“Great food and always something new.”
Review of Sideoats Cafe & Bakery - CLOSED

Sideoats Cafe & Bakery
Cuisines: Soups
Reviewed January 21, 2013

Our family ate at Sideoats Cafe and Bakery after joining a deer lease Menard county last year. It only took one visit to Sideoats Cafe and Bakery to become regulars. We all tried something new every visit and not once we're we disappointed. Service was always great as well even with the Sunday lunch crowd and every table filled. I would highly recommend this place and don't be fooled into thinking it's just a good place for a small town. I'm certain they would do just as well in any city in America, large or small. Try a pie while you're there. It doesn't matter what kind, they are ALL GREAT!

Reviewed January 19, 2013

We came to Menard "kind of" looking for some pecans. Having read the reviews for Sideoats on Google Maps, we decided to have lunch while in town. What a very pleasant surprise. Everything had a wonderful flavor -- carefully seasoned, high quality ingredients, beautifully presented. We had tomato basil soup and a beautiful little mixed green salad with homemade lemon vinaigrette; and the special of the day, fried shrimp along with barbecue brisket soup (wow) and the prettiest slaw. I wanted a slice of every pie for dessert, but we had some of the yummy bakery cookies. Our server and the manager made us feel very welcome and the whole place was comfortable. You would have to travel a long way to find anything finer. After poking around town looking at the old houses, we almost went back to get more cookies. :-)

Reviewed November 24, 2012

I just want to add my voice to the list of satisfied customers who eat at Side Oats. My wife, who is English, has gotten their catfish, and thought it was excellent. The fries are golden, crunch, and hot, every time. My wife and I have eaten there at least a few times a year since the restaurant opened. We have developed the habit of making sure we stop there when traveling to San Angelo from Fredericksburg to visit family.

I usually get their patty melt on rye in a basket, but I have had burgers and other things on the menu, and they are always fresh, original, reasonably priced, and quick. There are always at least a few people there, no matter what time of day. Even at lunch, travelers will be able to stop for a meal and be on their way quickly, with full stomachs and happy faces.

On our most recent visit, the day after Thanksgiving, we encountered a young female waitress who doesn't seem to know how to smile. She doesn't know how to keep the tea glass full, either. I wrote on the sales ticket, "No tip for poor service." This young lady will either get better at waitressing, or she'll move on. I don't hold the restaurant responsible for the bad service this time. The young lady was new to the job, I'm guessing. But, if I get the same kind of poor service on future visits, I'll count it against the management. This young lady may learn that service with smile will lead to tips that put a smile on her face, along with everybody else's.

Although we were only passing through, my parents used to have a farm in Menard County, and they know quite a few of the locals. There are occasionally a few ladies, including soime of my parent's old friends, sitting around a big table in the corner playing what looks like bridge, and having a grand time. It adds to the ambiance. Makes you feel comfortable and welcomed.

I'm basing my rating on all the visits we have made to Side Oats, not just the last one. Everybody has a bad day occasionally.

One more thing. The place is clean, including the restrooms. This is important to the overall experience of any business.

Reviewed October 29, 2012

We had our noon meal in this small Texas town and it was the best choice for miles around. The service was good, the food was great and the atmosphere was quiet, which we like. We will be back from time-to-time. The cookies were homemade and that's all we had room for for our dessert. Yummy.

Reviewed July 2, 2012 via mobile

U have to stop here. I wish this was a chain. I would go out of my way to eat here. Sadly, we only go through this town a fee times a year. Very unique food. Fresh and yummy. Not cheap but not too bad. Worth it!!