“Relaxing”
Review of Hotel Val d'Este

Hotel Val d'Este
Reviewed September 15, 2012

We spent three days at the hotel which we enjoyed very much. our room was in an annexe at the back of the hotel and was very quiet. The bathroom was large and the bedroom quite a good size. I found my bed a bit sunken in the middle but slept very well; The breakfast was excellent with everything you could think of to eat and you ate it in a lovely room overlooking the street in the heart of the town. Wonderful walks from the hotel. Didn't touch the car at all during our stay. The public car park was free which is very unusual these days. The restaurant was extremely good and we ate very well.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed September 4, 2012

This was our first trip to this area and we were delighted with our choice of hotel which was in the centre of the village, so very convenient for bars, restaurants , shops, etc.. The Montinis could not have been more helpful and everything about the hotel was fine. We had a room at the back with wonderful views over the mountains - this was very comfortable and the en suite bathroom was large with constant hot water. The continental breakfast was amazing with so much choice which made it excellent value. This was a summer holiday and the area offers so many activities for this time of year as well as for winter sports. We look forward to returning to St. Gervais and the Hotel Val d'Este.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 21, 2012

Although we have visited St Gervais a number of times, this is the first time we have stayed at the Val D'Este and were delighted with this charming little hotel. Having read some of the other reviews, we felt compelled to give this hotel the praise it deserves and I honestly don't know how some of the other guests could rate this hotel so poorly. The hotel is located right in the centre of the small town of St Gervais & is within easy reach of everything. We booked directly with the hotel without any problem and the owners could not have been more helpful or accommodating.

We had a room at the back of the hotel with a beautiful view overlooking Mont Joly. The room was quiet, charming, spacious, warm and clean with plenty of hot water on tap - just what's required after a hard day's ski-ing!

Breakfast was a plentiful continental affair with lots of choice including ham, cheese, eggs, bread, crossiants & pastries, juice, coffee, tea etc and although it was extra - we knew this at the time of booking.

We met another group of guys ski-ing who have been coming back to this hotel for over 10 years, which tells you all you need to know about this place.

This little hotel belies its official rating and we'd have no hesitation in recommending this hotel and we're already looking forward to returning next year.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back of the hotel are quieter.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 10, 2011

This is a litttle gem of a central town hotel whose owners go out of their way to make you welcome. Only 12 mins walk to the ski gondola (or take the free bus 100m outside) we spent a very happy 5 nights here during our ski break in the quiet St Gervais ski area. Much better than the busier and more expensive Megeve and with access to the same pistes. The hotel is kept spotlessly clean, is very warm and provides the best breakfast we have had in many holidays in France. After despairing of finding somewhere as good as this, based on Tripadvisor reviews and Booking.com availability, we turned up without a booking and, at 66 euros per room, we believe this hotel gives exceptional value for money. We will definitely return.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 23, 2010

On the date of our arrival we were treated very cold and told that we were 1hour ahead and should go back at around 1:30 till 2.
The first 2 days we did not have an internet access or WI-Fi connection that we needed and were told that it's the room that we were in the problem. After 2 days we had to extend our staying they wanted to raise the price much higher and we finally came to a mid-way agreement and changing our room.
In the new room we did not have access either and were waiting for some important news. Well, when in the evening I went down stairs to ask what could I do, as there was another computer in the common room with a TV, not only we could use that, more than that I was offended by the attitude of the owner a man who do not seems like to work or respond to anyone anymore, that it's something to do with my lap-top and he can not do anything about it. Reminding that we were in another hotel in the area a week prior to that and no issue.
Then at 10:15 pm we had a call from Canada that we were desperatly waiting for, he did not connect and told the caller that the hotel was closed and they do not have us there.
Following day he told us that they do not have anyone working for them so he and his partner divide the tasks and responding the phone after 10pm is not possible. The following night I received a call from my mother few times who was trying to reach me at around 9pm and he kept hanging on her. My sister tried also. When I realised and went down to say that I was expecting a call and if he could connect he replied that it's not possible he does not know how to connect and it's not working and my family should call me on my personal mobile. Then when I insisted that it's not possible, he said I could stand next to the entrance door and if they call again tell them that I can not receive call there. And I talked to my family for 5 minutes and then they told me to go to another room that was breakfast room and there were a family kind of dispute there among themsleves.
Afterall we gave up and left the hotle a day ahead when we wanted to go sking and the end of our trip was ended to a mess and my family were mistreated if they tried to reach us, and the call from Canada was not connected and no internet service.
I was happy that I choose not to have breakfast there and stayed the minimum time in the room. At night it was very noisy also.
Well you judge it how we felt where we wanted to have a holiday in peace! That day we chose to leave searching for another place to stay again and lost a lot of time on that and had to drive back to Lyon where we where flying back finally to the UK.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank TripexperienceNRL
Reviewed February 21, 2010

In a good central location for the Village, alongside shops, restaurants, tourist info. bureau, bank, church,ski hire shop, Spar mini supermarket - all walkable. Free ski shuttle bus within 3 minute walk (approx. 10/20 mins, see timetable). Ski locker side of hotel. Free use of internet, use of small lounge until 9pm. Help yourself buffet breakfast, bread, cheese, eggs, fruit, cereals, yoghurt, coffee. OK to bring in to lounge take away Pizza, but no food allowed in room. Gentleman speaks English, Lady cheerful, speaks French. Room/hotel typical of ski hotel ,clean, comfortable, lived in, not contemporary. Thermostat powerful radiators, clean linen and towels. Nice mountain view from our room. Great Tram that goes slowly up the mountain to Belle Vue. Taxi > Hotel approx. 15E to La Fayett Station. We will stay there again.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 6, 2009

We stayed at the Val D'Este for three nights in early September 2009. The room was small but very "alpine" and charming, the location could not be better, as the hotel is located right in the center of Saint Gervais, the breakfast buffet was the best we have had on our trip in France and the price was very reasonable.

It may be worth paying a few extra bucks for a room with rear exposure, not only for the view of Mont Blanc but also to avoid hearing the noise from the town square in the early morning.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple