“Heaps of character and wonderful views. Maybe not...”
other travelers have booked this property

Review of Le Mazot

St Gervais Bridge on a snowy day
Top of St Gervais/Megeve Resort
Megeve - 10 mins drive away
Lake Passy - 10 mins drive away
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Reviews from our community

French first
Any
Nick F
“Heaps of character and wonderful views. Maybe not for everyone though.”
Reviewed August 27, 2014 for a stay in August 2014

We spent a lovely week in this chalet and enjoyed the quirckiness, views and ease of access to Chamonix, Megeve and Saint Gervais. The chalet is cosy and well equipped but is on 3 levels with steep steps between each floor and, as mentioned in a previous review, this could be a problem for some. There is a double bed and separate bathroom on the ground floor which was a little chilly and a bit too far from the upstairs bedrooms so we decided to put the children in the bunk beds next to the kitchen and used the double bed on the top floor above the kitchen. This was fine but not ideal as it meant we had to either use the loo in the girls room or go down 2 flights of stairs to the ground floor. The kitchen table made a great focal point for evening meals and games and the comfortable lounge was perfect for relaxing in at the end of the day. The outside decking area has stunning views of the mountain but perhaps could do with a little TLC for summer visitors. Loved the big BBQ! The parking and the drive up to it could be a problem for some but I found it OK once I'd mastered the slope and mapped a course around the potholes! As mentioned there is parking at the bottom if preferred. The black dog who weren't particularly looking forward to it was under control and very well behaved! All in all a very memorable chalet in a great location!

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: character, views, location
Liked least: ease of access
Traveling group: Teenagers
Friends getaway People with pets
Sep 3, 2014
It pleases me to hear kind words on the chalet and to hear that the guests had an enjoyable time making the most of the sociable kitchen, BBQ and the views. I have also taken on board the comment on the gardening and have arranged for weekly gardening during the summer months, as it clearly grows a lot quicker than I anticipated!
Laura, the owner.
Richard J
Cockermouth, United Kingdom
“Great little place in the French Alps”
Reviewed August 4, 2014 for a stay in July 2014

We really enjoyed this little chalet. It is very old and has the corresponding features of such a property with steep stairs and low beams! It was clean and tidy and everything worked, including the washing machine. It has a pleasant bathroom with an excellent shower. We enjoyed the experience of sleeping right under the roof in the top bedroom with a window that opens to look out on the mountains. It is a good base to explore the region from. Spectacular views of the snow covered Aiguille de Bionnassay (4052m) from the wooden terrace.

Traveling group: Spouse/Partner
ignatius5...
“Musty dusty and totally inappropriate for kids.”
Reviewed July 8, 2014 for a stay in June 2014

Clearly little use outside ski season. Greeted by a huge Rottweiler from the next apartment.... not on a lead and barking aggressively. Proceeded up steps past overgrown greenery thinking this isn't great to find a chalet that needed a good airing and some of the cobwebs removed. Inside main problem is the stairs up to the first floor and then again up to the bedroom, They are ridiculously steep and have more in common with a step ladder. Not for the aged infirm or for those with young kids. Parking outside is problematic as there are clearly a lot of vehicles competing for very little space. We booked for 7 days but left after 2.
Local town pretty, with an amazing ice rink.

Rooms Location
Cleanliness
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
Jul 24, 2014
I would like to respond to this review posted in June. The chalet is actually used over the summer months, however this particular June booking was the first of the summer bookings, which may explain the comment about requiring airing, for which in future I will ensure is aired for a period of time before the first of the summer bookings, and I can only apologise to those guests and take on board their comment. The house however is thoroughly cleaned before each guest, and as it is a wooden chalet there may have been a cobweb which was missed by the cleaner. My cleaner is excellent and is most upset about this review and took it very much to heart so has since thoroughly cleaned every corner and cobweb of the chalet! Equally the gardener has been round to cut back extensively, it had been done but this is a personal choice, and in light of this comment the gardener has gone back and done more than the usual to ensure all guests are happy with the surrounding greenery, which grows at speed during the summer months.

Regarding the stairs, yes they are steep but they are in the photos, they are not a ladder as quoted and I haven’t had any comments on them in the past. I agree not for the elderly but this is on my website. If there are small children (and I have 2 small nieces who have been coming since they were born) their living space is all on one level(the bunk room and toilet are off the kitchen, lounge and decking area) and so not a problem if you are concerned.

Re the parking there is a spot in front of the chalet (one per property and any additional cars are left at the bottom of the drive where there is ample space if you don’t wish to turn around amongst other cars.

It upsets me greatly that the guests had such negative comments and even worse that I was unaware of it until this review. If only I had been called on arrival with their concerns I would have immediately rectified it and called in the cleaner and Gardener again.

If you are interested in my property and any of the above concerns you please call me, I am more than happy to discuss and give you further peace of mind should you need it.

