“Fab five days in the sun!”

Hotel & Spa Benalmadena Palace
Ranked #5 of 45 Hotels in Benalmadena
Reviewed July 19, 2010

Just got back from a five day, last-minute, mum and daughter (age 20) fab break at the Benalmadena Palace.

Have never been to a big complex before and were a bit sceptical having read some of the reviews but couldn't fault it at all.

From the moment we arrived the staff couldn't have been more helpful. They were all extremely polite and accommodating with perfect English.

Apartments were clean, well maintained and equipped plus excellent maid service. We moved apartments after the second night as the original one had a double bed and we'd requested twin beds. It was on seventh floor in the eaves, with sloping roof - not great for two tall people - and no view from balcony unless standing up, but staff were happy to moves us to an alternative room with twin beds when one became available. Second apartment was great, overlooking pool and terrace.

Pool area was clean and well maintained although whilst signs around pool said sunbeds should not be reserved towels were out at the crack of dawn!

Although we didn't eat in the hotel in the evenings the menu looked varied and there was a full programme of entertainment for adults and children provided by enthusiastic staff.

Location was great - far enough out of town to be quiet, but five minutes from local supermarket, just an easy 10 minute walk to the promenade with bars and restaurants and a 30 minute walk to the marina. The final few yards to the hotel from the main road are up a very steep hill but didn't cause us any problems (before 11pm can cut through the car park which cuts out half of it!)

Transfer from the airport was easy. 20 minute train journey to Benalmadena (1.55 euros each) plus five mins in taxi (8 euros) from station to hotel.

All in all a fab five days with the added bonus of temperatures of 35 degrees!

• Stayed: July 2010
Write a ReviewReviews (2,669)

Reviewed July 14, 2010

I stayed at this hotel last Feb and had a great time, I think some of the staff have changed, as gone were the happy smiling faces. Gone was the fab food in the restaurant and in came the chips !
Cheered myself up last time with some beauty treatments, wont be doing that again in a hurry ! so much for professional, my hair was such a mess afterwards and dont get me started on the so called pedicure, over priced and unqualified.
The evening entertainment hasnt changed since our Feb stay. We bit the bullet and swapped hotel with our friends who were in the area at the same time, they were staying at the Sol Timor which is nearer to the beach ,harbour and night life. (it cost us a bribe but was worth it) the food was fantastic, the staff were great, always smiling and joking with us, their hairdresser managed to save my hair and the entertainment was so much better. Our best night was watching an hypnosis show performed in English and Spanish, it was so funny and really was the best night of our holiday. So if your thinking of booking this hotel. Just have a quick look at the Sol Timor first

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank traveltrim
Reviewed July 6, 2010

This hotel is not very old but managed to feel very 1970s which does fit in with the whole area .
The buffet breakfast was really good and the bacon some of the best ever also the eggs were properly cooked.The evening meal is very british orientated you will find much the same in any uk seaside hotel,although it was all nice I think a 4 star hotel should n't have chicken nuggets as any part of its menu.
This is a real family hotel and the entertainment area/bar was swarming with excited children.I would think in peak season it could become a bit too much
The entertainment was ok although simon cowell would be buzzing most of them off before the finished their acts.Warning dont let your self be photoed with a parrot it will cost you £10
THe walk up to the hotel is definatly not for the faint hearted but should not be too bad for any one with average level of fitness,
if you are on floor 7 your balcony is compleatly private which is quite nice but the attic rooms do have a sloping ceiling which some people might not like.The rooms are well equiped (even on halfboard)with microwave fridge toaster kettle utensils and even an iron and ironing board.
outside the hotelis a large supermarket ,and allthe usual tourist things.including fake scratch card prize people and timeshare etc remember anything free usually costs a lot of money or time .
I didn't like this hotel because I had choosen something unsuitable for me ,but there was nothing wrong with it if you like the Brits abroad ,lager and tattoos type of holiday

I would recomend this hotel but only too the right sort of people

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank zoidd
Reviewed July 5, 2010

Booked through Easy Jet Holidays. I booked (and paid extra for) a one bedroom apartment as I was travelling with my two sons (17 and 12) When I arrived, and handed in my hotel voucher, I was given a key to room 713. The room was a studio with a sloping roof, double bed, wet sofa, leaking fridge and dirty curtains. I went to reception and explained that this was not what I had booked. I was told that there was no other rooms and “maybe tomorrow” there would be a free room. I had taken a copy of my booking and went back to reception . As I had a copy of room booking, the receptionist apologised, and said there must have been a mistake, he was able to give me a one bedroom apartment, but not, as I had requested, a pool view. He said “you will have to pay some more for a pool view“. I thought I’d paid enough!

It is 8/9 Euro for a taxi to the centre/harbour from the Benalmadena

Also, do not take much money to the pool, I had my purse stolen.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed July 4, 2010

have just returned from a week long stay at the palace , having stayed before knew about the hill , yes it is steep but not that bad , just take your time and as mentioned before go through the parking lot or go the back route to the hotel. Rooms ok and seemed to been given a refurb since i last stayed in 2004. Air con is not good in some rooms and this could be a prob in really hot weather. Food a bit overpriced for what you get (i only tried poolside snacks cant say about the main resturant) , beer , wine prices ok. Kiddies club and reps very good and friendly. I found the reception staff very friendly and helpful. A good hotel for families. Entertainment is the typical holiday type, I enjoyed this hotel again and would recommend for a family holiday, by the way yes sunbeds can be had to find.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed July 1, 2010

Having checked reviews on Trip advisor just before departure we were quite worried about how bad this hotel was going to be. However, we were pleasantly surprised overall.
Starting at the beginning, expect to pay approx. 25 - 30 euro for a taxi from Malaga airport to the hotel. Contrary to some reviews, we found the reception staff very efficient, friendly and helpful when checking in. The room we had was clean, basic but adequate for a week's holiday. It was cleaned and towels changed 5 out of 7 days. The air con didn't always work, it seemed to switch on and off whenever it felt like it. This meant opening the window at night and it can be quite noisy in the area with loud music and even louder taxi passengers at 3am!
Outside, the pool area is quite large with a kiddies pool and a large adult pool. There are too many loungers, not enough umbrellas and way too many selfish people who left towels on loungers all day without ever sitting on them. This is despite signs asking people not to do this. The hotel really needs to clamp down on this practice. If you follow the path from the pool area towards the beach and supermarket you will find a small garden area with some loungers and umbrellas. If you are travelling without kids then this is a pleasant haven away from all the screaming and splashing!!!
The hill up to the hotel from the main road is exceptionally steep, definitely a problem for elderly or infirm people or even those with buggies. Going through the car park of the hotel helps but this closes at 8pm. If you're heading to the Marina area at night walk as far as the Marymar apartments and you can get a 110 or 120 bus to quite near the marina for 1.20. Taxi to / from there will set you back 8 - 9 euro.
Overall, Benalmadena Palace was a pleasant place to stay but not perfect.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 30, 2010

Stayed at Benalmadena Palace for 1wk and it was brill. Went with my daughter (20) and both enjoyed the week. Hotel could not have been better, room good, cleaned often. Only downside was the hill to the shops/bars/beach. Lovely pool, great kids club, took them off to do all sorts leaving us sun soakers to the peace and quiet!! Get bus into Torremolinos to go shopping, more choice than Benalmadena. Friendly, helpful staff (except hol rep...was never around when he should have been). All round great holiday!

• Stayed: June 2010