“Cheap and cheerful, all you need with no frills.”
Review of Hotel L'Aigle

Hotel L'Aigle
Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Valmeinier
Sussex
“Cheap and cheerful, all you need with no frills.”
Reviewed February 24, 2010

You get what you pay for. 'Coaches comfortable. Location good - ski in/ski out. Food okay, portions good. Hot water tends to run out after skiing. Jacuzzi and sauna great after long day on slopes. All staff friendly and helpful. My skiing level is intermediate and the variety of skiing was perfect for me.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
cheshire, england
Reviewed February 6, 2010

We were a little worried about some reviews we read about the hotel, the food and the security of storage for skis. Well the only thing that let the trip down was the journey there with snow coach was uncomfortable don't think we got the coach that we booked. the hotel was good clean and staff went out of their way to help, food was good. The resort is the smallest we have been to but nothing wrong with that we were there to ski not shop. i would say take a small pad lock with you to lock the locker the skis stay in. all in all it was a fun filled 10 days and we would go back.

• Stayed January 2010
Tamworth
Reviewed January 15, 2010

Just got back from a short break with Snowcoach. First time I've travelled by coach for 15 or so years and I won't be rushing to do it again. I didn't think the coach was up to scratch, toilet was full after 30 mins, and the Video player didn't work. Also the aircon was broken and kept on blowing cold air through a crack in the overhead panel and onto my neck, not good for 18 or so hours . I arranged my own flight back from Chambery (as recommended as being nearest airport on Valmeiniers website). Unfortunately there were no buses running on the Wednesday of my flight so it took a 50EU taxi ride down to St Michel train station. Worth bearing in mind if you plan to fly back.
The hotel itself was ok, rooms were extremely basic and dated, but dry and comfortable. The food in the Hotel was generally quite good and tasty, although the portion sizes were small. Most nights I could have eaten double what I was given. The free wine with the meal helps, and the friendly Snowcoach staff who take it in turns serving different tables on different nights, they were all pretty good. Valmeinier 1800 itself is a nice resort, quite compact with all of the restaurants, bars, hotels, shops, and ski hire places all within 2 or 3 mins or so walk. There is an ice rink, a bowling alley and a cinema there too. The Spar is a reasonably good convenience store, and there are nice little bakeries scattered around. In the cafes and bars, I have to say, the prices were astronomical in my opinion. Large (pint) beers where around 6.5-7EU.... a portion of frites, 3.5EU (about the same size as a McDonalds Large portion). Coca Cola... 3-4EU for a can!!! A cheese and Ham sandwich would be around 6EU also, so no cheap snacks. The skiing, well I was impressed by the network of runs. There is an excellent choice of Green & Blue runs for the less confident skiers like myself. We were able to ski for miles over to Valloire for lunch, and then back before 3pm, so this made for an interesting day. There are some excellent more testing runs also for those who like the Reds and Blacks. Something for everyone me thinks. May never return to this resort due to the long coach Journey, or poor transport links, however I did enjoy my break and cannot really fault the network of pistes.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with friends
London
Reviewed January 5, 2010

We arrive with snowcoach on 29th December. The rooms are basic but fine. The food was great and had plenty. More alcohol than anyone could manage provided if wanted. Staff were great. Very friendly and did their best with whatever issues we had. Location one of the best in the resort. I cant beleive the way some people have moaned about it. For the money you pay I thought it was great value. If your hotel is much much more important than your skiing, your doing the wrong thing. Oh, and go and pay double the price for what your after.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank timpsyb
london
Reviewed February 8, 2009

we arrived on january 3rd and that was when everything started to go wrong. first of all our skis was stolen from outside the hotel, then our lift passes didnt work so we ended up getting about 2 hours of skiing in the first day, after skiing our food was terrible then we all went to bed then we was woken up in the middle of the night because of steam coming out of the boiler.
then the next day we had to wait until the afternoon so my nephew could go ski school so we couldnt ski until the afternoon, then after skiing there was no hot tub , the food was terrible again, then there was no hot water, then finally on the last day the hot water actually worked but the food was still terrible and we all had to wait around until the afternoon to ski and none of the insturctors could really talk english overall i think the holiday was a holiday from hell and i would never advise anyone to go there.

Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank jbrind
Darlington
Reviewed March 11, 2008

Just back from a fab 8 day ski trip to Valmeinier. Travelled with SnowCoach to Hotel L'Aigle from Watford. My first time going skiing by coach and have to say would do it again! Coach was comfy - they give you blankets and good leg room (my fiance is 6'3" and had no complaints). I would suggest you take a pillow with you for the journey.

The resort is brilliant - 2 great ski areas and its not horrendously busy. Valmeinier is a very French orientated resort and quiet at night so be sure this is what you're looking for!

In terms of pubs - would recommend No Comment - friendly staff and has nice atmosphere.

