“Avarage appartments, but watch out for you belongings”

Belambra Clubs - Le Hameau des Airelles
Ranked #9 of 27 Hotels in Les Menuires
Ljubljana, Slovenia
“Avarage appartments, but watch out for you belongings”
Reviewed January 25, 2013

We were staying here in January 2013 having decent vacations until our brand new skis were stolen from ski locker at apartments. We went to local Police, report everything, report everything at front desk and recieved no support from staff. They just said that we should have our skis insured and they can not cover it... So we lost 600EUR on skis and they didn't make any compensation to us.

Really not professional from their side, I am never comming back ant to all who are - be sure to insure every propoerty you have there!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank Sloski

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Czech first
Northampton
Reviewed March 18, 2012

We booked via Crystal and arrived around 3pm which I thought was going to be a problem after some of the reviews saying we couldn't get in until 5pm, but we were allowed straight up to the apartment. There were 6 of us in our party, 4 adults and 2 children, (2 and 13 years old.) The apartment given to us was only had 1 bathroom and was right at the top of the building, with the lift stopping at the floor below. To say it was a squeeze would be an understatement, and very inconvenient with a pushchair. However, the next morning, we find keys to another apartment in the post rack with our name on. On investigation, this one was much larger and had 2 bathrooms, so we asked to move and it was agreed we could do. Our name is very rare indeed, but we were then told that we had to clean the apartment we left and ensure it was ready for the new arrivals, (I don't know if they ever turned up!)
I will base the review on the 2nd apartment from now on.
The pros:
Clean, nice apartment, spacious if there are only 4 of you. Plenty of hot water for baths and showers, lots of crockery and cutlery, though tiny glasses which aren't ideal, but very French according to our rep.
The location is good if you ski, it is practically ski in. ski out if your boot room is near the slope next to the chairlift which ours was - a different building to our accommodation.
There was a problem with the Bettex chairlift towards the end of the week, so we had to get the free bus back from the Gare Routiere at La Croisette which is no big deal really, though it did get busy from 5ish. The bus stops at the top of the very steep slope to the apartments.
The staff I dealt with seemed friendly enough and the check-in receptionist was very polite and knowledgeable. Didn't have anything much to do with them as we were out all day, but my parents didn't have any problems.
Beds were OK, if a little slender. I usually don't have any problems sleeping anyway after a day of skiing, I have trouble staying up til 10pm most nights!
The cons:
The first apartment mix-up, but that was apparently Crystal Ski's fault for not telling them we had a child and wanted 2 bathrooms - I shall ask directly next time.
We booked these apartments partly because they had an indoor swimming pool which we thought would be nice after a day's skiing, and also great entertainment for my parents and my 2-year-old. Unfortunately, due to the temperature of the pool, they only went once, as did my husband, daughter and I. It was freezing! The foot bath was even worse, so even before you'd be fully submerged, you'd caught a chill.
Something to watch with small children is the amount of dog poo there is everywhere around the complex. This is something we've noticed in a lot of French resorts, but that doesn't make it right! The staff should ensure it is cleaned up.
My father also fell over on some of the ice which was piled up on some of the major walkways around the apartment buildings. There was no attempt to clear it by the staff and even though you had to walk over it to get to some of the apartment entrances, no one seemed bothered. My father has osteoporosis, so this could have been catastrophic for him.
We ordered the baby kit for my 2-year-old which included a high chair and a cot bed. (God knows where he would have had to sleep if we didn't have that!) The first one which was delivered only 3 sides clicked into place, but because reception was closed by the time we realised, we had to make do with it. The next day we asked for another which was promptly delivered after the reception had closed again, and this one was even worse! 3 sides didn't work, so was more dangerous than the first one. Reception was closed, so I ended up calling the Crystal rep who very promptly delivered us another one from the Niege et Ciel hotel (same chain) which actually worked. He even brought sheets and blanket which came with it apparently at the hotel, no such luxury at the apartments, even though we'd paid extra for bedding and cleaning!
The wifi is only available in the reception area, or in a little foyer just to the side of the reception doors after hours - it was freezing, so take a coat! Bit disappointed we couldn't have paid extra to have it in our room, but not an option. It is free, but has some serious drawbacks.
They wanted 40 euros for the telly - what a rip off! We didn't bother, I didn't ask how many English channels I would get for that, but previous reviews told me all I needed to know.

