“very Disappointing !!!”

Club Med Valmorel
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Valmorel
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed August 26, 2013

We were at Club Med Val Morel within the last week, three families with five children.
I understand why most French speakers give it high marks here, but I do not understand how those who do not speak French manage to get there when most of the staff do not understand a word of English or do not speak or do not want. Some of them, especially the reception really not nice and not help and pouts every request.

Number of activities in relation to other clubs is low. If children do not join the mini club just nothing to do there. The place is very suitable for skiing because of its location but all the activity around the summer is not suitable for children except on nature hikes and park ropes. If you want to do something beyond it like a trip mounted on jeeps etc you have to pay a lot. Therefore often have to travel to cities like Chamonix or Annecy. Rides in the 300 Euros!! With a taxi driver claimed Club Med familiar places and explain on the way. He does not explain, is short on time, he did not understand English and there is no clue where to go if not for the GPS.
Average food at club level and below. So it must feed 800 people and the food is very industrial and not very fresh. The breakfast/dinner room is not very clean. Maybe just the beginning before people enter.
The hotel itself is beautiful, modern decor but the rooms are still relatively small. My water flow was weak but maybe it's just me. buy the way, the pool is FROZEN !!
Registration activities like bike or hike is one day before the trip and for an hour and a half making huge queues have dense. Hotel general masses and very very noisy.
One of the greatest scandals - They asking 20 euros to get a code to activate wifi and it did not work!! About five minutes he logged off and it is connected to a very poor absorption. When it comes to reception to complain that they admit that this is so but still charge money! I wont come there again.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank baco76
Write a ReviewReviews (1,914)

Reviewed August 22, 2013

We enjoyed every moment at the club med val morel. The staff were amazing and the service over the top. From the welcoming staff (thanx to wonderful Pascal), to the lounge waitresses, the spacious luxury suite (thanx to the cleaning staff- and especially Avi who made our beds and room so cozy every day) and the terrific, deliciuos (though fattening...) food. Many thanx to John the kitchen cheff who helped me so much with my food allergies and made great efforts to prepare me special food dishes. Together with all the kitchen staff who helped me each meal. The spa was also relaxing thogh quite expensive. The activities in the kids' clubs were really nice too. I must emphesize my kids dont speak English nor French and they all still had a great time at the petite club and the minickub activities, the GOs of these groups are so helpfull and my youngest daughter (3 years) got attached to Manu. My son (6 yrs) really liked Mo and another GO who was so nice and talked several words in Hebrew just to make my son feel familiar. The performances every night were really good and professional with great dancing, costumes, music, achrobatica. Dont ever believe a bad word you hear or read about this hotel. It is suited for spoiled upper class families who want a luxury vacation and this hotel is perfect for that!! I highly recommend this hotel for families with children.

Room Tip: 5 tridents floor was amazing
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 10, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the club med for a week and it was a real pleaser. We r going to the mountains every year for the last 7 years and the service and rooms never been better. It's a new village and we stayed at the 5 star level so everything was better. The rooms bigger , the service is over the top, we were treated like kings. What a pleaser. Very recommended!

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed July 22, 2013

I'm 13, I did most activities with the teen club "Passworld" it was amazing, all the G.Os(gentils organisateurs) were perfect, realy kind and funny, I had the best time and enjoyed it alot, I met lots of people with the help of the G.Os(gentils organisateurs) of the passworld they were perfect and I got realy attached to them, hope to see everybody next year!!

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Charlottem26
Reviewed July 20, 2013

Just back from a truly relaxing week at Club Med Valmorel. It's a lovely hotel, in breathtaking surroundings, which we explored thanks to the fantastic multilingual mountain guides - loads of choice of different hikes to take, at varying levels of difficulty and the choice of full-day/half-day etc. Our kids really enjoyed the Mini Club and the childrens' hikes, especially the Family Hike where we all learnt a lot about the flora and fauna of this part of the Alps. Our connecting rooms were cleverly designed and the beds were super-comfortable. The standard of the food was also really spectacular and we were spoilt rotten by the whole experience.

