“Week in the Sun, May/June 13”

Hotel Mac Puerto Marina Benalmadena
Ranked #7 of 45 Hotels in Benalmadena
Reviewed June 11, 2013

Had a really enjoyable stay here, we were greeted with a glass of champagne while we checked in. We were put on the groung floor which was a bit of a dissapointement as we were hoping for a nice view over looking the pool, room 191, however the standard of the room was excellent and very clean and spacious, more than enough wardrobe a draw space for us and we dont travel light !. Breakfast was self service buffet style and a very wide range of food on offer.Location of this hotel was brilliant for us , only two minutes from the beach and the marina......The marina was nice with plenty bars and restaurants to choose from, the atmosphere was enjoyable as the resort was starting to get busy for the season. There is a Irish bar across the road from the hotel which is excellent for a couple of drinks and stays open until 2.30 am........Overall we would have no problem staying here again.........p.s. the weather was very hot, it was still 33 deg at 6.30pm one evening !!!!!!

Room Tip: Avoid ground floor as the view from balcony was poor , ask for a pool view.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank wey_aye_man59
MacHotels, Gerente at Hotel Mac Puerto Marina Benalmadena, responded to this reviewResponded June 11, 2013

Thank you for your review. We are glad you enjoyed you stay. We look forward to receiving you soon again at our hotel.

Reviewed June 10, 2013

we had a couple of nights here in mid May and had a great time. brilliant room, very spacious and light with large balcony - we liked it so much we stayed an extra night!
all the staff were friendly and helpful.
we only had breakfast included in our deal but would recommend this and huge variety.
pool area was good, but we didn't sit round it as not too good weather..!
we would definitely return
thanks

2  Thank lisa b

Thank you for your review. We are glad you enjoyed your stay at our hotel and look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed June 6, 2013

Together with my wife I spent 2 nights in Puerto Marina end of may.
+ Location is excellent, next to loads of leisure activities (Bars/Restaurants and beach within walking distance)
+ Private parking is offered @ reasonable prices with easy access to the hotel (although no elevator available which brings you up to the room)
+/- Pool is rather small but with nice views.
+/- rooms are big and there is a balcony
- TV equipment is completely out of date
- Wifi was unavailable in our room (too far away from the lobby area)

2  Thank Miguel957
MacHotels, Gerente at Hotel Mac Puerto Marina Benalmadena, responded to this reviewResponded June 7, 2013

Thank you for the review. We are glad your enjoyed your stay and appreciate your comments in order to improve.

Reviewed June 5, 2013

We (my husband and I ) booked this hotel on a bit of a whim just a couple of weeks before travelling and didn´t have time to think about it too much or read many reviews and so on. We were just looking forward to a nice break away from the cold and I´m happy to say when we arrived at the hotel we were instantly impressed with it. Greeted by a nice lady who gave us a fresh juice to refresh oursleves while she did the check in process. All the hotel info was explained to us and off we went to our room. Nicely done in what I call classic 4 star style. Lots of space, good beds, generous balcony, very nice bathroom and fridge with welcome drinks. We hoped dinner was going to match up to it all and it did! Excellent displays of different types of food for all tastes. I personally liked that you could dress up a bit for dinner if you wanted and it felt like we were going out for a proper meal every night to a restaurant rather than just popping down to the hotel buffet. Hope you know what I mean! The location is very good as well. If you enjoy walking you should love it as the sea front stretches for miles and is very accessible and literally steps away. There is also a small marina area which is quaint and has it´s own feel to it. I liked the Neptune statue. There is also a decent supermarket within 2 minutes walk from the hotel for any snacks or toiletries you might need. We had an unexpectedly good holiday here and haven´t stopped talking about it to friends since we got back. I can only say that you should try it for yourselves! thanks.

5  Thank Jennifer H
MacHotels, Gerente at Hotel Mac Puerto Marina Benalmadena, responded to this reviewResponded June 6, 2013

Many thanks for your review. We are pleased to find out you enjoyed your stay and look forward to receiving you soon again at our hotel.

