“Somewhat better than average”
Review of Baboo

Baboo
Ranked #512 of 730 Restaurants in Benalmadena
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed January 13, 2013

Had lunch on a Friday with friends. Located at Benalmadena's tiny municipal golf course across from the high resolution hospital, there is ample parking and a nice view of the coast at a distance. We were given a nice table, the restaurant is well decorated and quite clean. We found the staff to be attentive and helpful. We all ordered off the menu of the day (around 12 euros) I ordered a potato dish for a starter that was the admiration of the others at the table. It was a chopped potato with bits of bacon in a tasty molasses sauce. For my second dish I had the chicken sausages, my friends all ordered the fish. The chicken wasn't bad, rather bland, nothing special. If i returned I would not order it again. My friends all said they enjoyed the fish, though the portions seemed tiny to me. If baboo wants to rise above being just a nice place to eat they must improve the food. We all enjoyed our time together and our nice lunch out, but I doubt my wife and I will return any time soon.

Reviewed October 12, 2012

food was pretentious, tiny, poorly executed, and massively overpriced.
my seafood starter was overcooked, under seasoned.
my main was also sea food that was not only tiny, but also overcooked to the point where it was hard to eat, no seasoning and if that wasn't enough it was full of fish bones.
the desert was just a joke. over baked cake to say the least.
i think the owner hired her untrained cousin to be the cheff in this restaurant and he got his recipes off youtube. yet another disappointment! oh what a surprise (NOT)

Reviewed October 6, 2012

The monkfish dish was a new kind of awful, a gellatine layer under the fish along with the hard over cooked octopus (which should have been prawns) made this a dish to remember. The dessert looked and tasted like a cheap mercadona packet chocolate cake. What is it about this part of the world that means you have to go to 5 bad or mediocre restaurants before you find a good one!

Reviewed September 13, 2012

My family and I ate at this restaurant twice during our week long stay. Its located a fair bit away from the beach area, but has a very good view and the restaurant setting is very modern with seating both inside and outside.
The first time we called our waitress was very good indeed, pleasant and helpful and always at hand to top up the wine, albeit the restaurant was very quiet to start with.
The vegtable tempura was delicious, (although could have been doing with more accompanying soya sauce), as was the sea food kebab. The pork and vegtable stir fries were also very good, but beware of the main pork dish, it is based on a stick of TNT and is very pretentious and would not feed a mouse. Midway through our service our waitress appeared to go for a break and the replacement one was, to be honest poor in comparison. We shared a dessert and it was nothing special. In summary, our first visit overall, taking everything into consideration was very good and we thoroughly enjoyed our night as we remained after our meal drinking wine and soaking up the atmosphere once the restaurant filled up.
On the second occasion we basically had much the same meal again, the vegtable tempura was good but not as crisp and light as the first time, the stir fries were again very good and this time I kept well away from the pork dish and ordered a steak which was very good. Again we had a dessert to share and it was much better and I also had an Irish coffee which was luke warm but was re-heated. We also had the same two waitresses, the 'not so good one' was still not good and the other 'good' one was not nearly as friendly this time or as helpful, it was like she had just fallen out with her boyfriend. The wine waiter was very slow and we had to ask several times for our wine to arrive.
In summary, when it is good it is very good and when it is not it is average, however I feel that this place has great potential and if it were to be consistent I am sure it would shoot up the ratings.

Reviewed June 15, 2012

Just thought i would share this with all you travellers. We recently had our wedding here in Baboo it was amazing from arriving to a tall chilled glass of cava to the meal and service it was more than we ever expected. The service was brilliant and so friendly the food was spot on we had he monkfish and pork and everybody was said how tasty it was including our wedding planner and photographer who have nothing to gain by telling us it was nice when infact it was'nt but again Baboo was brilliant and well worth the money.

1  Thank louise_Gateshead