Vista de Rey
  • Bar/Lounge
Hotel La Fonda(Benalmadena)
$155
  • Breakfast included
MS Alay Apartments(Benalmadena)(Great Value!)
$76
Holiday Village(Benalmadena)
$114
$108
  • Restaurant
All reviewsopposite the train stationtrain servicemalaga airportcatch the trainlocal supermarketlady on receptiontop floorbudget hotelsmall supermarketquiet areaother resortsthese apartmentsplenty of hot waterlarge balconydown hillbenalmadena pueblohotel is situated
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 29, 2012

Just had a very restful week at the Vista De Rey - would recommend this hotel to anyone wanting a good, clean, comfortable base with excellent access to the railway line serving the Costa Del Sol. The balconies are very spacious and I would recommend asking for a first floor room as you are sheltered from any rain but still have the privacy that the ground floor rooms didnt have.
We went self catering and the kitchen facilities are perfectly good for 2 people to put the occasional meal together although we found that in most cases it was just as cheap to eat out using the menu del dia which averaged about 9 euros a head for 3 courses or even less if you used one of the Chinese restaurants in Arroyo De Miel one stop away on the train ( 1.65 euros adult single)
The local british supermarket was well stocked and had a small cafe area and next door but one was a bar which we didnt visit - we did however visit La Lucena restaurant a little further towards the beach on 3 occasions and can highly recommend the mixed fried fish and the tapas.
If you are looking for a relaxing break at a good price I can highly recommend this hotel

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Christine C
Reviewed October 26, 2012

Stayed here 11-18th October. Overall impression of the hotel is quite good. Clean and tidy, rooms spacious and well kept. Kitchen adequate for a weeks stay, bathroom well appointed.
Stayed self catering so no idea of food quality in dining room. Pool small, but okay to dip into and cool off. The staff were friendly and I had nothing but good service from all of them.
The hotel is a bit of a way from anywhere but has the efficient and quiet local trains within a hundred yards as compensation. British supermarket about 5 mins downhill walk (10 mins back, laden). A bar or two but nothing much of interest nearby. However, useful as a base to visit towns nearby. Supermarket right next to the station entrance in Fuengirola is useful to know as the Super Save British supermarket near the hotel is limited and a bit on the dear side.
Eating out in Arroyo de la Miel, Torremolinos and Fuengirola is reasonably cheap and varied. Malaga restaurants are, on the whole, more authentic as Malaga, although it gets lots of visitors, is not a purpose built resort town. Nor is Arroyo de la Miel, ut as it runs directly into Benalmadena has succumbed to the Burger King brand!
Recommend taking the trip an the cable car from Arroyo de la Miel up to the top of the mountain and a day trip to Gibraltar allows you to stock up on cheap, duty free tobacco, spirits etc.
All in all, a good trip, but next time I will look at staying a bit nearer the beach.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank Roderick C
Reviewed October 13, 2012

just returned from Vista De Rey we did enjoy our stay here although we had 4 days rain. The rooms are spacious and have all the usual requirements if you are self catering. We went room only as we much prefer to eat out so I cannot coment on the food if you go half board.
I will admit that we found the distance from Benalmadena a pain as we had to commute daily either by bus or train.
The bar down the small hill (Chique) is nice but dont have a restaurant so the only other place to eat within walking distance is the Spanish restaurant which we ate at twice. I found the menu ok but a bit pricey.
The staff were helpful with us as we had a rather noisy neighbour move in half way through our stay and we were moved straight away so that we didnt have to listen to them talking loudly / singing & swearing when they returned from a night out.
I think I would have liked the cleaner to visit more than every three days but it didnt cause us much of a problem as we always keep things tidy anyway.
I disagree that the lady on reception was unfriendly, we found her quite nice, maybe if you are pleasant to people then you get a similar response.
We probably wont return to this hotel again only because the position is too far from where we like to be in Benalmadena.

Room Tip: If you have a chance ask to be in either room 321 or 301 as they are at the end of the top floor and have best views and are bigger and quieter than all the others
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Wayne099
Reviewed October 10, 2012

We have just returned from an 10 night stay at the Vista de Rey.We satayed in room 102 which is a ground floor room which opened out directly by the pool. it is a very nice hotel,although strictly speaking they are studio appartments.They have everything you would need for your stay,microwave/grill,pans cutlry and crockery.
The rooms are spacious very clean and nicely decorated bathrooms aren`t the biggest but are what they are I`m 6`2" but didn`t struggle. The hotel has a bar we only used a few times,it`s pricey for some things,a San Miguel is 2 Euros for a can that costs 60 cents at the local supermarket! cans of pop and big bottles of water are 1 Euro and 1.5 Euros. We stayed B &B and to be fair the quality was ok,it`s a continental breakfast...of sorts,you wouldnt go hungry,if something ran out it was replced ,the staff peered around the door every so often, although hardly spoilt for choice,3 types of ham and salami, cheese,jam and marmalade and 3 types of cereal,sliced bread and rolls,hot and cold drinks machine and a toaster that well doesn`t work very well to put it politly
The reception staff were very helpful and polite at all times,check in was quick and easy.Safes are in the room and cost about 4 euros a day with a 10 euro deposit.
The local area has 2 well stocked supermarkets,a good bar called La chique 2.5 euros for a pint and 3 restaurants,1 was closed while we were there but Luciano 2 was fabulous a bit pricey perhaps but very very good and the steaks are huge and the beset to most places I`ve had in a long time,the restaurant next door is also very good and we had lunch there and it too was very good.
The easiest way to get about is by train opposite the hotel.1.45 to get to most places,although someyimes you had a bit of a walk to get to your destination! Down the bank from the hotel is the main road and a main bus route 1.45 euros takes you to most places and buses run every 20 mins.
I have probably missed a load of things which I was going to put in,so if there is anything you need to know don`t hesitate to get in touch.
Would I stay here again YES we have booked to go back in May,can`t wait.

Room Tip: All rooms get the sun,as you stand in reception and look to the pool,the rooms on the right get the morning sun
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Andy N
Reviewed October 5, 2012

I have just returned after a 2 week stay at this hotel. Everything has pretty well been covered by previous reviews,so I can only give my own brief perspective.
The mini apartments are extremely well appointed with everything you don't normally expect to find,like an electric kettle,toaster and coffee maker. The room was clean and tidy,but I did notice a bit of crumbling around the edges ! The door seemed to be made of compressed paper and was starting to separate at the bottom as was the plasti-coated fibre board facing panels outside. A case of cheap materials I'm afraid. The bed was very comfy and it was pretty quiet, so sleep quality was good. A large TV was in the room so I plugged my media player in for entertainment some evenings and for the 4 days of torrential rain we experienced. I noticed that some balconies were bigger than others but except for 1 on the middle floor corner, all got the sun either morning or evening.
I had paid half board and whilst breakfast was OK, the evening meal,for me,was pretty dire. There seemed to be a severe portion control in place so you can't have a bit more of what you like to make up for what you don't. So I suggest you go B&B or self catering, one of the staff told me the latter is what they wanted everyone to do!
I also fell for the shuttle purchase but should have done better research first.
So to sum up, hotel good,food bad.

Room Tip: I always go for the top floor if possible.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo