“Great Apartments, lovely staff”

Lagrange Prestige Residence Les Chalets D'Edelweiss
Reviewed January 28, 2013

Just got back from a fantastic ski week at Les Chalets D'Edelweiss. After reading some reviews I didn't hold out much hope of getting into our apartment early, not being able to get access to reception and then prepared myself for an attitude! We had an early flight and arrived into resort at around 2.30pm. As predicted reception was closed, but straight away a lovely staff member opened up for us. She checked us in no problem, offered wifi, which our friends bought for 20 Euros.. Extremely friendly and chatty and no attitude at all! We are all quite funny and nice though! The apartments were great, small bedroom, large bathroom with bath and a lounge, kitchenette with a pull out sofa bed. Wifi arrived within 5 minutes by way of a router that plugged into the apartment socket and was very good. Very well equipped for a ski apartment with good quality crockery and glassware. Large fridge with small ice tray. No oven, but a microwave. Great view onto the red run into Plagne 1800. Should mention that the apartments are lovely and warm, a little too warm as it goes for our friends who chose to have their windows open, Perfect for myself and my husband though. The apartments are great for families sharing and especially for two people but I would say on the small side for 4 adult friends to share! As we didn't use the sofa bed we used our duvet to put on top of the mattress as per comment about them being a little hard. Ours was very comfortable and we had very little noise disruption from other apartments except one night when the room above had a singing competition. We just listened and enjoyed. Bread and pastries can be ordered from reception every night to collect in the morning. This was great and we had lovely breakfasts all together. There is a ski locker down stairs, although we kept boots in the apartment. Access onto the piste is so convenient, right out of the door and your onto the chairlift up to La Bergerie or other way to another lift to either La Roche or Aime via the Golf Lift. There is a red run back to resort but it's wide and not difficult so any intermediate should be able to handle. I would recommend the ski hire across the road from the apartments, very friendly and great new kit. Plagne 1800 is much prettier than other resorts in La Plagne save Belle Plagne, it has a lovely alpine feel and no high rise buildings. There is a supermarket and few restaurants, couple of bars and a tabac so everything you need really, although if you want to go further afield the ski bus stop is outside the Edelweiss. We ate at Mamma Mia's on our first night and also our last night. Great pizza, friendly staff and lovely atmosphere. We also ate at Monica's in Plagne Soleil having stayed at the nearby Hotel Vancouver last year, we got to love this place, it is really good food and is also slopeside for day time hot chocolates and food. It has a lovely sun terrace too. We also ate in a couple of nights which was great and spreads the cost a little too, although we bought two Rotiserie chickens from Plagne Centre which cost 39 Euros!! Yes I did say 39 Euros!! Crazy price, but we made sure we ate every bit and it was good! Skiing in La Plagne is fantastic and an intermediates paradise. My only complaint really is that the piste grading is a little odd at times. Red runs more like blue runs and a couple of blues that could pass for a red/black at times. Le Verdons is one that springs to mind, difficult to say the least! The run down to Montalbert is better on the red Fornelet than the blue Prevendue, trust me it wasn't pleasant and involved ski's off and a walk up hill for the last 40 yards! Our pickup from the Edelweiss was at 1pm and the staff were kind enough to stay open for us and let us sit there for a few hours. They are supposed to close at 12 but didn't just for us. Big thanks for that as it made life a lot easier. They have comfortable seating and complimentary tea and coffee. My only slight moan would be that having to clean your own apartment and strip the beds etc is not great, especially at the price we paid. Having said that it wouldn't put me off staying again but I would just probably pay the cleaning fee. If it was a budget place I could understand but it does pitch itself as Prestige so I feel this should be included. All in all, great time, would recommend to anyone and thought all the staff were fantastic and super friendly. Maybe they sacked all the grumpy staff before we arrived. Didn't use the Crystal rep at all as we had been the previous year, but they seemed a friendly lot.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank sassy01

Reviewed January 10, 2013

Just back from a wk in Edelweiss apartments. Reception was closed when we got there but luckily our Crystal rep got us a key. We are a family of 2 adults and 3 children and found the apartment v small . The bed linen and towels were just dumped on the table so had to make up beds etc at 11pm. We were on the 2nd floor and lift was broken for the whole wk, this was inconvenient considering we have 3 small kids and ski gear. No hair dryers in the apartments and none for rent either! Swimming pool was barley luke warm. They charge 70 euro for a departure clean which if definitely not worth. Overall we had a great holiday and location was great but accommodation not what it was like in the brochure.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Hilary W
Reviewed March 18, 2012

We stayed in Chalet D'Edelweiss in March this year. The apartments are lovely, fairly spacious for skiing apartments with good quality, solid fittings and furniture (although the mattresses are VERY hard!). Their location is also great; walk out of the side of the building and you are right at the ski school and a few yards from the chair lift and piste. There is a small swimming pool that gets very crowded at the end of the day but is deserted at other times and is great for sore muscles and also a sauna and hamman but we didn't use these so I can't comment on them.