Huge thanks to the whole Mini Club team - with a special mention to Alice, Mo, Matthew, Davy, Eloi, Justine and Octavio. Our kids had a really exceptional time, and it allowed us to really enjoy our 'time off', including the beautiful spa (thank you Eleonore and Marie!).

My only criticism would be of the time it took to get served in the speciality restaurant : either speed up when there are so many young children early in the evening, or change it to an adults-only restaurants where diners can take their time and enjoy the atmosphere. Only a tiny quibble in what was a really lovely week.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 16, 2013

Club med is a well oiled machine. It caters for all ages and provides a great way to unwind without having to worry about the day-to-day tasks of travelling i.e. Money, Food and entertainment.

THE SKIING:
Ski-in-ski out is a winner, in any resort and club med have build a phenomenal facility that allows you to ski in when you need to take a break or go for a massage.The entrance could be a bit challenging for beginners, but there are two ways: ski-in ( 5 min) or take the ski lift and the bus (45min)
The skiing equipment is of a top quality and their policy of exchange is both flexible and of a high standard. This comes in handy when you want to switch between disciplines.

THE INSTRUCTORS:
Another win for Club Med and Valmorel, as the quality of the instructors are of high standard and are regulated by the French Skiing Authorities.

THE ROOMS:
Clean, with themed interior design. They are a little cramped,but you not in a ski lodge to stay in your room. There is a 5 star option, however this could seclude you from the fun and entertainment.

TIMES:
I found the skiing started a little later that other skiing regions (US, Austria and Switzerland) @ 9am.
The pool was also not open until 9am, and if you trying to get a quite swim in during the school holidays, forget about it.

THE FOOD:
As much as Club Med does try and change the themes of each room, the food seems to become very repetitive and starts tasting "the same". I have asked other regular Club Med visitors and they have agreed that this is the norm.
The Bar and Coffee service (Nespresso) is however AMAZING, and the best part of this Valmorel Club Med.

OVERALL:
A recommended experience for all levels of skiers. Try not go during French school holidays if possible. If with Children from 8 up they will have a blast!

Room Tip: Try not stay above the extraction to the restaurant. Slope Facing you should be fine.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank King_Size8888
Reviewed July 4, 2013

We arrived on the opening day to a warm welcome from the GO team. The resort was lovely and offers everything you could wish for whether you are looking for an energetic, activity holiday or a relaxing week just recharging your batteries. Talking of which, I foolishly forgot my mobile charger which would have caused a big problem for me but a quick word with the Manager Gilles, and the problem was solved by one of his team - thank you Benjamin! Everything flows like clockwork to make your stay as enjoyable as possible and nothing seems to be too much trouble for the young and enthusiastic team of GOs. The food was very good and the entertainment light hearted and fun. The walking is well organised and colour coded to enable everyone to participate at some level. Well informed guides are happy to share their knowledge and walks are available either half day or full day. A free bus regularly travels between the resort and the small hamlet nearby should you wish to browse in the few shops there. I would like to make the point that neither my husband or I speak French but at no time did we feel isolated or find that the language barrier inhibited the enjoyment of our holiday. All of the staff we met at the resort, without exception, made us feel welcome. The only downside was experienced during the journey from the resort back to Geneva airport. Whilst the taxi driver on the incoming journey was extremely nice and we enjoyed the lovely drive to the resort, the return trip back to the airport was a nightmare - I have never been so frightened in my life. The driver obviously felt that designated speed limits did not apply to him and that no one should be allowed to pass him on the road - the only time he slowed down was where he had no choice due to border crossing or roundabouts - completely irresponsible. On arrival at Geneva he seemed surprised that we had not enjoyed the journey! Apart from that hiccup, a lovely week in a great resort. I will definitely recommend it to friends and family. Thank you Club Med team!

Room Tip: We were on the second floor and found it very quiet
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Valmorel
Hotel du Bourg
Pierre & Vacances Premium Residence Arc 1950 Le Village
Le Lac Bleu 1650
Le Lac Bleu 1650
#1 of 8 in Saint Francois Longchamp

Been to Club Med Valmorel? Share your experiences!