“Great Location - but hotel has seen better days years ago.”
Review of Hotel L'Aigle

Hotel L'Aigle
Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in Valmeinier
Reviewed April 11, 2010

You really can't fault the location of this hotel (see pic), it is seconds from the slopes, and the staff are very friendly.
It's a slightly odd place though, sort of a reverse 18-30 resort, where the staff are all between 18 and 30 and none of the guests are.
It's a place of contradictions and could be perfectly fine with a bit of attention to detail:
The rooms are spacious but there was a thick layer of dust on everything. The bathroom was, again, large enough, but the walls (wallpaper in a bathroom?) were covered in mould (see pic). The shower head was powerful and the water was hot (if you got in on time) but the showerhead was broken so it sprayed water all over the bathroom, which probably explains the mould and damp smell which never went away.
Breakfast was lovely, loads of fresh croissants and pain au chocolat, lovely scrambled eggs, bacon bits, mushrooms, the works. There is cereal but it's the cheap and nasty kind and it you want fresh coffee, bring your own because the liqiud dispensed by the coffee machine isn't coffee - I can only describe it as some kind of poison.
My main gripe would have to be the food at dinner:
About half of the main courses were fine but, seriously, HOW, if the meals are at the same time every night, is it still possible to overcook things. There was a soup that was inedible because a pepper pot had been upended into it, a lasagna whose top layer was burnt to a roack-hard crust, and 'bruchetta' that were tiny rock hard lumps with a few tiny wipes of tomato. There is no excuse for food that does not taste right being allowed to leave the kitchen.
I suppose that when you're on your gap year working in the kitchens/cleaning, your day job is just an unwelcome distraction from skiing and lounging in the hot tub every night, (the same hot tub which was apparently out of order all week for guests, according to a sign at reception).
There was adequate space in the boot room, but it was damp and cold and our boots never properly dried out. Bring a padlock for the ski lockers, and your own towels if you don't want to be charged for fresh ones. And a duster. And coffee. In fact, just get a self-catering appartment, it would be much better value.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with friends

Reviewed March 20, 2010

what a warm welcome we received at this hotel although only two star the staff more than make up for this, the room was fine, clean bedding and towels, the food very filling and tasty and the format of one of the staff heading your table is a lovelly informal idea. the apres ski very entertaining and we won the quiz! the sking was totally addictive and i would recommend having an english speaking instuctor if you need one my guy was called Bernard a true gent and great instructor.We did however fly into Geneva and pick up the transfer as we live near the airport.

• Stayed: February 2010
Reviewed February 24, 2010

You get what you pay for. 'Coaches comfortable. Location good - ski in/ski out. Food okay, portions good. Hot water tends to run out after skiing. Jacuzzi and sauna great after long day on slopes. All staff friendly and helpful. My skiing level is intermediate and the variety of skiing was perfect for me.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 6, 2010

We were a little worried about some reviews we read about the hotel, the food and the security of storage for skis. Well the only thing that let the trip down was the journey there with snow coach was uncomfortable don't think we got the coach that we booked. the hotel was good clean and staff went out of their way to help, food was good. The resort is the smallest we have been to but nothing wrong with that we were there to ski not shop. i would say take a small pad lock with you to lock the locker the skis stay in. all in all it was a fun filled 10 days and we would go back.

• Stayed: January 2010
Reviewed January 15, 2010

Just got back from a short break with Snowcoach. First time I've travelled by coach for 15 or so years and I won't be rushing to do it again. I didn't think the coach was up to scratch, toilet was full after 30 mins, and the Video player didn't work. Also the aircon was broken and kept on blowing cold air through a crack in the overhead panel and onto my neck, not good for 18 or so hours . I arranged my own flight back from Chambery (as recommended as being nearest airport on Valmeiniers website). Unfortunately there were no buses running on the Wednesday of my flight so it took a 50EU taxi ride down to St Michel train station. Worth bearing in mind if you plan to fly back.
The hotel itself was ok, rooms were extremely basic and dated, but dry and comfortable. The food in the Hotel was generally quite good and tasty, although the portion sizes were small. Most nights I could have eaten double what I was given. The free wine with the meal helps, and the friendly Snowcoach staff who take it in turns serving different tables on different nights, they were all pretty good. Valmeinier 1800 itself is a nice resort, quite compact with all of the restaurants, bars, hotels, shops, and ski hire places all within 2 or 3 mins or so walk. There is an ice rink, a bowling alley and a cinema there too. The Spar is a reasonably good convenience store, and there are nice little bakeries scattered around. In the cafes and bars, I have to say, the prices were astronomical in my opinion. Large (pint) beers where around 6.5-7EU.... a portion of frites, 3.5EU (about the same size as a McDonalds Large portion). Coca Cola... 3-4EU for a can!!! A cheese and Ham sandwich would be around 6EU also, so no cheap snacks. The skiing, well I was impressed by the network of runs. There is an excellent choice of Green & Blue runs for the less confident skiers like myself. We were able to ski for miles over to Valloire for lunch, and then back before 3pm, so this made for an interesting day. There are some excellent more testing runs also for those who like the Reds and Blacks. Something for everyone me thinks. May never return to this resort due to the long coach Journey, or poor transport links, however I did enjoy my break and cannot really fault the network of pistes.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 5, 2010

We arrive with snowcoach on 29th December. The rooms are basic but fine. The food was great and had plenty. More alcohol than anyone could manage provided if wanted. Staff were great. Very friendly and did their best with whatever issues we had. Location one of the best in the resort. I cant beleive the way some people have moaned about it. For the money you pay I thought it was great value. If your hotel is much much more important than your skiing, your doing the wrong thing. Oh, and go and pay double the price for what your after.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank timpsyb
Reviewed February 8, 2009

we arrived on january 3rd and that was when everything started to go wrong. first of all our skis was stolen from outside the hotel, then our lift passes didnt work so we ended up getting about 2 hours of skiing in the first day, after skiing our food was terrible then we all went to bed then we was woken up in the middle of the night because of steam coming out of the boiler.
then the next day we had to wait until the afternoon so my nephew could go ski school so we couldnt ski until the afternoon, then after skiing there was no hot tub , the food was terrible again, then there was no hot water, then finally on the last day the hot water actually worked but the food was still terrible and we all had to wait around until the afternoon to ski and none of the insturctors could really talk english overall i think the holiday was a holiday from hell and i would never advise anyone to go there.

Stayed: January 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank jbrind
Also consider these accommodations in or near Valmeinier
Residence Les Hauts de Valmeinier
Hotel Aiguille Noire
#5 of 14 in Valloire
Hotel Les Melezes
Grand Hotel de Valloire et du Galibier

Been to Hotel L'Aigle? Share your experiences!