“Unless you dont want to sleep this hotel is fine!”
Review of Vista de Rey

Vista de Rey
Ranked #39 of 45 Hotels in Benalmadena
Lancaster, United Kingdom
“Unless you dont want to sleep this hotel is fine!”
Reviewed March 10, 2014

Hotel looked lovely on the internet and I did check out reviews before booking and everything seemed great, especially the price, however, I arrived home today and can safely say you get what you pay for! Where do I start???? Good job we hired a car! However, to park the car they charge you 3 euro per day! It is way out if you have no transport, yes it is right next to the train station but getting the train everywhere is expensive and the last one is around 11pm so cant go for a night out without an expensive taxi ride. It is up a massive hill and to walk anywhere would take an hour or so. Anyway, when we checked in our rooms ( we had 2) they were quite basic but had most things you would need, we booked double rooms but they are just 2 singles pushed together. Unpacked, safe in the wardrobe, but wait, you have to pay for that as well! We thought we would go in the pool, however, it was absolutely freezing and the bottom of it was covered in litter, so we decided against it. So we thought we would just have a couple of hours chill and watch a bit of tv before heading out, however, there was only 1 English chanel which is discovery max, which yes, most men will love but not family viewing really. The maid only comes every 3/4 days and she doesn't do much, just changes beds and towels. Most of the staff do not speak much English with a couple of them speaking none. Yet, I still haven't got to the worst part yet! The walls are like , well, I would say cardboard, but they are more like tissue paper. There were around 5 Spanish familys there staying on the ground level (which is where we were), I cant swear to it but we think they were actually living there, cant describe why, it was just the feeling we got. They woke around 7.30am and were extremely noisy from the moment they woke, the adults and the many, many children. The noise didn't stop and which seemed to get worse from around 8pm and carried on until 2.30am ish, this was the adults and the kids. It wasn't just people being noisy having a good time they were just really noisy, its hard to describe but we had had enough by the second night and complained to the staff who did speak to them but they only toned it down slightly. I don't know what they were doing in the rooms next to us but it sounded like they change the furniture layout every half hour, scraping all the furniture accross the floor for hours, every day! The same families tried on several occasions to sell me fake goods, coming over to my apartment and not taking no for an answer, you get enough of that from lucky lucky men in the main resorts, you don't expect it from guests at the apartment's! We seemed to have x factor auditions in the room next to us every night from 11pm - 2am with a Spanish woman singing at top of her lungs non stop. The best thing about our stay there was our check out this morning! And they never even asked if we had enjoyed our stay, just took our room key and said bye. I can safely say I will not recommend this hotel to anyone!!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank baxterbee

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
  • Polish first
Derbyshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 6, 2014 via mobile

I booked a 3 night stay here for my partners birthday.. I didn't look for anywhere fancy, just somewhere ideal for a short break! This was a very cheap getaway for us and I must say it was perfect! This hotel is lovely! We was greeted by a lovely lady on reception, who can I just add, was mortified that we paid 40 euros for a taxi from the airport when we could of got the train! I had spoke to a taxi man about getting a train to this hotel and he lied to me saying the train does not stop at this hotel and that it's in the middle of no where- please ignore these horrid, money grabbing taxi men because the train service is smack bang opposite the hotel and cost us 2 euro each to get back to the airport on departure date!! I'm still so angry that the taxi man took that amount of money from us, which is why I'm making others aware! Anyway, the hotel- I loved!! The room was very modern with all the self-catering facilities u need! I was amazed by the bathroom :) The pool was closed, but I wouldn't of step foot in it anyway as it's not quite warm enough yet, although I managed to burn amongst the clouds!! Everything is a walk away-we walked probably an hour to get to where all the bars are! Really liked Cocoas bar, lovely view facing the sea! If you don't fancy long walks however, you can get the train :) I would definitely recommend this hotel and wouldn't hesitate on returning!

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Carrie M
Isle of Skye, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 1, 2014

Booked a week in this "hotel" not knowing it was in the middle of nowhere, sure there is atrain station beside it but if you are a family of three then it works out about a extra €20 a day by the time you travel around to various places for something to do in the day and at night as there is nothing to do in the hotel or the surrounding areas, you are on top of hill with nothing but houses around you, the hotel staff look and act as though they have just finshed chewing a nettle that a dog has just done wee on .The walls are paper thin you could hear everything next door to you and beneath and above you not very good for a relaxing lay in or early night.It was quite cheap to book which is fair enough you cant expect too much, but by the time you add up the train fares over the course of the week it turned into quite a costly holiday and considering we could t wait to get home meant it was a complete waste of money.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank grant b

Travelers are raving about these Benalmadena hotels

Faversham, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 25, 2014

Pleasant and quiet base for exploring the costa del sol. Nice for people who want to do some walking. Shopping is handy to Fuengirola and Los Boliches stops on the railway which stops just outside the hotel. No train noise, a little traffic noise in the morning. Night time very quiet. Lovely modern rooms with balcony, kitchen with fridge, micro and hob. Perfect for self catering. Small supermarket near the sea with limited choice but ok for necessities. Within 50 mins. walk to Benalmadena and the Pueblo, the latter steeply up hill.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Maryann J
Doncaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 8, 2014

Three nights self-catering and cannot fault the standard of the apartment - well-equipped and spotlessly clean. The location is a different matter and it will not suit anyone who is looking for nightlife or is not too good on their legs as you would not be able to move far with using the very-convenient train.
Most guests were Spanish; I think I was the only English person there and the very nice TV has reception only for Spanish channels.
The Kwik Save Supermarket down the hill is closed and it appears to be stripped out so that might not just be for the Winter season. The local supermarket further down is OK but has limited choice and is a little more expensive than the proper supermarkets.
Only had dealings with 2 reception staff: one a bit dour but did the job, the other very pleasant.
Can't fault the hotel - just be certain the location is suitable for you.

Room Tip: Rooms in the left (East?) wing back onto a road and pick up a bit of traffic noise. It was not noti...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
4 Thank Linetapper
Gloucester
Reviewed February 4, 2014 via mobile

Your calf muscles will be aching. I came back fitter not fatter. This is more like a motel than hotel and I mean that in a good way. Excellent polite service.
Great point to travel around from.
Limited facilities.. you won't get evening entertainment here.
We didn't get evening meal but at an amazing sister restaurant about half a mile away. BLANKKO check it out.

• Stayed January 2014
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 26, 2014

good basic standard ,clean stayed in room 106 ideal for a quiet base stay train station short stones throw away Spanish train fares are much cheaper than England runs between
Malaga & fuengeriola no good if you dont to use transport to get around !the pool a bit on the small side a bit on the cool side for january ! the bar in the lobby area very basic ! poolside bar not in use in winter months but looks ok !

Room Tip: poolside rooms nice suntrap
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends