“Nice Management - Wonderful Experience”

Scottish Inn Merkel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Merkel
Reviewed February 9, 2011

I recently stayed at the Scottish Inn in Merkel and was pleasantly surprised by the amount of attention I received from the Management. The husband and wife in charge were two of the nicest people I have ever met. I was stranded in Merkel due to a snow storm, but from the time I stepped into the lobby, my mind was immediately at ease. I cannot stress enough how highly I would recommend this hotel to anybody.

Also, be sure to check out the adjoining cafe. Delicious, home-cooked food.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank alabamacrimsontide23

Reviewed February 7, 2011

We were stranded due to snow storm and found the Scottish Inns in Merkel, Tx. Staff were very courteous and made a difficult situation very comfortable and pleasant. Andy and his wife were exceptional hosts.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank kkrylee3
Reviewed February 4, 2011

I stayed at the Scottish Inn for one night on February 1st. I was stuck in Merkel because of the completely iced over roads and the owner of this place seemed genuinely concerned when I called ahead to secure a room. It was reasonably priced and they had juice and various snack cakes for breakfast. The people were nice and helpful and it was extremely convenient to get to off of the dangerous icy roads.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank ktsiel9008
Reviewed February 3, 2011

This Scottish Inn has wonderful hospitality and service. Andy at front desk gave us one of last avail rooms during ice storm. Good sized room, much larger than usu for a motel. Queen bed w couch, coffee table, desk, chair, kitchenette and still plenty of space to move around and place a portable crib for our toddler. Throughout room, sheets, kitchenette, bathroom, towels, all very clean. Brand new microwave, tv with cable. Heater was on in room to greet our arrival, a nice touch. Cozy fireplace in lobby and restaurant stayed open past close to make us dinner. Would recommend this friendly, family run place to anyone seeking accomodations between midland and abilene.

• Stayed: February 2011
1  Thank mary1138
Reviewed February 2, 2011

I got stranded in Merkle Texas during a snow storm. I was attempting to travel to Abilene and spend the night as a half-way point between Odessa and Dallas. Due to icy road conditions and miles of backed up traffic, I didn't even make it that far. I got about 13 miles from my hotel in Abilene and was forced to turn around and seek shelter elsewhere. Problem is, there is almost NOTHING between Odessa and the Dallas-Fort Worth area. And then i found Merkle. This town appears to have a population of 7, with a realy down home country vibe. Turns out that is the best thing to find in an emergency situation like the one I was in.

I found the Scottish Inn (which, I think is the ONLY motel in Merkle, Texas) and happened to snag the second-to-last room. I couldn't have been more pleased with the care and consideration of the owners. They are wonderful people who are truly invested in making your stay as enjoyable as possible.

Sure the accomodations don't seem to have been updated since the early 1980's, but you can tell these folks have put a lot of effort into sprucing the place up as much as possible. The TV was an old, somewhat dilapidated Sharp CRT, but it had cable! The room was old, but very clean and comfortable. The coffe maker worked beautifully in the morning and the heater kept my from freezing to death.

I also visited the attached restaurant (again, pretty much my only option due to the iced over roads), which was like eating in a friend's country kitchen. The servers were exceptionally friendly and the food was perfectly good.

Overall, this is a value motel that I never would have stopped at given the choice, but lo and behold, the weather had different plans for me. In the end I'm glad I did too. A large room with a king size bed was only $57 including tax, and the overall quality of the stay was exceptional.

If you don't require a name brand hotel --or funiture/decorations from this decade-- then this hotel is a wonderful choice.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed September 16, 2007

The hotel was very clean and well cared for. The bed was excellent and the room was neat and organized. It was not bad for the price and the time we stayed there. I would recommend it to anyone that needs a place to stop in over night.

Stayed: June 2006

Been to Scottish Inn Merkel? Share your experiences!