“Not so Good”

Dining options: Lunch, Seating, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Clifton, Texas
“Not so Good”
Reviewed March 4, 2014

Recently went there for Friday night catfish and was disappointed. For the same price I could have had a much better meal. Styrofoam dishes and plastic utensils don't do much for me. Credit cards are not accepted.

Visited February 2014
1 Thank WilliamR626
firedupinc, Owner at Morgan Street Burgers, responded to this review, July 26, 2015
William is just wrong and I have seen the restaurants that he likes - they serve frozen junk. So, I guess that is what William likes - frozen junk. Our catfish is breaded when you order it and not a minute before. We offer all you can eat fish with hush puppies, hand cut fries, balsamic laced cole slaw, pinto beans and your choice of cocktail or tartar or you can have each. All you can eat for 9.99! And all from scratch - just like grandma did it - I use her age old recipe. We do serve on styro foam and we do use plastic utensils because our restaurant doesn't have a dish room to wash a lot of glassware. Big deal. Grady Spears who is a celebrity chef and a friend has served on paper, plastic and whatever else cause that's how we do it in Texas. We worry about the food and not the vehicle. Our fish is outstanding and we usually sell out every Friday. Also, we do not take credit cards and never will. They weren't available in this country until around 1950 and that's about the time we started to decline. My grandma always told me if you can't pay cash - you can't afford it! She was a smart lady and I live by her advice. Come on down and try our secret recipe fish on Fridays and if you don't like it - I'll buy your dinner for you. Also, look for our featured wild game burgers - right now it's Elk. Sorry William - not for you. It's just to fresh and delicious. Thank y'all and we will see you soon.

“My Goodness...now THAT's a burger!”
Reviewed February 21, 2014

I had heard about how unusually good the burgers and fries are at Morgan Street Burgers, so on my day off, I made the nice 40 mile drive to Meridian to see what the fuss was all about. The cafe looks like it must have been a Dairy Queen or something at one time, but now it is home to the best burger I've had in Central Texas. Toasted cheddar/jalapeno bun, SUPER fresh/flavorful beef...that would have been enough, but I also had sauteed mushrooms and cheddar cheese on mine, and it was just flat great. So were the hand cut fries (just like my Mom's). I was tempted to try a chocolate malt, but for calorie reasons, I decided to pass it up this time.

So here's my perspective. I've rarely had what I would call a BAD hamburger, but frankly most burgers taste pretty much the same. Good, but sort of same-old-same-old. These are different. They are memorable. From where I'm sitting Morgan Street Burgers is the jewel in the crown of a great little town.

• Visited February 2014