“"Local" in every way.”

Cuisines: Belgian, French, Dutch
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed May 31, 2014

This is the place to visit for genuine local food cooked in the traditional way. When you enter down some very steep steps it's a bit like going into an old air raid shelter. The thing I didn't like was the overpowering smell of a particularly pungent local cheese being cooked. However, my friend and I have eaten here on many occasions because we like good food, well prepared. Like another reviewer noted, this isn't fast food, so leave plenty of time to enjoy your meal. On my last visit, I noticed the head waiter from a very good restaurant across the road entertaining three friends at the next table. That speaks volumes as far as I'm concerned.

There are newer reviews for De Drie Kalders

Reviewed May 4, 2014

We like this restaurant, especially the beef stew and dauphinoise potatoes. We chose the set menu for the value, starting with pate, and I had a chocolate mousse for dessert. My husband had crème Brule. It is a fun place to visit, with all sorts of odd garments decorating the ceiling! My husband sat under a pair of old fashioned knickers! We got there as soon as it opened at 6pm. We got our meal pretty quickly, as we were the first, but it was very busy by the time we left about an hour or so later, when I think the wait for the meal increases somewhat. We have been to Drie Kalders a few times and have always enjoyed it.

1  Thank funkymama
Reviewed March 28, 2014 via mobile

We wanted to eat somewhere special to celebrate our wedding anniversary. This restaurant certainly fitted the bill. Situated underneath an old building in one of the main squares, in a cellar, the style and ambience were excellent. Quite an extensive menu and wine list was complemented with quality food and excellent service. Don't expect fast food - be patient, and soak up the atmosphere.

Reviewed March 13, 2014

Good menus at reasonable prices and a very nice atmosphere in this little estaminet.
I found some of the food a little under-seasoned and therefore lacking in taste. It may just have been my particular choice [ noix de veau] and others in my party enjoyed their meals so it's hard to judge on a single experience. Suffice to say that I was not inspired to return here when there was a plethora of other establishments in the locality.

Reviewed March 5, 2014

Good simple home cooked Flemish food in a great setting... underwear hanging from the ceilings etc. Great for families as lots of games about to entertain. Staff friendly and always smiling. Definatly reccommend