“Best sunset in Benalmadena”

THB Torrequebrada Hotel
Ranked #16 of 45 Hotels in Benalmadena
London, United Kingdom
“Best sunset in Benalmadena”
Reviewed September 24, 2013

Good location, good sized rooms with great views. some of the rooms in the Marbella tower have sunset views, although we had a sunrise view - which was also beautiful. The terrace at the lobby level bar is also a great location for an easrly evening drink to watch the sun go down. I think the hotel could do much more to promote this terrace as the view is truly stunning - a missed opportunity.
The pool and garden areas are good and the hotel beach nice, despite the noise of the hotel airconsitioning plant. The hotel should ensure that the sunbeds are not used by non hotel guests as we went there a couple of times to find all sunbeds occupied by people who were definitely noy guests.
The hotel is at the end of the strip, which was fine for us and there are plenty of bars and restaurants within walking distance.
A couple of criticisms - We had breakfast in the hotel once only,, as the quality was terrrible and the noise and ambience awful - it put us off eating any meals in the hotel at all. The music in the bar also deterred us from being in there as it was tinny and often just radio creating no amience.Having said all that, we would go back.

Room Tip: Marbella tower - sunset side
1 Thank AitchX
TORREQUEBRADA T, Director General at THB Torrequebrada Hotel, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
Dear “AitchX”
First of all, thank you for your comments and observations, we have taken note of them in order to improve our daily running of the hotel.
I hope to see you again staying at our hotel or any other of our chain
Your sincerely,

THB TORREQUEBRADA

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (180)
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 24, 2013

Just back from our 4th visit here and it will probably be the last, sadly.
Pros...the hotel has had some minor cosmetic work during its takeover but generally not a lot has changed. Nice room, lovely staff ( some familiar faces) , pleasant pools and surrounds, terrific views along the coast and right beside the sea. Not too far to walk to local bars and beaches. Buses right outside the door to Fuengirola, Torremolinos or Malaga.

Cons....as others have said, the food, to us, was a major disappointment. Previously , you had waiter service tea/ coffee then a decent self service buffet with, amongst other things, smoked salmon and Serrano ham. Now, in the soulless Mettiterano room, it resembles a works canteen. Unappetising scrambled egg, dried at the edges, etc etc. cheaper cold meats (spam :-) ). Boiled carrots one morning?????The coffee, for me, was poor quality stuff. Undrinkable.
Dinner was little better. I heard many British guests discuss the poor fare...management take note.
One of the main issues was that freshly grilled items (chops, fish, thin steaks) were cooked then left to sit in unheated ceramic dishes to go cold. Unless you got the guy to cook you one in front of you it lost its heat pretty quickly. Compound that with the fact that the plates weren't in a warmer. Cold plates= cold food.
Too much pasta and rice fillers....cheap..chicken nuggets...need I go on.
Instead of being something to look forward to, dinner was eminently missable...which we did a few times.
The waiting staff, who were all excellent, must notice the amount of wastage.
I'd hope to hear of some improvements on the food side of things before I would recommend or return.
Shame that, as it has everything else a decent hotel needs.

2 Thank Stormborn53
Dear “Brian M”
Firstly we are sorry for not being able to meet your expectations.
Given that your opinions above food are respected, they are also subjective, in our establishment we have a cycle consisting of 14 rotary gastronomic different menus so that you do not repeat the menu for at least 14 days. This cycle has a common food base that aims to cover both tastes and nutritional needs objective of most of our guests. Yet we offer our customers the possibility to adapt our dishes to their needs if you are diabetic, celiac, lactic or vegetarian. This way you have found and will find every day: one different type of rice, two varieties of pasta with 4 different types of sauces, one buffet of salads and crudités with products so that you can make the salad to taste, 2 salads composed , pizza of the day, 4 assorted fried choices, 3 different fish grilled without sauce and 1 with sauce , 3 kinds of grilled meat without sauce and 1 with sauce, 3 types of vegetables a day, a varied buffet of desserts and fresh fruit. Like I said before, I can understand that you think there was a poor variety of food but in our opinion, is more than enough, since we offer almost every product.
In relation to your comment about the inadequate temperature of the food only to remark that our buffets are regulated and registered by internal control systems in order to avoid just this kind of error. During all the season, our stored records do not demonstrate any significant alterations anyway, we have checked it again.. Still I wish to remind you that our staff would have gladly taken note of you complaint and relayed it.
I appreciate your confidence in THB and. We hope you give us another opportunity to rebuild your trust in us.
Your sincerely,

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 23, 2013

The hotel was described as good quality with excellent entertainment and a superior rating.
The room was very spacious but had an odour of dampness. The strange smell spread to some corridors and the restaurant on a couple of occasions, I can only put it down to marble floor polish but whatever it was we had to change places in order to be able to eat.
The maincourse buffet food in the restaurant was poorly presented, frequently with two or more choices not available at the counter -not replenished by the kitchen staff, mostly luke warm at best, only hot if a specially grilled item, repetitive ( dogfish 4 days on the trot ), not particularly representative of Spanish food ( the beach restaurants offer a much better range, better cooked and presented ). How hard can it be to keep a dish hot? By contrast, the wine was excellent.
The entertainment was lamentable in the evenings except if external acts were booked that we had to pay for. One evening a famous Dutch singer turned up late and spent more time at the bar than singing. He managed 2 songs ( incompletely ) in half an hour. We then left early.
The design of the hotel means that there is no central social gathering point and mostly we felt that people had gone out or to bed early. It is a large complex with no focus or indeed clear directions on where everything is, not even upon arrival ( eg. a site map / welcome pack ? ).
The casino was not our prime interest but I would describe it as average and all slots were Spanish based.
The pools were fine and the view stupendous.
The hotel shop stocked no basics eg. water, papers, crisps, snacks, minor mediicines. Only souvenirs.
I guess those who stay B & B would not notice since they are out all the time.

Room Tip: Corner suites seem larger and mostly have a sea view. A/C noise is noticeable inside and out in the...
Dear “Robert P”
About our meals, in our establishment we have a cycle consisting of 14 rotary gastronomic different menus so that you do not repeat the menu for at least 14 days. This cycle has a common food base that aims to cover both tastes and nutritional needs objective of most of our guests. Yet we offer our customers the possibility to adapt our dishes to their needs if you are diabetic, celiac, lactic or vegetarian. This way you have found and will find every day: one different type of rice, two varieties of pasta with 4 different types of sauces, one buffet of salads and crudités with products so that you can make the salad to taste, 2 salads composed , pizza of the day, 4 assorted fried choices, 3 different fish grilled without sauce and 1 with sauce , 3 kinds of grilled meat without sauce and 1 with sauce, 3 types of vegetables a day, a varied buffet of desserts and fresh fruit. Like I said before, I can understand that you think there was a poor variety of food but in our opinion, is more than enough, since we offer almost every product.
We have two different entertainment programs during the whole week for adult and children activities. We did not have a Duch singer in the hotel, in fact, the only singers we have, are the Jazz Trio that plays every Thursday at saphir bar in our Jazz and Tapas Night and the Salsa Quartet that has been playing every Wednesday at the gardens area during the summer.
The hotel shop, is a souvenirs shop, that’s the reason why the don’t sell basics. Just in front of the hotel, there is a supermarket.
Thank you for giving us the opportunity to improve due to your observations and we hope that you will give us another opportunity to prove that we work hard each day to improve our product so as to make your stay, and the other guests as well, an experience worth repeating.

