“Fantastic hol”

TUI Sensimar Riviera by MedPlaya
Ranked #5 of 45 Hotels in Benalmadena
Reviewed September 15, 2012

We have just got back from our hol second time around. We went last year so my husband and I thought it good to go again. We were not disapointed at all, the staff much the same as last year and nothing is too much trouble to them. I am disabled and need a fridge for my medication if I had to make one critism it would be lack of fridges. Also the gate downstairs closes at ten so you really couldn't go very far with fear of the gate closing, so for next year could you please look at the possibility of the gate staying open at least till twelve. We love all the staff and nearly all remembered us we are in our early fifties and we made some lovely friends whether they were younger or older and we also met friends we made last year. Thank you Riviera for another fantastic holiday.

Room Tip: We phoned the hotel a couple of days prior asking for a room number which they did for us.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Anthony S

Reviewed September 14, 2012

just got back from this hotel ideal location for exploring , great food , very clean, benalmadena is very hilly if you decide to explore the town itself but lovely walks along the beachfront down to the marina , back gate to hotel closes at 10pm that one caught me out ended up climbing steps next to hotel my legs where aching for 2 days! chesters bar (turn left out of hotel down hill) is very friendly with a good quiz night on sun/tues/thursday the entertainment in the hotel is very poor i am in my 50's and found the quality and variation was boring a good game of bingo some nights or a quiz would of been nice . we also found a shopping outlet centre at plaza mayor , you can get there by catching the train for a few euros and if you dont fancy walking up to the station we caught the tourist train from the marina to trivoli for 4 euros and walked downhill to the station you can also take this option if you want to go on the cable car which was fantastic with views all the way along the coast . this hotel will be closed from november for refurbishment lets hope they hire a entertainments manager to increase the footfall at night . we booked our sight seeing tours from a little tour shop further along from chesters bar if you booked 2 you got 5% off got to gibraltar for only 14 euros on the express bus and had a great day out in grenada , for those of you who smoke please be aware that there is no smoking area inside malaga airport and the fags are more expensive that local shops

Room Tip: if you like afternoon sun then the rooms at the back are better our room number was 822 top floor wi...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 14, 2012

just had 2 weeks holiday at this hotel,wonderful. room very good we were on the west side[708] and we got the late afternoon sun when we came back. everything was ok. the stafff are magnificent. the food very good lots of choice and changed daily.I was told the hotel is closing for refurbishment and will re-open in may, if so then it really will be great. the carpet and tv do need replacing,otherwise all ok. definitely will return.

Room Tip: high seems ok
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 13, 2012

I have wanted to stay here for a while, mainly because of the great location and its adult only. I knew that the bedrooms were very basic when I booked as I had seen the pictures but it was a good size room with new matress on the bed. The main down side was that there was no mini bar or fridge so we had to hire one. The food was of a very high standard and lots of variety for everyone, the dining room was very serene and tranquil not like the usual undignified scramble you have in most hotels. The staff were very friendly apart from a gentleman serving in the bar that resembled Bernard Manning! he was a little intimidating.
Watch up around the pool though as some of the guests get very protective about their umbrellas and there was an incident where a lady had taken one that was not being used and the guest returned only to snatch it back!! I will return once the refurbishment has been done as it is the only thing that makes it a 3 star at present.

Room Tip: Get a high floor near the back as road is quite busy.
Reviewed September 12, 2012

The Hotel was classed in the brouchure as 4*, but this really would be a 3* at best, not because it was unclean or anyting like that, but it was tired and a little shabby in need of an update. I was there in June 2012 and the Hotel had planned for October 2012 an overall and updating and once this has been done, I would happy to revisit again.

The Hotel was Adults only and one thing to say if you are group of younger folk, whilst I was staying there it did have quite a few retired folks - now I am 52 and it didn't bother me but for a young couple in their twenties it might. But the good side, no young ones jumping in and out the pool yelling etc (My son is an adult now so I try to avoid the young ones where possible).

The food was better than average in the restaurant - offering buffet service for breakfast and dinner and also had a part where the Chef cooked certain specialities, very good. The small outdoor restuarant was snacky things, burgers salads, toasties etc and of course served drinks too, prices reasonable I would say.

