“This is France”
Review of Le St Charles

Le St Charles
Ranked #6 of 86 Restaurants in Saint-Omer
Cuisines: French, European
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Families with children, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: Telephone 03 21 88 57 38
South Wales
“This is France”
Reviewed July 12, 2014

Welcome to the world of French food. We have eaten at Charlie's before it was good then and I am very pleased to say the standards have not wavered since, when one enters Charlie's you feel, yes, I like this place, the surroundings are so simply decorated but yet so elegant, no fuss no bother just very pleasing to the eye. The waitress had changed, but as I found out later, she was having a baby the last time we went there. Oh the food, a few restaurants we have been to in France this holiday seem to have gone over to fusion food you know the type of thing, salmon wrapped in spiced shreddies yuck. We'll I am delighted to tell you Charlie's still cook French food scallops in a very delicate sauce with a little smoked salmon on the side, yummy. Lamb served with a tomato and basil reduction, duck served with a most delicate honey sauce, how I love the French profiteroles cut in half and stuffed with ice cream then reassembled and covered with chocolate sauce, not for the weak!!!. The last time I was there I had Colonel for dessert, a scoop of sorbet covered in vodka, give it ago it was interesting. To end yes I suppose there are other restaurants in St Omer that are good, but guys Charlie's just makes you feel that little bit more comfortable, like the decor, no fuss no bother.

• Visited July 2014

York
“A great taste of the region”
Reviewed June 30, 2014 via mobile

Chose this place for the reasonably priced but interesting menu with lots of French specialities we wanted to try. I had a lovely seafood salad for started and my boyfriend opted for snails..new to us both but tasty. A local sausage not unlike white pudding made a tasty main and a delicate set custard pastry and reasonably priced wine topped it off. Good value and good service. Highly recommend.

Didcot
“Good honest French food”
Reviewed May 4, 2014 via mobile

Re visited last week. Still good. Menu 14.80, wide choice of food, very tasty, served well. Recommended it to several fellow caravanners on site, they all gave high praise too, in fact one couple went 3 times in a week!

• Visited April 2014
2 Thank anniflower
Sydney, Australia
“Fantastic find”
Reviewed May 1, 2014 via mobile

We have been to Paul Bocuse and this restaurant rates with his. Wonderful food at a very reasonable price. Father and mother cook the food upstairs and their daughter is the very busy waitress collecting the dishes from the dumb waiter.

Marlborough, United Kingdom
“This Restaurant is a class act !!”
Reviewed April 1, 2014

Prior to staying over in St Omer recently one Monday evening, I read many reviews of Restaurants that would be open, and I eventually narrowed the choice down to 3. Myself and my wife chose The St Charles, as the menus appealed to us. We chose 2 fixed price menus at 18 and 26 Euro respectively, and also enjoyed 2 Kir Royales, a pitcher of House white and a half bottle of superb Vacqueyras. With coffee, the bill was approx. 80 Euro.
The quality of food was superb. As someone with a love of cooking, I am always impressed when I eat something that tastes as if it's from another planet. My seafood starter of scallops and Crevettes in a rich sauce, followed by Magret of Duck and the cheesboard were all wonderful. My wife had a dish of carmelised onion, smoked salmon and egg served on a toast, followed by Filet of Pork with a cream sauce and an Apple Tart which was faultless !
As well as the food being superb, the service was attentive, but unhurried (how I like it !), the decor is classically french, the furniture extremely comfortable, and the tableware was all beautifully elegant, sparklingly clean, and well presented. This is often overlooked, but it is so important to the overall look and feel of a restaurant. We were the first diners to arrive, but as others arrived, and the evening progressed, the atmosphere improved.
While I know that all reviews are subjective and beholden to personal tastes and preferences, I can truly recommend this restaurant on every level. Superb Value, at a realistic price. You would struggle to get anywhere near to this quality in England for the money/

Visited March 2014