“Best place to stay in the French Alps!”

Loft Mountain Hostel
Mariakerke, West-Vlaanderen, Belgium
“Best place to stay in the French Alps!”
Reviewed September 2, 2012

Loft is by far the best hostel I’ve ever stayed in! Charley, the owner makes you feel very welcoming. She’s always prepared to answer all of your questions and give you tips about what to do and see in the area.

The rooms itself are all spacious, very clean and comfortable. There’s under floor heating, free wifi, a large chill area with a massive flat screen TV, Wii, DVD’s, drying room and even a pool table! The large communal kitchen is very well equipped with everything you need to cook your meals. The showers and bathroom area are kept nice and clean. I always had hot water, even late in the evening when everybody else already had a shower!

In the garage there’s plenty of place for storage (ski’s, snowboards, mountain bikes). I found the boot heaters very useful.

The location is superb! A 5 min walk to the funiculair (7 minutes right up to Arc 1600), town centre and railway station. Loft is located right opposite super market Lidl and the local bakery.

I travelled solo in the winter of 2012 and stayed in the loft for a month. The Loft feels like one big family with like-minded people who are all out there for the same reasons.

During summer time I went back for some summer activities. Loft is without a question a great stay during both summer and winter. During my stay in the summer I’ve met some motor biker guys. It’s perfect for them as they can park their precious bikes on the private parking space.

I would definitely recommend the loft to anyone who is looking for a superb accommodation with excellent facilities in the French Alps. It’s simply the best place to stay in Bourg/Les Arcs! Go and visit, you will not be disappointed! But be aware, the word is out so book quick!

2 Thank Willem V

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Totnes, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 21, 2012

Before last season I was searching for places to go ride and linked to the Loft from a U.K snowboard forum and that was all she wrote. From the moment I arrived I knew I had chosen the right place. The hostel itself feels more like a cozy house and is a really, really comfortable place to be, with wi-fi, under floor heating, massive sofa's and a huge T.V its a great place to be after a solid day of riding and easy to get a good nights sleep. Charley, who runs the loft will make you feel welcome and at ease and nothings ever to much trouble, if its recommendations on places to eat out, directions to places, or secret spots on the mountain you'l be covered. I went to the Loft completely solo not knowing what to expect and only ever riding for 3 hours beforehand. I left after 7 weeks with amazing memories and had met and made some amazing friends. I was so stoked by it all that i booked for next season before i had even left.
I would strongly recommend the Loft to anyone thinking about going skiing or snowboarding in the Alps as a great place to stay, especially with its location. If however you bring the right attitude and want to have a good time, its probably the only place to stay. Book now because its not going to stay a secret for much longer.

2 Thank HFTS
New Germany, Canada
Reviewed July 13, 2012

Really enjoyed our time at this hostel. Spent 4 night with two other mates and we had a room all to ourselves.

Charley was a really good host. It felt like a home away from home. She gave good advice on walks and local restaurants, providing maps etc

Highly recommend.

only 20 euros a night as well!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Matt B
London
Reviewed April 15, 2012

I stayed at the Loft for a week in Feb to visit my friend who is doing a ski season in Les Arcs and I had the most amazing time that as soon as I got home I booked straight away to go back out again at Easter. I have just come back from another epic couple of weeks and I literally can't wait to go out again next winter. The loft is an amazing place to stay, especially if you are travelling alone or in small groups because its sociable atmosphere means you get to meet a lot of different people during your stay. Everyone is so friendly and as soon as you step foot in the Loft you really don't ever want to leave. Charley is the girl in charge and, as well as being a fab host, she has made the loft stylish and comfortable! The bedrooms are spacious and comfortable and the big communal kitchen and lounge gives everyone a chance to get to know each other. By the end of the holiday everyone was mucking in and cooking meals for each other! Everything is kept very clean and tidy and it is full of unique touches down to the different stencils on the doors! The facilities are amazing both in the hostel and where the skis and snowboards are kept. There are drying racks for your boots and gloves and there is also a ski tech on hand in case you forget to wax your board before you come out! Bourg itself is a beautiful little place with some great restaurants and when the snow starts to melt in spring there are some beautiful walks that you can go on. The Funicular which takes you up the hill is only a 5/10 minute walk and there is some much great skiing to be done when you get up the hill! I would reccommend the Loft to anyone who is thinking about going on a ski holiday, it is an absolutely amazing place to stay and you won't be disappointed! Roll on next winter and being back at the Loft!!!!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Caz_Piggy
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 13, 2012