Reviewed June 4, 2013

I spent 6 days at the Puerto Marina and my overall experience of it is favourable and despite the title I don't have any major grumbles. When I arrived I was very early and at least 4 hours before the hotels booking in time of 2pm. The reception staff were great and I only had to wait about ten minutes before being given a room key on the 3rd floor. When I entered the room I was disappointed as my view was of a residential street despite me booking a room with a view. I did book with booking.com. I went back to reception and told them that the room is not what I booked. I explained that I booked a room with a view and was told by the receptionist that the hotel was under new management and that many of the booking agents hadn't updated their sites with the differing room prices. I considered that the problem should rest between the hotel and the booking agents and not the customer. I showed her my booking form which clearly stated 'ROOM WITH VIEW' but it didn't matter and I had to pay an additional 10 euros per night for a room with a view of the pool !!
The room was fine. It was roomy enough for the two of us and there was plenty of cupboards, drawers and hanging space. The bathroom was standard and there was a steady supply of hot water. No enforced cold showers. To tell the truth the hotel is exactly as depicted on the photos displayed on their site. My only real grumble is the beds. We didn't get a decent nights sleep on any of the five nights I spent there. The twin beds were springy and uncomfortable. Perhaps I'm too used to my memory foam mattress at home.
I only booked in for bed and breakfast so I can't comment on the other meals but I can say that breakfast was plentiful. Only one complaint though the sausages are below par. Apart from that it was an impressive spread and I would think it difficult to find any major grumbles.
The hotel seemed to cater mainly for guests who were of pensionable age and therefore it is a bit quiet. The pool is cold and was hardly used but a bonus is that we didn't ever struggle to find a sunbed despite those inconsiderate people who still think it's ok to place towels on sun loungers at dawn and then go out for the rest of the day !!!!

Room Tip: Any room overlooking the pool that is not on the ground floor.
3  Thank Dannybhoy61

Dear guests, thank you for the review. We are glad you enjoyed your stay. We truly appreciate your comment regarding your arrival and have looked into this issue. There are in deed two room types at our hotel which are distinguished by the views. One is the pool view and the other the standard view. We are aware of the confusion this may have caused and have amended this specification to avoid any further misunderstandings. Please receive our apologies for the inconvenience this confusion may have caused. We look forward to your next visit.
Kindest regards

Reviewed June 1, 2013

Our first visit to the hotel and was not disapointed in any way. Clean room, good food and friendly staff.can endorse a previous review the TV was old and had limited English speaking channels.

My only negative comment would be that the evening stroll around the shops and restuarants etc was spoilt by the constant request from traders, to eat or drink at their establishment. The resort was still in early season and many of the restuarants where struggling for clients.

A great hotel and resort already loking forward to returning.

Room Tip: Try and reserve a room facing the pool.
1  Thank 192gary

Many thanks for your review.

Reviewed May 31, 2013

Returned 26 may after a weeks stay.Reception area is not very cosy.A little bland and old-fashioned.Not a place one could spend some time in.Receptionists very friendly but there was something I could not understand and that was having booked with Hotel Booking.com and having given my visa details I was asked to pay for the whole stay directly.They did not even ask if i wanted to pay by credit card.I wanted to pay cash and having only pounds was told to go across the road to a bureau de change!!.I felt a little irritable at this having left home at 4 in the morning and on top of that a 2 hour flight delay.Had they asked for my visa as a guarantee I could have paid cash that evening or on checking out for that matter.I felt I could not be trusted.

Anyway the rest of the stay was fine.Breakfast and dinner was very good.Had room 405 on the Sunny side which was good.Dining room staff were efficient and very friendly.

Swimming pool area was ok but nothing special.Swimming pool very cold and hardly used.I felt sorry for the life guard who had to spend the whole day there.It surprises me that in this day and age and high technology that hotels in spain and indeed all over europe have not come up with a device that can heat up an outdoor pool! A heated pool for in the winter months can be an incredible asset when it comes to receiving reservations.As a former travel agent and rep I know what I am talking about.
Otherwise a good hotel and recommendable.

2  Thank stephen w
MacHotels, Gerente at Hotel Mac Puerto Marina Benalmadena, responded to this reviewResponded June 4, 2013

Many thanks for your review. We appreciate your comments and have looked into the issues you mention. In deed it is correct that if the chosen way of payment is cash instead of credit card, this will be required upon arrival. We apologize if this may have caused confusion or any kind of inconvenience. Also the possibility of offering change to guests who would like to pay in their currency has now been instated correctly.
However we are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and would be pleased to receive you soon again at our hotel.
Many thanks and kind regards
Hotel Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Benalmadena
Sunset Beach Club
Hotel & Spa Benalmadena Palace
Hotel Best Siroco
Hotel Best Siroco
#8 of 45 in Benalmadena

Been to Hotel Mac Puerto Marina Benalmadena? Share your experiences!