Laura
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 31, 2012 for a stay in December 2012
person found this review helpful

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The chalet itself; especially the wood fire.
Liked least: We managed to get Wifi passwords from the local Mairie, but then found that we couldn't get a signal from the chalet.
Traveling group: Friends
Friends getaway Families with young children
Tracy W W
Leitrim, Ireland
“Great place and base for ski ing and relaxing”
Reviewed January 24, 2012 for a stay in January 2012

This is a great place to stay for a holiday as it is so close to the town of Saint Gervais, within walking distance and close to the telecabin ski gondola ( 5 minutes walking)
The chalet is cozy and comfortable , so warm and loads of hot water for everyone! We were six adults and although it is a small chalet we had space to relax, eat and sleep no problem. The kitchen is well equiped , with everything you need and we had many a merry night around the kitchen table. Two decent size double bedrooms with comfortable mattresses and a bunk bed room, whoever has the bunk room does get a wash basin and toilet room .
If you put the log burner in be prepared to cook, it was lovely and theres wood there for you to use. We all enjoyed the chalet , it is traditional and that was the charm of the place. If thats what you like you will be happy here.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: loads of hot water and quaintness
Traveling group: With Friends
Friends getaway Families with young children
People with pets
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
Swindon
Reviewed August 30, 2011 for a stay in July 2011
person found this review helpful

Liked best: Location and Views
Liked least: Leaving!
Traveling group: Family with Teenagers
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
Martin Aa...
Runcorn, United Kingdom
“Nice location, shame about some problems.”
Reviewed June 22, 2011 for a stay in October 2010

On arrival to the chalet we were confronted by the neighbours huge aggressive dog, which we had to pass each time to get to the car. This was not really a huge problem if I am honest.

The chalet is in a brilliant location, hence the 5/5 rating for location. We used it as a base to get to Italy, Switzerland the French alps, which are beautiful.

The biggest problem of the stay was the wifi, which you have to purchase from the local cyber café. This was closed for the duration of our stay and we need internet access to run our business, we had to go to the tourist office to use the internet everyday.

When we arrived at the chalet we had to thoroughly clean everywhere as it was filthy, we had to wash the bedding on the bed we stayed in as it smelt and was stained, it had definitely had not been washed since the last guests had left. I understand that the owner does not live at the property but this was unacceptable.

The plumbing had been done by an amateur which was evident as when you flushed the en-suite toilet, the noise and smell came into the kitchen sink and bath - easily solvable by a professional plumber.

The whole place was very, very cramped and I would definitely not recommend to rent the whole thing as a 3 bedroomed chalet as it is far too small. We thought it was cramped for 2 of us who are both under 6 foot.

Also, most light bulbs were broken.

The chalet had loads of good points against the bad points listed above. It was very quaint, the log burner was a very nice touch. Sky TV was nice, a DVD player with a few DVD's.

The wonderful kitchen table was made from a few huge logs sculpted into a really nice and heavy kitchen table. The overall decoration was quite nice but could do with a bit of a touch up.

The downstairs bathroom was quite nice and looks like it had been recently done.

A nice touch was the recipe in the kitchen for a local dish, we made this, it was nice and we copied the recipe and have taken it home.

We came in the low season but still found lots to do and I can see why people come to this part of France on holiday.

The contact with the owner whilst booking was good, she was very helpful and pleasant and with a few changes, this could be a really nice chalet. I believe this is a holiday home that the family rent out when they are not there to help pay the costs.

Overall, I was disappointed with a lot of things but with simple changes this could be a nice place to come on holiday.

The owners should not take the criticism to heart but try to rectify the problems to create a great holiday place.

Value Rooms
Location Cleanliness
Check in / front desk Service
Traveling group: With Spouse/Partner
Your age range 18-24
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
Friends getaway A romantic getaway
Families with young children Tourists
Aug 23, 2011
As the owner of the chalet I would like to respond to some of the comments made in the review on 22 June 2011.

I have never in 6 years had any negative comments from tenants who rent my chalet so feel this review is not a true reflection of what the chalet offers.

The large dog referred to belongs to the apartment next door which is not in view of or close to the chalet to cause any problems. He is also tied up at all times in the Summer and indoors in the Winter. I would also like to add that the chalet is stand alone and is completely self contained with a lockable gate and fencing.

The wifi referred to is bought from the local café for a period of time which is excellent value for money. The guests commenting arrived off season and the café appears to have closed. This is mentioned in the advert. I can advise on this.

The plumbing has been done professionally. Further improvements have been made and the whole middle level has been newly replaced. (The people who have made this review actually stayed in October 2010 but have only recently made this review.)

Regarding the cleaning I was not alerted by those guests that there was a problem at the time. A few days into their stay they called and I immediately got my Caretakers to go round (who are excellent and respond immediately if a problem arises) and it does appear there was a mix up with the changeover dates. Under no circumstances is the property ever left unclean or bedding not changed, this was clearly a one off mistake and mistakes sadly happen. I agree it is totally unacceptable the property was not up to standard and for this reason the utmost care will be taken to ensure it never happens again.

As the owner of the property I take great pride and care in ensuring my guests enjoy their stay and it is up to the standard I expect of a property being rented out. The property is very dear to my heart and as often as I can, I spend time at the chalet adding items and making it as homely and welcoming as possible for guests.

The chalet is a cosy chalet as described and as shown in the pictures. It is unique as it is a traditional mazot so ceiling heights are lower but that is part of the charm. Sadly the guests who stayed didn’t appreciate this. The chalet is priced accordingly and is larger than an average ski apartment, which often claim to sleep 6 but never do. My chalet sleeps 6 in 3 decent sized bedrooms and each has privacy and plenty of cupboard space.

If you have any questions on the property, I am more than happy to discuss with you.

Laura
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a vacation rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travelers
Set up your free listing