Overall, we had a positive experience, but the dog poo, icy paths and freezing swimming pool put me off necessarily booking there again. If the price is right though, I might put up with it for a brilliant resort.

Room Tip: Ring them to ask for a room with lift access if you have a young child, and if there are 6 people sh...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank ClareMNorthampton
york
Reviewed February 19, 2012

We came back here for the second year in a row. This year we went for the two bedroom option which gives more space than the one bedroom appartment. I would recommend this option if there are more than 3 of you.

The appartments are fine for a ski holiday. Ours was clean, warm and had all the equipment necessary. As mentioned the reception is not the most welcoming/efficent but we didn't have any problems.

Once you get to know the place the location is fine. There is a free bus up to the centre which is regular if not always on time. Altenatively it's a about a 15 minute walk.

The appartments are almost ski in/ski out with a short climb in the morning to get up to the slope to take you to the chairlift. The return at night via the Bettix chair is pretty much back to the door.

We hired skis etc from the Skimium shop nearby but not within the actual appartmnet grounds. Good price and very helpful.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank ochust
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 4, 2012

I stayed here during a ski trip.

First I would like to mention the intolerable rudeness I received from the staff there. Although I was in obvious need of assistance I was ignored for 25 minutes by several staff there as it was just outside of their ridiculously short hours. One staff member looked at me pointedly and then walked away, and another told me to ‘go away’ several times, the last time less than three minutes before the scheduled opening. I found them to be curt and unhelpful at the best of times and downright rude at the worst. I do not understand how a business stays running with such customer service.

Second I would like to mention the inaccuracies in the accommodation listing itself. I do not feel that hiking up a hill and skiing down to a base lift that takes you up to the actual skiing area and having to take a ten minute lift up to just above the accommodation really counts as ‘ski to your door’. The lifts themselves do not open until 9:00, which is when the lessons start, so we had to take a bus each morning anyway. We did not have ski lockers in our building; ours were two buildings away and most inconvenient. I also do not think ‘pull out bed’ is terribly accurate, as the sofa stays an uncomfortable sofa and the pull out bit is basically a box directly on the floor. The ‘free wi-fi’ is a 30 minute a day maximum after jumping through various hoops.

There were other problems as well. The light over the sink didn’t work, making the general kitchen/dining area ambience that of the Black Hole of Calcutta. The clock didn’t work, several of the power outlets didn’t work, and the elevator did not come all the way up to our floor. The ceilings sloped down to a height of 5’6” and generally made it uncomfortable or even dangerous to anyone over that height. It took three days to get around to sorting anything out. Another family there did not have hot water for the first two days.

Finally, a few words about safety issues. The floor in the bathroom is treacherous with just a small amount of water. My 7-year-old fell over on the second evening. I was told if I wanted a bath mat to make the floor safe I would have to pay for it! One evening when we were swimming one of the pool lights was floating on the surface of the water, still on, anchored to the spot by the wires connecting it to the wall.

Room Tip: Find another accomodation!
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank skidude12

Travelers are raving about these Les Menuires hotels

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed February 1, 2011

This is a nice little complex and the apartments are cosy. We had an apartment to sleep 2-4....there is no way 4 people would have spent a week in it as it was quite small. Adequately kitted out. Reception is only open at certain times of the day but generally helpful. We used the pool etc. once - it is quite small and it was very busy and is in one of the other apartment buildings. One drawback is that checkout is strictly at 10am and if you have a later flight/collection there is no facility to leave your bags. You have to bring them into the town and deposit them at the local sports centre for a small charge, and then bring them back again for your pick up! This was painful!