However, what really let Edelweiss down were the reception staff, who were so unhelpful and rude it had to be seen to be believed. Almost every request we made (can we have another duvet, more pillows, cot for the baby) was met with a blank stare and one word; 'non'.

The wifi is E20 for the week but is only available in reception, which closes at 8pm, so you can't use it after this time. I thought this was totally unacceptable as the evening is the time when most people are free to use their computers. Unfortunately, almost every other chalet in Plange 1800 provides free wifi so the provision in the local bars and restaurants is not great.

So, stay in Edelweiss for the quality of their apartments and their location but do not expect to get much help from the staff if you need them. The people who co-own these chalets with La Grange should really be making a fuss about the standard of customer service because it would certainly put me and my family off staying in them again.

Room Tip: Some appartments have balconies which face inwards to the complex but others have ones which face th...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
9  Thank Catgraceful
Reviewed March 13, 2012

I recently just returned from a skiing holiday in France which was a surprise present for my girlfriend where we stayed at the Chalets Edelweiss la Plagne 1800. When we arrived, the reception area was locked shut which was disappointing as we had to wait outside in the cold for over 1 hour. When the reception area finally opened we checked in and the room was not ready and they said 1 hour, the male receptionist was very rude and he did not explain where anything was in the complex. So I come back 1 hour later and the room was still not ready, so I was waiting well over 3 hours in total, so I asked to speak to a manager as I felt this was not acceptable as it was still not ready and they were being extremely rude and were ignoring to speak to me eventually the manager spoke to me, and the lady come over to speak to us and said "do you speak French?" Where we replied no, and then she walked off and refused to speak to us because we didn't speak French. This made me extremely infuriated because the room was still not ready no one would speak to us and we were being ignored. Finally they just threw a key at us, saying a very rude comment “next time you should just wait". So we went up to the room and the room was not clean, we wanted to have a shower and there were no towels in the room. At this point I had enough. They did not care or would not speak to me about this. So we had to clean the room top to bottom, as it was filthy. We also had to go back down to reception to ask for towels which should have been in the room. The cleaning of the room made us late so we completely missed dinner and had not eaten for 24hrs. They also expect you to count all the crockery and cutlery in the room and will charge if there is any missing, shouldn't this be their job? I paid over £1200 for this week’s stay and do not expect to have to wait over 3 hours for my room when check out is 10am I did not get into my room until half 5/6, be spoken to extremely rudely, clean the apartment before I can unpack, have to ask for towels, count all the crockery, cutlery, saucepans etc. This was a surprise present for my girlfriend and I felt extremely upset and embarrassed as this turned out to be a complete disaster. She was also very unwell on the last couple of days so I’m not sure if this was due to the dirtiness of the apartment or stress this caused us. It's a shame as this could be a lovely place to stay but the staff seriously let this down. Its also in a great location and if the apartments were clean then they would be ideal, however this was not the case. You also have to give a 300 Euro deposit and have to clean your apartment before you leave,(basically do their job for them).We also went with 7 other people and they stayed in a duplex apartment, the lift going up to there room was broken which was a mission with the suitcase and ski's everyday. There was lockers for the ski's but they were deep down underground dotted around everywhere so it was very hard to find which one was yours, so it was easier to put them in the room. When we asked if they were going to fix the lift they said they will not get it fixed any time soon and simply did not care that it wasn't in use. I feel this strong about the situation as I work in a hotel as a manager and understand what should and what shouldn't be done, but this experience was disgraceful.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
13  Thank Sam P
Reviewed February 20, 2012

its fine, the apartments are okay, and whats required for a ski holiday. Staff could be more helpful but this is france.

Good snow and proximity to lifts, liftpass shop, ski hire and ESF make it a good choice

Room Tip: try to be away from lifts
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank CJTW
Reviewed February 20, 2012

We have just returned from half term week's skiing having stayed at this complex. I think a few tips may help you make up your mind whether to say here and will ease orinetation once you arrive.

Main reception was busy on arrival, which was to be expected given the time of the year, managed to take occupancy at 6pm. Waited at the Bobsleigh" an "English" local nearby, a bit austere for me but pleasant enough.

