“Konoba Marino Gracisce”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Konoba Marino

Konoba Marino
Ranked #548 of 1,168 Restaurants in Istria
Cuisines: European, Croatian
Good for: Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
UK
“Konoba Marino Gracisce”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2014

Very traditional: including the fact that lunch isn't served until 2 p.m.., bit it's worth the waiting for. Its signature dish is Manestra, which is a hearty soup of vegetables, pulses and pasta. This is worth knowing, since most restaurants don't serve it during the summer (Istrians are pretty austere about seasons.) It's excellent, and the Marino serves it in a generous tureen. They've also won prizes for it! Its inland food - pasta with game sauce, terrific home made sausages with sauteed potatoes or sauerkraut if you want. Excellent local wine. Price is ridiculous: lunch for two about £14 with tip....and you get a complimentary dessert of fritule and krostulje (little doughnuts and deep fried pastries, freshly made in house.) The service is homely and very kind. I happened not to be feeling well that day and the waitress assured me that if I just wanted the soup that was fine; then she brought me a plate so that if I felt like it I could also pick at my husband's generous platter of sausage and accompaniments - which I did.

Gracisce is a wonderful place to visit including houses from the 15C, in a stunningly beautiful part of central Istria. The other reason why the Konoba Marino is important is that it is very difficult to find anywhere else to eat in the region: even Pazin, a large town by Istrian standards, is very short of restaurants, and other small hill towns such as Pican haven't as much as a cafe.

• Visited July 2014

Camberley, United Kingdom
“Worth visiting”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2014

We had a lovely lunch ,great istrian food. Worth visiting , we took some friends there,they where impressed with the food quality and the whole atmosphere around the place

• Visited May 2014
Zurich, Switzerland
“Don't go there”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2013

I had dinner there in June 2013 with my girlfriend. We were looking for a strategic place in Istria to be able to move wherever we wanted the next day. Gracisce is on a hill quite in the middle of Istria and it was highly recommended by our very trusted guide (Routard) which in Croatia disappointed us a bit. Gracisce is a very small medieval village with only this restaurant which also offers rooms. According to the guide they should have served great food but, according to our experience the food was very poor and the way they serve it is even worse. We ordered 2 different type of pasta, both with a Istrian sauce with meat. As second dish we decided to share Istrian sausages. First time in my life we were served the second dish a couple of minutes before the first ones...The two different pastas were served on the same plate and we were brought some bread which I would bet it was defrosted. To complete this great experience the waitress decided to take my dish away while I was having the last forkful. If you want to try the worst Croatia can offer, give it a try otherwise try something else...not difficult to find something better.

• Visited June 2013