I first came to The Loft with a friend in February to stay for a week earlier this year, and we were so impressed that as soon as we got home we booked to come back in April! We just got back from an amazing 2 week stay at The Loft and can't wait to find a way to return next winter.

The Loft had been recommended to us by a friend as friendly, affordable and cool accomodation in Bourg and it really did surpass all expectations I had. I have stayed in many hostels across Europe, but have found no other with the high level of facilities and comfort as The Loft. As many of the guests staying are out there for a long stay or for a season there is a real family feel about the Loft- the lovely owner Charley even cooked a huge Easter Sunday roast lunch for everyone staying there! Even though my friend and I were not staying for a long duration, we were made to feel incredibly welcome by Charley and everyone there and we met some fanatastic people. The Loft is also large enough for you to hang out with everyone in the large communal kitchen and living areas, or seek privacy and quiet in the chill out area or in the spacious bedrooms.

The facilities are really fab at the loft and always kept clean - sky tv, huge comfy sofa area, giant dining area, internet, phone with free callls to landlines across the world, amazing huge kitchen, powerful showers always with hot water, drying room, pool table, ski locker, ski/board waxing, really comfy large single beds with cool bedding, lots of storage....and i could go on and on!

In terms of location The Loft is ideally situated in the centre of Bourg, right by some great restaurants and bars which we tried. We came by Eurostar on our first visit and it is only 5mins walk from the train station cutting out expensive transfer costs to resorts. It is also right opposite the Liddle supermarket which is great value food and way cheaper than buying food in supermarkets in Les Arcs. The funicular is only a 5 minute walk away and is only 10 minutes to Arc 1600. Basically everything you need is right there!

I would definitely reccomend The Loft as the best place to stay in Bourg/Les Arcs, and the facilites are really far better then you would get in most self-catered appartments and even many chalets. I cant wait to go back!!!!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Natasha F
Portsmouth, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 5, 2012

I found the Loft from a post on SCUK and after checking out the website contacted the owner Charley about if it would be ok to stay for 2months. She was very friendly and helpful and within a few days I had paid a deposit and started counting down the days.

I arrived late afternoon Jan 1st to be greeted by Charley and driven just around the corner from the station, a short distance but after a long journey meant a lot!
Shown where the Funi was and where the local supermarket etc was found and then shown to my room.

A lovely warm, snug little room with plenty of storage space and sharing with another 3 people.

After I had unpacked, I wondered downstairs and was introduced to the other people in the loft, cracked open a beer and started my season :)

I cannot wait to go back, everything about the Loft was great. The people, the location, the space and the easy access to really cheap Lidl wine, resulting in many a fun night :)

As I write this its only 7.5months till I head off for my next season!

Strengths
5-10 Minute walk to the Funi and onto the mountain 10mins after that.
Opposite to a supermarket
Short Walk to town.
Owner is super nice and always happy to help.
Great like minded people who I hope to be friends with for years to come.
Very good value for money and everyone who visit from other hostels were tres jealous!
Huge TV and Nintendo Wii
Large Cooking and Prep areas.
Garage/Board room with work desk for tuning and waxing.
Nights out with Charley and Robyn up in 1800. Pub Golf ftw! And extra preps if you can get a hole in one using your board as a putter!

Room Tip: They are all good. The 5 Bed is the party room!