“Not a priviledge”

Comfort Suites Mesquite
Ranked #6 of 19 Hotels in Mesquite
Reviewed August 30, 2013

We chose the Comfort Suites, Mesquite because it was
a) close to the Dallas City and b) was cheaper to stay here than in the city.
But I must admit that, and I'm sorry to say: This hotel is NOT the standard we normally find at Comfort Suites hotels.
The staff was nice, friendly, but the hotel itself is a bit used and in need of a fresh-up.
The couch and chair in the reception area was really dirty and worn - must be replaced- I for one wouldn't sit in it.
The room itself was OK, and the beds/pillows as expected.
The breakfast area was OK, but the brakfast itself ran out fast, and was not filled adequately as
the breakfast staff was more into small talking with the recptionist, so we had to ask for things several times.
Several of the eggs in the fridge was brown and was not removed (they were still there the day after) - yuck.
And the promised 'coffee all day' ? nope not here. When we returned after a day in Dallas - no coffee and it was not replaced. Why you ask ? Because the receptionist was busy watching NFL preseason on the TV.
I am really sorry for this rather negative review, but I didn't expect nor hoped for this when we booked this hotel, as all the Comfort Suites we've stayed in has been really good and pleasant - just not this one.
I'm a choice privilege member, but I can't really say that it was a privilege to stay here apart from the rate - sorry Comfort Suites.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank bastian87
Mathew D, Manager at Comfort Suites Mesquite, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2013

I am very frustrated to hear of your recent stay. We must be better then this and I promise to handle this with urgency. I want to address a few of your concerns directly, in hopes to rehabilitate your faith in our hotel. If you would like I am happy to speak with you personally either via email, or direct phone conversation. My email is csgmmd@hotmail.com or feel free to reach me by phone 972-329-9400. thank you for your feedback, its not easy to hear, but important to know.

Mathew Dorn CHA and General Manager

Reviewed July 10, 2013

We selected this hotel as a midway point between Half Price Books in Dallas and the Terrell Performing Arts Center where we were going to see a Southern Gospel concert. It suited our needs well and was easy to find. It's unusual that you must go through a strip center parking lot to get to the building, but no biggie really.

The room itself was o.k. nothing great, but I was not expecting fancy. We booked a room with 2 queen size beds, but they seemed more like a double bed to me. I didn't officially measure the beds so I can't say for sure. The pillows on the bed are square...as a math teacher I love squares....but I certainly did not love the square pillows! They were uncomfortable and left both my husband and myself with a crick in our neck :( Overall the room was, like I said ok, but some attention to detail would have been nice. For example, the clock was unplugged (which I easily fixed) and the blowdryer was inoperable (which I was unable to fix), and the bathroom could have used a coat of paint.

Breakfast downstairs was a bit underwhelming...cereal, toast etc. We opted to eat out on our way to the bookstore instead.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Mathew D, General Manager at Comfort Suites Mesquite, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2013

My name is Mathew Dorn and I am the General Manager. I wanted to thank you for your review it seemed fair and genuine. I also wanted to address a few things you mentioned so you are reassured that we are committed to your satisfaction. We have two size beds in our facility, in rooms with two beds they are Queen Size, and we also have Single bedded rooms with King sized beds. Our pillows are rather smallish, a fact not missed on many of our guests. They are Choice Hotels Branded pillows which we are required to stock every room with. The Good news is Choice has heard your and many of our guests voice and is implementing a New Pillow program set to roll out December 31st 2013. This program will give you two different and much better pillow options providing both soft and firm pillows on every bed. We at the property level embrace this change. Breakfast, you may have just caught a little late, I can only assume shortly after 9:00am, as she was pulling the breakfast items. We serve one of the best complimentary breakfasts on the market, and offers tons of varieties, Two kings of waffles, Scrambled Eggs, sausage, biscuits, gravy, two kinds of juice, 3 kinds of coffee, 3 kinds of cereal, yogurt, hard boiled eggs, 3 kinds of whole fresh fruit, and various breads and pastries. I will work with the breakfast attendant and make sure that these things are being and staying stocked. We do have a few maintenance needs and could use some TLC, which we will receive in the nearing future as we will be soon doing an entire facility remodel, new paint our side and in, new flooring, new beds and furniture, new decor, and new service programs aimed at bringing you the money value for you money. However I do want to sincerely apologize for the few things in your room that were not quite right. We can got to be better then that. You have my commitment, We will be better then that moving forward.