I am a solo traveller and found the Hotel ideal location and was on the promenade and could be accessed by a locked gate at the edge of grounds, turn right to Fuengirola and left to Marina/Torrimolenous so ideal place. One thing to note, there are lots of looky looky men outside with genuine chanel handbags, and prada sunglasses - most folks know they are fakes and happy to buy - but just an observation.

I was in a single room, and my advice if a single traveller they put you in the front or rear, if you can opt for the rear, as the front is by a busy road and can be a but noisy - I did asked to be moved but the Hotel was full and not possible, I just kept the balcony windows shut all the time to mask the noise. - but it didn't spoil my visit.

Room Tip: At the promenade side would be better to avoid the traffic noise.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
Medplaya, Guest Relations at TUI Sensimar Riviera by MedPlaya, responded to this reviewResponded September 13, 2012

Dear Amysterymember,

Firstly, thank you for choosing Medplaya Hotel Riviera for your holiday and for your comment about the hotel. We are sorry to know that some aspects of your holiday were not up to your expectation. We pay attention to customer suggestions and requests and we make our best to fulfill their expectations. As you might already know, the hotel will be closed for the refurbishment from 1st of November 2012 to 30th of April 2013.

Thanks again for your feedback which will enable us to serve you better when you decide to come back to our hotel.
We do look forward to seeing you again soon with a revamped hotel atmosphere.

Kind regards,

Vanda Lehnerova
Guest Relations Costa del Sol
Medplaya.com

Reviewed September 10, 2012

The hotel is well located very close to the seafront with a direct access gate open up to 10pm, it is a shortish stroll along the promenade to the Marina. It is a pleasant stroll at all times of day, the beach busy by day, and markets, and street vendors by evening, generally not that pushy.

The room [ pool side] had lovely views over Benalmedena Marina.
The food both breakfast and evening meal had a excellent range, definitely tailored to British tastes, and even was OK for me and I am a fussy eater, the restaurant room was spacious and had very good views over the Marina. Staff were friendly and courteous throughout the hotel, and generally very helpful. The pool was clean with a lifeguard for much of the day, there were plentiful sun loungers around the pool and other areas.

Entertainment is provided each night, very much tailored to the older clientèle. Children are not allowed, and generally the hotel is not geared up for teenagers, younger couples, However very much suited to older couples, and concentrating on this group servers the hotel well.

It can get noisy by night though with a dual carriageway at the front of hotel and late night bars on the other side of the road, so would definitely advise being close to the sea. However being close to the road, bus stops to neighbouring resorts are very close.

Room Tip: Either Superior Room or High Room on Marina side close as possible to beach.
2  Thank JackOne26
Reviewed September 10, 2012

Just got back from a week at this hotel. A mix of good and bad

Deffo no way this hotel can be classed as a 4 star, its a 3 at the very best. Small things like having to hire fridges, safes and pool towels all should be standard in a 4 star hotel.

The sun bed mattresses are a disgrace and I feel itchy just thinking about them - yuck

The food is OK and the choice was fine however concidering the resturant is supposed to be open until 9.30 in the evening, breakfast tables were being laid from 8pm and the food was not at its best and most night not even hot if you arrived after 8pm

The best thing about this hotel is the staff, without a doubt a credit to MedPlaya and I hope they retain there positions after the much needed refurb

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Medplaya, Guest Relations at TUI Sensimar Riviera by MedPlaya, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2012

Dear gailbrown100,

Thank you for your recent stay and for your valuable comment about your stay at the Medplaya Hotel Riviera in Benalmádena Costa. We are sorry to hear that the hotel did not meet your expectations. Our staff strives to offer the best service at all times.
Regarding the refurbishment, the hotel is closing in November 2012 and will undergo extensive renovation. Our refurbished accommodation will significantly enhance the experience for our valued guests while maintaining the same outstanding customer service and individual attention that visitors have come to expect when walking through our doors.

Thanks again for your feedback and we hope to have the pleasure to welcome you back.

Best regards,

Vanda Lehnerova
Guest Relations Costa del Sol
Medplaya.com

Also consider these accommodations in or near Benalmadena
Hotel Mac Puerto Marina Benalmadena
Sunset Beach Club
Sunset Beach Club
#10 of 45 in Benalmadena
Sol House Costa del Sol by Melia

Been to TUI Sensimar Riviera by MedPlaya? Share your experiences!