There's a great restaurant nearby, Le Chateau. A fairly limited menu but great food at reasonable prices, and the staff were great. You can also get fresh bread etc here every morning.
Les Menuires is a lovely resort, but extremely quiet and very family orientated....we couldn't find ANY nightlife and believe me we looked!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank DeeDub002
Hampshire
Reviewed January 27, 2011

Well this is definitely the best quality ski accommodation I have stayed in before. We always choose 4* properties when we ski and normally they are always very basic and would barely pass for a 3*. I didn't expect any different from this property, but have to say I was pleasantly surprised!!!
We had a one bed apartment for 3 adults (my partner and my dad). We had one bedroom with twin beds pushed together which was fine - it was fine size as is just a base to sleep in and had wardrobe and pegs/shelf.
There was a pull out bed in the living/kitchen area which was handy as it could be hidden well in the day. There was also a wardrobe for use in the hallway with more pegs to hang items.
The kitchen was very good, and had a grill, hob, dishwasher and basic cutlery etc. Take some dishwasher tablets and cloths with you though!!
The bathroom and toilet were in seperate rooms, again both very clean and both rooms had ample storage!!

Each apartment block has a ski room to store your equipment each day and this is free. We also had access to the slopes literally 30 seconds outside the front door. There was a chair lift that also dropped outside the apartments too, so location could not be better!!

Things I would say:
1. We pre paid to have beds made up, towels provided and a clean at the end of the stay, but if you don't do this you will have to take your own towels, make up your own bed and clean the apartment yourself at the end - I believe this is common in France.
2. The TV is charged at around 41 euros per week to watch, we didn't bother with this as we weren't in much - however our tv did turn on twice by itself in the day and a memeber of staff did let themselves in without knocking to look at the tv and then left again...
3. There is a swimming pool which can be used free of charge
4. There is a shuttle bus that takes you to the centre of Les Menuires from the hotel and takes 5 mins of so. This is free.
5. There is a ski hire shop on site.
6. You do hear others in neighbouring rooms, but I have always found this to be the case in ski accommodation

Overall I would absolutely go back in an instant and was very impressed with the whole experience!!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
5 Thank nihon13
Milton Keynes
Reviewed April 12, 2009

Most of what 'SkierUK' put in their review in Feb 07 still holds true. Other points worth mentioning are:
> The apartments are at the top of the Bettex chair lift. You climb some steps out of the carpark to get on a green run which connects you to the main lift network. At the end of the day, you can ski down to Bettex and take the lift back up to the apartments - as long as you don't leave it too late! These runs were still useable even after an April heatwave.
> Alternatively, the frequent free shuttle bus ('navette gratuite') goes from the bus stop at the top of the drive to the central bus station in Les Menuires, where you access the lifts at 'Croisette'.
> We went with Crystal and had a late Saturday arrival. Reception was closed - and keys were left in an envelope outside. All those who arrived at the same time had fun and games finding their apartments. Our departure the following Saturday was also late - and we weren't allowed to leave our bags in reception during the day. Instead, we left them at the leisure centre opposite the bus station for 2 euros a bag, and used the loos at the bus station as changing rooms after the morning's skiing. Crystal arranged to pick us up there. It sounds fairly grim, but actually worked well.
> The complex is on a very sloping site. Take care!

Compared to most of the accomodation we saw in Les Menuires and Val Thorens, I think this complex compares very favourably for facilities and access. You're a bit distant from the resort's other facilities (such as they are), but this makes it all the more ideal if you want a bit of peace.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
Residence Le Chamois d'Or
Residence Le Chamois d'Or
#17 of 29 in Val Thorens
Pierre & Vacances Premium Residence Arc 1950 Le Village

Been to Belambra Clubs - Le Hameau des Airelles? Share your experiences!