“Delicious”

Cuisines: French
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed March 30, 2013

As soon as we walked in to this restaurant, I felt at home. It is very comfortable and interestingly decorated without being too formal. We had booked a table and were welcomed at the door by Kate who speaks excellent English. She explained the various options on the menu and was very friendly. We chose from the 23 euro menu. There was also 16 euro and you could choose to have two or three courses on each. The food was really delicious and you could taste that it was freshly made from scratch. We had the pork fillet with prunes and lamb shank which my husband said just fell off the bone. You got a good portion and the vegetables were interesting and slightly unusual. We had a half litre pichet of wine from blackboard. Everything, including the puds, were lovely and well presented. Kate's husband Cedric is the chef and everything is well prepared and cooked by him.

St Omer is only about 35 minutes from Eurotunnel and the restaurant is very near main square which has parking and some interesting shops. This makes it very convenient for a day trip from UK or, as we did, on way there or back from holiday.

1  Thank alandsusan

Reviewed March 22, 2013

What a lovely restaurant. The ambience was wonderful, the service was spot-on and the food was out of this world. I thoroughly recommend eating at La Belle Époque. We had dinner from the €23 menu and each course was lovely. I had scallops and my wife had goats cheese to start with, followed by rump steak and tenderloin. We finished with profiteroles and I had the cheese, together with a carafe of house red. Wonderful.

1  Thank Rick_the_Roman
Reviewed March 22, 2013

Remember the first time you tasted really good traditional French cooking? Where food was served with pride and a smile? Where the table was yours for as long as you wanted it, and it was your positive duty to the chef and patronne to eat and drink as much as you could,and then sit back with a smile on your face and reflect that the world isn't too bad a place?
Then, I can assure you, you will be able to recreate this experience, as we did last weekend at La Belle Epoque. How great that simple, well-run gems like this still exist just a couple of hours from Dover!!

1  Thank kippercatSurreyUk
Reviewed February 25, 2013

After reading other reviews of this place, we decided to test the waters, and we were not disappointed. This is a nice sized restaurant, but one of it's most attractive features is the space it allows between tables. You don't feel like you're enjoying your neighbour's dinner as well as your own, let alone their conversation. They don't try to squeeze in as many people as possible. It's a very calm ambiance - almost like you're in somebody's home.

The welcome was warm, and we were respectfully addressed by name upon arrival (we had made a reservation). The restaurant was full of locals, which is always a good sign.

We had one 16 euro menu and one 23 euro menu, and from both, the food was divine. The rate of service was perfect. We never felt rushed, but we could get attention when we needed it. My husband started with the snails and followed up with the turkey with a mushroom cream sauce, and I started with the most wonderful foie gras (see photo) and followed that with fillet of pork with a prune and armagnac sauce. I wish I could have licked my plate clean.

My husband had the cheese to finish and I had the creme brulee. It was a great way to spend a lazy Sunday afternoon, and I'm torn between telling everyone I know to go to this place, and keeping it quiet so it hopefully remains unspoiled. But this is well worth a visit. It's fantastic value for money, but more importantly, the food shouldn't be passed up.

2  Thank wygfo5
Reviewed December 17, 2012

In St Omer Xmas shopping and visited this excellent restaurant for lunch.
The meal was excellent and delicious and I would recommend that when visiting St Omer eat at this cosy restaurant

3  Thank basingboy