Accommodation was first class ((Apt no 329) 6 person - we slept 4). Clean, well appointed with lounge kitchenette, microwave with grill, 4 ring hob, double sofabed. Separate wc, another wc and bath in bathroom, with two bunks in the hall and separate double bedroom with en-suite shower and sink. Loads of storage space plus a balcony looking out over the village / slopes.

Underground parking cost E49 but was worth it as otherwise you have to shift the car back out to the edge of Plagne 1800 once it is unloaded and with -10deg didnt want to risk the engine freezing up.

Wifi available for around E24 but only works in main reception area. WARNING - they close this at 8pm sharp, so what is the point! Much better to pop to the "Mines" bar down the hill and around to the right, 2 mins walk, get an hour's wifi for E7 every day that week, plus happy hour 4-7!!

Ski passes on sale opposite the reception, 4 man chair a second away carries you straight to Plagne Centre. Try a family ski pass available here locally, much cheaper than the pass sold by La Grange as part of the accommodation.

Ski lockers on same level as the car park, free of charge and using the same key as for the apartment.

Flat screen tv with BBC World Service, take a laptop, rgb cable and 3.5mm phono male to male lead and watch all your fav dvds and avi films.

Enjoy

Room Tip: 329 was a good room facing in to swimming poole and village / slopes glimpses, those numbering 2** w...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
7  Thank stracj
Reviewed January 14, 2012

We stayed in the Chalets D'Eidelweiss for a week skiing holiday booked with DirectSki and found it to be a good choice. The development is one of around 80 apartments over three floors built in chalet style. There are lifts to all floors. The apartments are built around a courtyard area with a stand alone building that contains the swimming pool, sauna and steam room. It was hard to tell if this central area is ordinarily attractive because just now it is under about 5ft of snow apart from small pathways that have been cleared. The apartments are ski in ski out and are at the bottom of a red (Mines) and blue piste (Lovatiere). Both of these pistes are quite steep and would be hard for complete beginners to negotiate. There are two chair lifts that leave just outside the accommodation, one that goes up to Plagne Centre and one to Aime Plagne - both of these give good access to excellent beginner areas and also to the rest of the Paradiski area. There is a small green area and drag lift just outside the apartments but the ones in the higher villages are better. There is an ESF ski school meeting point just outside the accommodation - we took a private lesson and found them to be excellent (instructor was Phillipe). There is also a kiosk just next to the reception area where you can buy your lift pass. The free shuttle bus which takes you to the higher villages and runs every 15 mins until after midnight leaves from outside the reception area just across the road.

Plagne 1800 is a quiet village and is more attractive than most of the other Plagne villages. There are three good restaurants (notably Chalet de la Lovatiere on the Lovatiere piste just above the village) and a good bar (The Mine).

The accommodation was a one bed roomed apartment with a nice view of the pistes and a balcony off the living room. It never caught the sun though due to its aspect. The apartment consisted of a small bedroom, hallway, bathroom, toilet and living room with a kitchen area and sofa bed. The apartment had nice decor and was a perfect size for two adults. It would also be fine for a family but it would have been cramped for four adults. The kitchen was well enough equipped but lacked an oven. The apartment has under floor heating and wall heaters and was warm 24hrs a day. There was no hairdryer and not enough available to borrow from reception to go round. Each apartment has a secure ski locker in the basement which is great for skis and pole but too cold for boots to be left over night. You can order very reasonably priced good quality bread items for breakfast which you pick up from reception.

The few cons are as follows:
There is no free WIFI, it costs about 20 Euros for the week and is only available at reception.
The noise from the apartment above us really travelled through the floor - fine if you are keeping the same hours but could very disturbing otherwise.
The pool could have been a couple of degrees warmer.
Each apartment only gets one free use of the sauna/steam room after that it’s 8 Euros a pop.
There was a bit of a big deal made about the deposit (300 Euros!) for breakages/missing items upon check in which we found a bit disconcerting.
The bed was not made when we arrived - the bedding was dumped on the bed.
You have to clean your own apartment - including unmaking the bed and washing the floors - and made an appointment for an inspection when you check out before your deposit is refunded - we thought that was really annoying and not how you usually end your holiday. It also made us wonder about the general cleanliness of the apartments because no cleaning products were provided for you or the previous occupants of your apartment who in effect become your cleaners. (you can pay 50 Euros or more depending on the size of your apartment so you don’t have to carry out this task!)

All in all we though that the accommodation was good value and would definitely consider staying here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the pistes on the 1st or 2nd floor
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple