“Flutterbies aplenty”

Butterfly Park of Benalmadena
Ranked #5 of 65 things to do in Benalmadena
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: We are located in the heart of the Costa del Sol and only 20 minutes from Malaga. In this spectacular Thai temple, you can walk amongst more than 1,500 exotic butterflies from around the world, flying freely in a tropical paradise between waterfalls and flowers. You will be able to observe how they are born, how they reproduce and enjoy learning many things about these wonderful insects.
Eastbourne, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Flutterbies aplenty”
Reviewed May 8, 2013

I love butterflies anyway so this was always going to be a time of pleasure but it proved to be so much better than expected. The local bus stop is just near by, it's easy to see when to get off as the Buddhist Temple, next to the Butterfly park is clearly visible. No queue to get in, you have to be over 65 to qualify for senior, made me feel good even if it cost more! One of the staff inside advised us that a brief talk in English would be starting in a few minutes, this was very interesting about the different stages of butterflies and moths standing watching said butterflies emerge from their chrysalis'.
The flora is worth a visit even without the amazing butterflies that were all around us. There were beautifully coloured little birds, a baby wallaby(!) and we saw a couple of iguanas posing for photos!
We stayed much longer that anticipated and would liked to have been able to have a bite to eat but as yet there are no facilities although it looks as if there may well be in the future. It was quite a trek (I had my 87 year old Mother with me) to the Pueblo to find a cafe and a very reasonable and freshly cooked lunch.
The views out over the coast were wonderful from by the Temple.
The loos were clean and good.
The buses apparently are rather hit or miss timewise but we were lucky in both directions.

Visited April 2013

• Finnish first
  • Polish first
Athlone, Ireland
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“Lovely”
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Worth a look if your in the area would not travel far to see it.Lots of lovely flutter byes lol,you wont stay long inside with the butterflies .

Visited October 2012
Sligo
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 47 helpful votes
“A magical place”
Reviewed May 6, 2013

This may be small but it is something special. Such a delight to have butterflies flying over you. There are also birds, an iguana and a wallaby.
You can come in and out as much as you please during the day which is handy as it's quite humid.
It's also right beside the Buddhist Temple which has beautiful views. We took a bus from Torremolinos which only cost €1.50 each single and it's quite a fair way up the mountain so this was very reasonble. I booked the butterfly tickets online and got them cheaper.
I would go back again and would recommend this lovely place.

Visited May 2013
Copenhagen, Denmark
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“smaller than expected but a nice little trip”
Reviewed April 30, 2013

I think we spent about an hour there and had a nice time, but the "park" was smaller than what we expected. Luckily not many people were there at the same time as us. Don't expect to make an all-day event out of going :-)

Visited April 2013
London, United Kingdom
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“I love butterflies, so I was easily pleased”
Reviewed April 29, 2013

We travelled by bus from Avenida del Sol to the butterfly park. The ride took about 15 minutes & the bus stop to the attraction is only a few yards away.

Apart from all the colourful butterflies fluttering around freely, we also spotted a baby wallaby, a couple of iguana and some brightly coloured little birds.

I wend armed with my camera and got so many nice shots ... the morpho butterflies were the hardest to capture because they'd never stop in one place for long enough. But I eventually capture a few on camera and was a happy bunny.

Because it's a butterfly habitat, be prepared for the extreme warmth.

I'd recommend a walk down the hill the Benalmadena Pueblo, once you've finished at the park.

Visited March 2013