THB TORREQUEBRADA

Travelers are raving about these Benalmadena hotels

Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 21, 2013

we came back a few weeks ago and i feel i must write a positive review about this hotel.
This is a 4 star rated hotel and is trying to regain a 5 star status with ongoing improvements.
The hotel is a good 4 star, the rooms do need updating but are still good standard, with cleaning staff in every day, clean towels, sheets etc. The views from all rooms are sea views and we had room 916 with a stunning view. As i knew by reading up on the hotel i did take my own kettle, and never bother with hotel toiletries anyway i always take my own, a mini fridge is provided its small but can fit lots in! and a free safe.
Check in is slow with two staff on but i just sat and had a coffee and waited for my partner to do it lol
We stayed B&B and the breakfast was very good, plenty for everyone we went at 8.30 and got good tables looking out to sea does get busy 9.00 onwards, and yes understaffed in this area but did not bother me we just ate and went lol
The hotels own beach is rocky but you can still sunbath and its free! another beach is further up which is very nice but if you want beds you will pay 9euros.
pool area is fantastic, two pools very clean, one shallow one deep, but loads of sunbeds all around the grounds and no matter what time you can get a bed!
the hotel has two blocks to it either are ok to stay in.
I used the spa and Sonia who runs it is so lovely and did a fantastic job on my tired old feet lol.
there is an indoor pool also with jets in and a mini gym, i did have a go on a treadmill but not for me.
The location of the hotel is fantastic, right by the sea, i loved looking out everymorning watching the sun come up.
It is out of the way of the main area we walked to the marina which is fantastic, this takes about 40mins but the walk is lovely, buses are available and are regular also it depends what you prefer.
we paid a visit to the old town this is also a must so pretty, and plenty to see.
There are plenty of restaurants to visit, we thought the Argentinia Steak House, and El Grecos Greek Restaurant was good food or just over the road from the hotel a Spanish Bar where we also ate was La Trairata, lots of lovely food there also.
I overall would rate this hotel a four star and the surrounding area does have a few tacky bars, but this is up the very top end, if you dont go walking or sight seeing you will not find things.
we are both in our 50s and walked for miles and i dont walk at home, but there a some beautiful sights to see here.
I also must comment on the previous review on high rise developments i did not think this was the case now ive been to Benidorm thats highrise!!
This is a long review but i feel the hotel has had some pretty negative reviews and i found different, or may be easy to please but judge for yourself.

Room Tip: 916 fantastic view
4 Thank Kitty147
Dear "Kitty147"
We can assure you that in THB Hotels we work very hard every day to improve our services and guest attention, so we greatly appreciate your feedback and hope to see you here again with us.
Thank you for taking the time to send us your opinions.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 20, 2013

Having never visited the Costa Del Sol before, upon arriving I was taken aback by how built up and English it all was. I felt sad that a beautiful coastline in this area has been ruined by tacky cafes, Irish bars, and huge concrete high rises. What happened to Spain! It's very sad, and compared to other European coastlines, very ugly. I wanted to get the first flight home but was hopeful that the 5 star THB Torrequebrada would alleviate my fears.
We arrived at reception before the 2pm check in time and were told that we may have to wait 2 hours for our room to be ready, and wait we did. At this point a complimentary drink would have been nice, even a bottle of water, we had been travelling since 3am and the receptionist could see we were thirsty and tired. We queued 3 times to finally get our key - why not put more staff on at check in time?
We were lucky to be put in the Marbella Tower looking west, the room was large with a huge bed and lovely views to the sea. There was a nice balcony but the metal upright chairs were not for reclining on, or even sitting on for more than 5 minutes. The mattress and pillows on the bed were very hard, I am 31 years old and have experienced back ache for the first time! The bathroom was ok, not 5 star standard, and the toiletries were the cheapest of the cheap - take your own!
We went half board but this was a mistake. Despite the description of the hotel stating otherwise, we only had the option of dining in the buffet style restaurant. The food at this hotel is the worst of any hotel I have stayed in. The quality was so cheap, each dish was oily and cold, the steaks the thinnest I have ever seen. I was offended that the hotel think it's acceptable to serve this rubbish. The coffee at breakfast comes from a machine and is rancid. I didn't have a coffee all week as there are no tea or coffee facilities in the room. The processed meats and cheeses were cheap, this is not a 5 star dining experience. I managed to get by on some bread rolls and fruit for breakfast and we didn't eat there once at dinner. If you're thinking of getting dressed up for dinner, forget it, it's like eating school dinners at a canteen. There seemed to be one lady running the whole place so if you get to breakfast late there are no clean tables available.
The private 'beach' is too stony to even go into the sea. There is a neighbouring beach next door where we found a lovely beach cafe called 'Luna' bar which served lovely quality food at a very reasonable price - we ate here most nights. For beach towels, we had to leave a 40 euro deposit for two towels, This is because, we were told, that last year 300 towels were stolen. There is therefore a ridiculous system whereby you receive a ticket for your 40 euro and this is given to a man by the pool who will provide you with a towel. I cannot believe that this system is more cost effective than loosing 300 towels a year (that must wholesale at around 2 euro a towel, have the management done the math?)
Now for some positives - the pool area is nice and peaceful and clean, with lovely views. The cleaner will clean your room everyday if you require. The staff are friendly but I personally believe that they are over-worked and understaffed.
I wish the hotel all the luck for the future as it has the potential to be much better. However I don't think they can compete with other 5 star hotels available in destinations such as Egypt and Greece. I hope this review is of use.