Reviewed March 24, 2013

I have stayed at this property numerous times over the last 8 or so years. What you get for the value makes this a great place to stay. It is tucked into an odd corner of N. Beltline Rd and Hwy 80 that make it kind of hard to find. That likely helps travelers get a low rate. There isn't anything really fancy about it but it's a good buy.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed March 20, 2013

We had a five day stay here. I can't say enough good things. The room was perfect. I loved the separate built in area for the microwave and refrigerator. It included a small sink, coffee maker and cabinets. I've never been on a room with that design before. I enjoy details of that nature. It beats the regular microwave balancing on top of the fridge that most places offer. The staff was amazing and so friendly. Sasha at the front desk went above and beyond and her enthusiasm was appreciated. Breakfast had a nice set up and was always replenished. 24 hour coffee was wonderful!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed February 7, 2013

Have I stayed in better? Yes. Have I stayed in worse - oh, yeah.
This fell on the upper end of the good side - but don't expect 1st class.

If you're driving South on Beltline look for the Kwik Kar Lube and Tune sign on your left.
It's larger than the Comfort Inn sign below it. It's before the light at the highway.
It was easier to turn in there, and go behind to find the Comfort Suites.

My room (121) is on the corner of the hallway for the back entrance, and it's in the back of the hotel on the left (when looking from the front). The room was a little noisy as new guests arrived through the back door, talked outside the window, or honked their door locks - but by 10/11pm I slept and didn't hear a sound. It may not be the best room if you have young children or are a light sleeper. Though it was super convenient to get morning coffee.

I was almost expecting the room to have more noise than it did. I didn't hear the noise of people checking in or the TV in the lobby, (and it was louder during breakfast hours), and I didn't hear people getting coffee or any noise like that, from the bed or the couch while I was getting ready in the morning. I could hear activity but not conversations from close to the door or while in front of the mirror - but it wasn't disturbing at all.

The room did smell a little stale at first, but turning up the fan, and it was great in no time. The scents didn't linger - AT ALL. I liked that the TV didn't have that stupid hotel menu thing on it every time I turned it on. The wi-fi connection got on-line very quickly and wasn't some annoying process. The speed was better than other hotel chains I've been in. Probably because the hotel is a smaller size, and simple layout.

The smaller property also more than likely attribute to the friendlier, and more patient staff. I appreciated that. At breakfast the staff seemed to recognize many of the (apparently) regular guests - and that's always a sign of a staff that appreciates their guests and strives to take care of them. They refreshed the coffee when it got empty, and did it fast.

All in all it was a good stay.

Room Tip: Rooms on the North and front (west) side of the hotel are probably quieter. South end rooms, are li...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed December 20, 2012

We have stayed at this hotel for 2 years now while traveling to Dallas for a sporting event. The handicap accessible room with two queens was very spacious; modern flat screen TV; comfort height toilet with grab bars. Breakfast with eggs, biscuits, gravy, waffles, cereal, etc was perfectly adequate.Very friendly staff at front desk. Level of lighting in all hotel rooms for my husband who is visually impaired seems more a problem now as no overhead fixtures and reduced bulb output in lamps. Would recommend this hotel if you are in the area.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 23, 2012

This wasn't the worst hotel I have ever stayed in but it was close. First when we pulled up the front desk person was standing outside the front doors smoking. When we got into the room it smelled stale and just bad. There was scuff marks all over the walls EVERYWHERE! What made me mad about that was that its not that hard to paint over scuff marks. The pillows are really small. Comfortable but REALLY small. The bed was nice though. When I went to take a shower though the water was ice cold. I ended up washing my hair in the sink. When i complained about it the next morning while checking out the lady at the front desk just said "oh I am so sorry, I will pass that along to my manager so we can get the water fixed" very bad experience all together

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Shawna S
Mathew D, Manager at Comfort Suites Mesquite, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2013

Shawna,

I want to apologize. I know its been nearly a year since your stay and subsequent review and I am ashamed. Social Media is becoming huge and we want to play a big part in it. Unfortunately I have had some struggles in getting caught up and linked in and interconnected with all of the various sites and places we are subject for review on and have recent increased my efforts and priority to be sure our guest's voices are heard. Choice Hotels has actually made recent strides in making this daunting task much easier and finally I am gaining some proficiency. Now to address your very informative review. First I'd like to say I am sorry for not being exactly what you expected and deserved during your stay. I would like to address the specifics of your observations and do my best to make a very belated amends. Since your stay I have removed the smoking area front the entrance, and met with my staff about making sure they are smoking in guest free zones designated for smoking. the room conditions were not acceptable by your account and I have made strides to improve our maintenance efforts, as well as ear marked the desperate need for repainting both interior and exterior. As belated as my response to your review is, my reaction has been steadfast and I think you will be really surprised to see the forward direction we have taken. Our reviews and ratings are improving and our guests are getting a better and more satisfactory stay. While I cant undo what we should have had right the first time, its your comments and guests like yourself that I can thank for helping us improve. I can only hope in this case someday I can return the favor and prove our value to you.