“Don't judge a book by it's cover”

Scottish Inn Merkel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Merkel
Reviewed May 13, 2013

I stayed at the Scottish Inn the weekend of college graduations in Abilene. (More about graduation later) When we first pulled into the parking lot, I wondered if I was in the right place after reading all of the good reviews. I went in and was greeted by the very friendly owners who booked my mom and I in adjoining rooms, which was nice. They were very friendly and accommodating. When we got to the rooms, we found rooms that weren't fancy, but very clean. Beds were very comfy, too. Only negative about the stay there is that their "mini - continental" breakfast was just tiny sweet rolls and apples. There is an attached restaurant, but we didn't try it - menu ran mostly to heavier breakfast food.
Back to graduation time in Abilene: All three universities (ACU, Hardin-Simmons & McMurray) hold their graduations on the same day!! If, by chance you are reading this and you have a student that will be a Senior or is a Senior at one of these schools - book your room now! Book it at the Scottish Inn or book it in town, but don't wait until April like I did!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank LCU-ACUMom
There are newer reviews for Scottish Inn Merkel

Reviewed March 25, 2013

The owners are very friendly & accommodating. Rooms are nice size, comfy, very clean, well-appointed, & very reasonably priced. The restaurant next door had a great breakfast, low-priced, with very good service. This is a small town with the wonderful small town, very friendly atmosphere promoted by these owners, so common in Texas.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank KAREN L
Reviewed August 16, 2012

This was the best sleep I have had in months. It was clean, comforable, cozy, Quaint, & like hom! Before my head hit the pillow I was fast asleep, & the couple Anydy & Elizabeth Danilowski were as sweet as Honey. Righ now the adjoining Restaurant is closed, however they are looking for someone to open it again. It is the perfect place to stay if you go to Dallas or Arlington on you way home to Odessa, Midland, or Big Spring & you just cant drive one more mile. 9800 I-20 West ph is 847-401-4770 & fax is 325-928-5418. This Hotel is worth checking out. the price is very resonable too @ $51.75 including tax.!

Room Tip: It was all quiete and very accomadating I wasnt there in the heat of the day so Im not sure about t...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank BeverlyRains-Negrete
Reviewed August 11, 2012

I have family that lives in the Abilene area so me and my wife make the trip there at least twice a year. We discovered this place about 3 years ago and have stayed there every time since. The rooms are VERY REASONABLY priced, the staff has always been friendly to me and my wife, and the rooms are comfy. It is what it is, it's a small town motel, if you want a 5 star motel go to dallas, if you want a nice clean room with good service and a good price this is the place.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank blundgren
Reviewed May 13, 2012 via mobile

Deferred maintenance evident; apparent water and other damage but clean. Very comfortable king bed w/ good sheets. In-wall AC/heat controls worn off, but unit functioning well. Good shower with well-placed sturdy grab bar. Owned by a friendly and helpful Polish couple. Flat screen TV in lobby is okay but very poor picture on room CRT. Overall we expect more for $65 + 15% tax. The continental breakfast could be omitted. There is an adjacent restaurant serving an excellent hot breakfast.

• Stayed: May 2012
3  Thank Vernelle
Reviewed March 7, 2012

Clean rooms at a decent price and a friendly owner. Nice to have a restaurant adjoining the motel too. A very handy stopover point.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank thetravellingoctopus
Reviewed February 2, 2012

We stopped at the Scottish Inn just west of Abilene on I-20 and we couldn't have chosen a better place to stop. The rooms were large, clean and very reasonably priced and even had a swimming pool. The on-site restaurant provided us with a great breakfast and dinner without having to go back on the road. Andy and Elizabeth were very gracious hosts and we will stop ther whenever we are driving through.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Don A
Also consider these accommodations in or near Merkel
Best Western Plus Sweetwater Inn & Suites
#28 of 37 in Abilene
Studio 6 Sweetwater
Studio 6 Sweetwater
#7 of 11 in Sweetwater

Been to Scottish Inn Merkel? Share your experiences!