Room Tip: Stay in the Marbella Tower looking out to the west. Don't pay through the odds for an airport t...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
TORREQUEBRADA T, Director General at THB Torrequebrada Hotel, responded to this review, September 21, 2013
Dear “nat47”;
Firstly we would like to convey our sincere apologies for not being able to meet your expectations. We work hard every day to make us worthy of the trust of leading National and International tour operators and agencies.
I would like to remark, that Hotel THB Torrequebrada is not a 5 stars hotel, is a 4 stars hotel, I don’t know where did you receive this information, but it’s wrong. If you are so kind of sending us the agency or web page were the hotel is announced as 5 stars, we’ll get in touch with them immediately.
As I am sure, you’ll understand, if check out time is 12.00 is completely impossible to have a room clean and ready at the same time, and more during the high season. Of course, if the room is available when the guest arrives we do immediately the check in independently of the time. Understandably, nobody likes waiting and if this caused you some inconvenience please accept our sincere apologies. Anyway I want to say that our Check in time is from 15.00.
The half board food service is given at our main buffet restaurant Mediterraneo. A part from this if you want to eat a “la carte” you can do it at Saphir’s Bar at the reception, in casino’s Restaurant, or a snack at the pool bar, obviously has an extra charge. We don’t have kettle in the room and we don’t offer it. We respect you subjective opinions (not the word used to call our food) concerning the food but would like to inform you that in our establishment we have a cycle consisting of 14 different rotary gastronomic menus so that the menus are not repeated for at least 14 days. The aim of this rotation is based on, and covers, both objective tastes and the nutritional needs of our guests. We also offer our guests dietary options to meet their needs in the case of diabetic, celiac, lactic allergy, vegan and vegetarian. Due to this you will find each day: one different type of rice, two varieties of pasta with different sauces, one buffet of salads and crudités, 3 mixed salads, assorted pizzas, assorted children’s options, two different grilled fish options and one with sauce, two kinds of grilled meat options and one with sauce, 3 types of vegetables a day and an extensive buffet of desserts and fresh fruit. Our restaurant has more than sufficient capacity for our guests so I can guarantee that when they go to the restaurant tables are available, if you wanted to sit at a table that had not yet been cleared probably because some guests had just left the table, it is normal to have to wait for the table to be cleared, this is not due lack of staff, it’s only the choice of the table.
For beach towels, ask our guests to leave a 40 euro deposit that is returned when they give us back the towels. We really appreciate your advice to change our system, but I think that a 2 euros towels would have a few day’s use.
Thanking you send us your comments,

Reviewed September 17, 2013

After reading all the negative reviews on here about the hotel i didn't know what to expect at all when coming here for 11days. Much to say i don't know what people are complaining about. We had no problems what so ever, the hotel was lovely, stayed B&B and the food was always hot and had plenty of choice! The room was cleaned everyday which i wasn't expecting and everyone seemed friendly. You could always guarantee getting a bed around the pool and there is a lovely beach part of the hotel where we went a few times.

For evening meals we mainly walked along to Benalmadena front where we had a different choice of restaurants. We much liked the Italian restaurant just round the corner from the hotel we ate there on more than one occasion as the food and service was brilliant. We also ate at La Cala and found this again was a great restaurant.

We had a room in the marbella tower with a sea view which was just beautiful.

I would stay at this hotel again in the future and would highly recommend it to anyone wanting to visit Benalmadena.

Room Tip: Always go for a seaview the views are breath taking! Marbella tower has lovely views.
2 Thank KatieDavidW
TORREQUEBRADA T, Director General at THB Torrequebrada Hotel, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
Dear “KatieDavidw”
Thank you very much for taking time to express your comments concerning our hotel.
We hope to see you here with us again in the near future.
Yours sincerely

Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 17, 2013

nice hotel good food nice gardens pools not for infants reception some staff good some rude overall enjoyded stay not for people with walking problems lots off steps uphill dinner at night was to late 1930hrs could be earlier

Room Tip: choose a pool view
Dear “Billspring123”
The professionalism of our reception team is beyond doubt, as surely you can check through the comments made by other guests in this and other forums of opinion. Even so, rest assured that the hotel management will make inquiries about your comments.
Thank you for taking the time to send us your opinions.