“Great fish restaurant”

La tantina de la Playa
Ranked #5 of 57 Restaurants in Bidart
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Large groups, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed July 11, 2012

Booking is essential if you want to be sure of a table at this beach-side fish restaurant. We were the first to arrive shortly before their 8pm opening time, by 8.15 it was almost full and we were still the only English people there. I don’t understand the comments about a lack of spoken English there. All the waiters seemed to have enough English that you could get by even if you speak no French at all and the young barman spoke excellent English. The fish was extremely fresh, prepared in view of some of the tables and cooked to perfection.

Reviewed May 19, 2012

After reading some good reviews on TA, my family and I visited this restaurant 7th May 2012 (evening). We arrived early and were lucky to get a table as the restaurant was fully booked (bank holiday day in France). The decor has a Basque & marine theme, one side of the restaurant looks over the sea and it's a great place to watch the sunset. The menu is not extensive which is a good sign and the freshly caught fish/seafood is on display at the entrance. I took the Ttoro a Basque fish/seafood soup, The dish was excellent and very filling. The fish, mussels, cockles, langoustine etc.. were delicious. The soup was accompanied by a nice rouille with croutons and grated gruyere. 20 euros not exactly cheap but the ingredients were top quality. My sister was very happy with her sole a la plancha (19 euros) served with a baked potato and my mother loved her tomato and basil cod steak served with Spanish style rice (14 euros). I finished the meal sharing a well made Cafe Liegois with my sister. The staff was very friendly and efficient.

Reviewed January 23, 2012

Went here on a stormy day in October and had a great lunch overlooking the sea. Had classic fish soup, followed by a grilled fish platter. Prices were reasonable, the soup was wonderful, and the fish well prepared. The waiter concerned that I was on my own, brought me a magazine to look at, while waiting for my food. Very friendly service, not much english spoken, but they were very accepting of my bumbled French. It is a small local place visited by many locals, a bit hard to find, rustic decor, but really good food, friendly service, and reasonable prices. The only negative was it was too much food, couldn't finish it, and I wish I had been there with many other people so we could have ordered more things and been able to try what looked like some incredible selections on the other tables. It really is a place that groups of people could go to, order platters of food, and share them.

Reviewed September 9, 2011

Just back from an amazing lunch overlooking the atlantic. Mussels just a bit larger than a quarter, sweet and succulent as were the little neck like clams, again small and tender and what I would call razor clams, like nothing you have likely eaten. Served with bread, wine, a dorade white and sweet with head. Toma and I shared the cheek meat which he said is the sweetest! Lunch was followed by cappuccino a shared tarimisu and a sweet dessert wine complimentary of the owner, .delicious!

Reviewed July 4, 2010

excellent seafood. not much English spoken, so it was difficult to understand the name of the fish in English, but the preparation was excellent.

1  Thank DRT1404