“A Gem near the Cathedral”

Restaurant Chez Tante Fauvette
Ranked #3 of 91 Restaurants in Saint-Omer
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed September 29, 2013

Delightful, retro, cosy restaurant. Delicious, simple menu, made all the better for having Steely Dan and Jaco Pastorius playing quietly on the sound system. The charming owner, who is chef, waiter and washer-upper has really good English but allowed me to try out my French on him. Only 16 covers and only open at the end of the week so make sure you book.

2  Thank Dave J

Reviewed August 27, 2013

We have visited twice now, each time with friends. We all enjoyed the food and the atmosphere. The menu is small but perfectly formed. The service attentive. The room is small but there are lots of fun things to play with and look at. Will defintely keep going back. Don't ever change, Olivier!

1  Thank BecsWilson
Reviewed July 27, 2013

Market fresh food, cooked with love and attention, in the most quirky surroundings, with the Chef and owner, Olivier on hand to give advice, and to talk you through the menu.....what could you possibly not like. We will be back.......

2  Thank hughmurrell
Reviewed July 26, 2013

Tante Fauvette is lovely. Small, quirky, and interesting, with a charming, welcoming proprietor who both cooks and serves simple, unpretentious but delicious and filling meals. The menu is limited to three choices for each course but we didn't mind that. Everything was perfectly fresh and full of flavour. The wine list is short but well-chosen. We would go on a day trip to St Omer just to have dinner here and we thoroughly recommend it for a most enjoyable, relaxing evening.

2  Thank Poppins2
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Chez Tante Fauvette is one of my favourite restaurants and with many such things, I always worry that its never the same when you return. However, Fauvette doesn't cease to amaze - with the continued high quality of food and the excellent service - its still one of my favourite eating places.

On our last visit the restaurant (on our way through to the Le Mans 24 hour Race) wasn't too busy, which meant that the meal wasn't rushed, nor was the chat!

I started with Mussels in honey - superb! And then pieces of Filet of pork cooked in whey! Absolutely lovely. This came with market-fresh vegetables.

If there is any criticism at all, I felt that the cheese was rather too limited with a choice of one! In this part of France where cheese varieties abound - I dont think its unreasonable to see a slightly larger selection.

We took Olivers advice on the wine and had a Catalonian Red, which was slightly too thin. We should have gone for his first choice which was a Cahors red!

Fauvette still remains on my list of "got to go back again... and again"

2  Thank tullidge