea view on 1 of the rooms was disappointing and they wanted us to return later that day to resolve.
As I was waiting on my coach transfer this was not possible and I stuck to my guns and after reception made phone calls did not have to pay.
In summary if sea views are integral to enjoyment of your holiday it definitely would not be my choice of hotel even if you pay extra.
Maybe one of the people who obtained the private roof rooms which were certainly completely private with own beds/brolly on balcony(nude bathing if you were inclined)could indicate if they had a sea view but I doubt the privacy and sea view would be complementary.

Lifts.
The only reason I mention this is because they are so good.
You never had to wait more than a minute even at peak times for a lift with the only drawback some of the lifts do not access the dining room/bar area but only go to reception level.
Disabled would have to go to other lift to go down to dining room.

Bar Area/Dining Room
The bar area looked very comfortably but never saw anybody in it as the weather was so good.
There was a courtyard where everyone sat and the entertainment was also held there.
The courtyard was a lovely area and used for Al Fresco Dining and breakfasting.

Food.
On the first day of your stay you are allocated a dining time either 6.30pm or 8.15pm.
When you visit the dining room for the first time you are asked your preferred dining time for the rest of your holiday and whether you want to dine Al Fresco or inside the dining room.
This applies to evening meal time only and breakfast is sit where you want and the time you want.
A waiter will come and take your drinks order for the evening meal but both meals are buffet style.
I found the hotel food to be pretty varied and piping hot which is to my liking but not found in many hotels.
This because the food containers are very small for a hotel but very quickly replenished.
It is not quite restaurant class(well not a good restaurant anyway)but typically prepared for the UK and Continental client.
Maybe OK restaurant class.
At breakfast you wont find a decent sausage, but Spanish Bacon was fine and fried eggs,omelette or scrambled eggs fine.
Loads of cereal,fruit,breads and the slow toasters.
Coffee was really strong but they also had instant coffee and,teabags.
Dinner time the chef had a roast of some description which was generally the best quality meat or fish on offer,various vegetables and desserts.

Entertainment.
Particularly disappointing but at least something on every night.
The singers who were on 7 nights out of 9 must have purchased the same song book from the 50s,60 and 70s with the same taped music .
An 80s number would have been modern music.
There is only so much volari,rose garden, Etc a human can take.
There was 1 decent act a tribute to Motown and it was like there was a transformation in the atmosphere.
People up dancing,clapping the entertainers, and even the bar must have experienced an increase in sales.
Amazing the difference this made and if the hotel is saving on entertainment costs then this showed the futility of that policy.

Pool Area.
Excellent for sun beds and could get one at any time although some people mainly Brits insisted on going down to the pool while it was dark and bumping into sun beds to get their must have position beds.
Each pair of sun beds had its own brolly and small plastic table to keep your book on.
There was also a supply of sun lounger cushions which made using loungers as comfortable as possible.
There was a pool bar which was not terribly expensive for drinks and snacks.

Two pools ,a baby pool and not that big larger pool but never seemed that busy.
An area used by a masseur with table(about 40 euros a hour but half hour options)and another area faced onto the beach with quite a few sun beds up a few roped off winding steps which was cooler than the pool area as closer to the sea.
Overall very nice.

Locality.
The hotel was very close to the Marina which was vibrant at night time.
A variety of cafes,restaurants pubs and a supermarket close by.
The Spanish café right across the road from the hotel in a middle island between the hotel and Marina we found good for snacks/drinks.
A tip to access the Marina is go through the café,cross the road and there are a number of access points to the Marina which will save a walk and climbing of steps to restaurants.

Don't miss Toro restaurant(tasting menu)in the Marina.
Go through side of Dec`s pub and it is 3 doors up on the right.

Rafael on beach just past burger king good for tapas.

We had a great holiday and hope you do too and the hotel was a major part of our enjoyment.

Room Tip: Be very careful choosing a room and avoid lots of grounds flat rooms some of which must be completel...