The hotel itself was clean and good value. The staff were really helpful and the food was really good. The wine flowed with choices of red, white or rose. They accommodated my wheat & dairy free diet no probs and veggies got good tucker too.

The hot tub is a great touch after a hard day on the piste! Great location for the slopes as well - only about 100m from the main ski area.

Would recommend, but skiing maybe not great for beginners as lots of narrow runs - including the greens!

• Liked — The location for the slopes, the hot tub & the craic with the staff
  • Disliked — bathrooms need renovation
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Linchops
St Albans
Reviewed January 7, 2008

Visited Valmeinier first week of Jan 2008.

Travelled with Snowcoach. In concept a great idea - leave PM and arrive next day for start of skiing. Leave on last day after skiing has finished. In practice the journey out was awful, not helped by a diversion to Geneva to met another coach. Coach itself was OK but impossible to get comfortable and my 14 year old who can sleep ( I thought) anywhere didn't get a wink of sleep. Top tip - take a pillow. Or two. Another is to take a sea sickness pill I am told. But all tiredness disappeared when presented with a glorious, uncrowded, snow-covered piste first thing in the morning!

Trip back was better as we were exhausted after a full day's skiing. Even then though my sleep was fitful. Coach drivers were generally very welcoming and cheerful and made the journey as smooth as it could be.

Once we got to Hotel L'Aigle we got very quickly on the the slopes. Top tip here is to pack ski socks on top of bag and head for boot room immediately if hiring (before checking in or anything else.) In this way we avoided a 2.5 hour queue that developed and spoiled the first day for some others.

The hotel is basic. We were quite lucky - two of us in a three bed room with reasonable en-suite and lots of storage room.

Some friends had a leaking cistern which flooded their room throughout their stay! They had to wear boots to bed, and the hotel seemed unable to fix the leak.

In fact the hotel is really let down badly by inexperienced, poorly trained staff. Not their fault - they get pocket money, free accommodation and food and a lift pass for the season. But they often didn't seem to have a clue what was going on. The total chaos that ensued on the return when the hotel's list of passengers for coaches didn't tally with those of the drivers' was of Fawlty Towers proportions - utterly laughable but deeply frustrating. In the end I had to offer the manager an idea for a way of communicating with the increasingly frustrated passengers which seemed to help. He seemed sadly resigned and, to his credit, suitably embarrassed.

But I think overall it's probably the lack of head office support / training that causes the issue. The staff did try hard and were cheerful! they need at least one person on site with real experience.

Food was mediocre. My son is a veggie so most stuff came with a pile of stodgy rice. Also hadn't registered with the chef that food made with animal rennet was not veggie. Lots of bread and wine though, and generally filled you up.

Dining arrangements were haphazard. Luckily we quickly made friends with some other families and had a good group for our table. But the scrum to get to a table for your group was hilarious! Again a little forethought from the management would sort out this unseemly and totally unnecessary battleground. Top tip here, send your streetwise 7 year old to get to the front and leap ahead of the crowd when the barriers come down. Or get your oldest son/daugher to flirt madly with a member of staff.

Lounge area quite comfortable is a little overcrowded - annoying if you are asked to leave your dinner table 15 mins after the meal and then can't get a seat in the lounge (and aren't allowed to finish the bottle of wine that came with your meal which seemed a little petty).

So overall for Snowcoach and Hotel L'Aigle - it's cheap and cheerful. Don't expect any frills, but generally they were smiling and positive, and according to some others we spoke to had actually gone out of their way to help where circumstances for some passengers had become difficult - arranging separate transfers to airports etc. Despite the moans about the journey and hotel above, I really liked them!

Valmeinier iteslf? It's a great place - well groomed pistes, excellent lifts and real variety across the three hills to Valloire.

I'm a pretty bad skier and found some of the piste gradings to be wayward - some of the red runs are much easier for people like me than the thin and often busier 'greens'. But don't too fooled because other red runs are truly terrifying for the occasional skier, especially off the top of Crey de Quart! But for all the oterhs in my party who were better than I, they were full of praise. Takes a degree in logistical analysis to work out how to use the lifts and runs to get to where you want to go, but worth going as far afield as you can.

There's not much to do if you don't want to ski, but it's a small, friendly, reasonably priced and not overly dominated by one nationality. The altitude can make some of your dreams quite weird though as we all reported strange nocturnal visions. Well, that or the wine...

• Liked — Position
  • Disliked — Inexperienced staff
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
3 Thank BestDreamcatcher
Also consider these accommodations in or near Valmeinier
Residence Les Hauts de Valmeinier
VVF Villages "Les Islettes"
VVF Villages "Les Islettes"
#3 of 14 in Valmeinier
Hotel Beausoleil
Hotel Beausoleil
#3 of 4 in Fontcouverte-la-Toussuire
Residence Odalys Les Lumieres de Neige

Been to Hotel L'Aigle? Share your experiences!