“Would stay there again”

Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Rouffach
Brussels, Belgium
“Would stay there again”
Reviewed August 10, 2011

We spent one night at this charming hotel, which is located in a quiet village just a few km away from the highway. The budget room we received was rather large and confortable, a bit old-fashioned, but functional and with a couple of touches that gave it some personality. The bathroom was really small, but clean. We had not booked breakfast, but the next morning we decided to eat there as the breakfast room and the food were very inviting. It was a good choice in the end!
When we arrived, the hotel parking was full, but we were able to park across the street for free (we arrived late and left very early... charges may apply during the day time).
We did not use any other facility of the hotel, but this hotel was a very pleasant surprise and will surely book it again whenever we drive by that area!

Room Tip: Maybe ask for rooms with a larger bathroom if you're spending more than one night there...
  • Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank afs14

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Turkish first
Diest
Reviewed July 28, 2011

if you go to this restaurant you should definitely opt for a gourmet weekend. The cook and his staff serve you a wonderfyul diner. This is certainly a "must do" if you like gastronomy.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 12, 2010

One Visit too many, one door too few
I have been to Rouffach six times; this year we chose Hostellerie A La Ville De Lyon, a hotel of two parts. There is a luxury part and a budget part. This possibly explains the missed review this hotel gets. The budget part has the use of all the facilities of the hotel and the hotel is very well appointed. There is a bar area cosier than many I have seen, a pretty outdoor eating/drinking area and two top class restaurants, one gourmet and expensive, the other traditional serving excellent meals and is surprisingly moderately priced.
We stayed in the budget part of the hotel, arguing how bad can it be and we don’t stay in the room for long each day anyway. I am afraid that was a great mistake. The bedroom was small, but acceptable, pleasantly appointed with simple furniture and light colours. However, the en-suite facilities, the most important facilities of the hotel were less than adequate. They had no door, or extractor fan that I could see! I was astounded. I have never come across anything like that in the whole of my travelling life and I have travelled. I am not used to such a situation and feel I could not ever get used to such or want to, nor can I understand the reason for it. Furthermore the back of the toilet basin was encrusted with discoloured lime deposits, ideal for trapping germs and whatever. In addition the shower was so small it was impossible to shower without significantly touching the shower curtain. I wonder if they put up a fresh, clean curtain for each new guest? No, no, I’d better not think about that.
After describing such pestilence, it seems somewhat churlish to mention that the bed made my backache. The only bed to do so on this holiday and I struggle to think of another example, but then my memory is not as good as it once was. I’m relying on that to get over this experience.
Annoyingly we were booked in for three nights. I like to move on even if it is only a few miles and rarely stay anywhere for more than two nights. I mentioned my problems to he receptionist the next morning, only to be told the hotel was full and no other rooms were available. Strange because many rooms were being changed and ‘cleaned’ that morning and so were empty at that point and it would have been easy for me to change rooms at that time. Clearly I was upset about the condition of my room and would have been satisfied with a move to a better room. I was not wanting an upgrade to a luxury room, another basic with better facilities would do. I had noticed that many of the rooms were different in layout and nearly all had a door and a bigger facilities area. There was a chance that the new guest would not mind facilities without a door and a lime scale infested toilet. Clearly I did not and I also thought that that particular receptionist was most off hand, (others were ok, but I did not mention my problem again). Much later in the day I was begrudgingly offered another room that was little better, so did not move. I would not stay at this hotel again without knowing in advance what room I had. My room was number 45.
The experience had the potential to spoil my holiday and it did. I’d had a love affair with Rouffach, visiting nearly every year and it’s over all because of a non-existent door and an upstart receptionist.

Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Hightrav3ller

Travelers are raving about these Rouffach hotels

Berkhamsted, Herts
Reviewed February 27, 2009

We booked this little gem as an overnight stay enroute to skiing in Switzerland. I used my usual internet booking site and was really looking for something budget but with charachter. This hotel far out did my expectations. A beautiful traditional french building in the centre of a pretty little town. The entrance is a large flag-stoned reception with friendly staff to meet you. Soft jazz palying in the background and a large fire burning, guests milling and enjoying drinks in the lovely bar. Mostly french spoken but one of the girls spoke good english. Our check-in was fast, (no credit card taken) and a lift to the second floor (stairs to the top, attic rooms) We had a small budget room in the attic, double bed and extra guest bed for our son. All very clean but very basic. (that is all I paid for). We enjoyed a beer in the room while watching the second half of the rugby and then languished in the beautiful swimming pool and jaccuzzi, which we had sole use of. There is a lovely Michelin starred resturant next door but a prior booking is required. Several resurants in town though! Following a good nights sleep we really enjoyed the lovely breakfast with the best bread I have ever eaten, boil your own eggs, meats, cheese croissants and lots of lovely lovely cakes and goodies. Even a bottle of bubbly and glasses (not sure if this was just for valentines day) very nice touch anyway. After we had stuffed our faces we then languished in the jaccuzzi again before packing up and continuing our journey. This really was an excellent stay and I highly recommend this as an overnight stop. Lovely suites avaliable too.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank SusanG99
german in yorkshire
Reviewed June 25, 2008

French style reception. You say your name and get key into hand with few words about the whereabouts of room. The room was minimalist alike. Very sparse furnishing, walls totally empty. Clean though. Great view of posh castle hotel. Cheap hotel and so value for money I guess. Michelin star restaurant next door.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank janpki
The Netherlands
Reviewed July 11, 2006

We had a perfect time in the hotel.
A big aircondioned room (junior suite), bathroom with bath (so no shower). There is an elevator, English speaking receptionist, swimmingpool, jaccuzi, nice terrace in the hotel. You can choose out of two restaurants. One with a Michelin star (recommended) and one less special but good.
Places to go to are Mulhouse and Colmar. And bring a big car to do the "route de vin".
Our advice is: Don 't go cheap. Don 't go for a Michelin star restaurant and stay the night in a low budget room. Their arrangements (eating and sleeping, like we did) are really priceworthy.
We will go again when in the neighborhood.

• Stayed July 2006
3 Thank myhelp
Dusseldorf, Germany
Reviewed October 16, 2005

Michelin-star-decorated Philippe Bohrer - a student of Paul Bocuse - is one of the world's most sophisticated chefs who celebrates a highly innovative cuisine. When we enjoyed dinner some months ago we noticed that Bohrer also has a hotel that displayed very nice public rooms and a beautiful swimming-pool. Besides, Rouffach is a charming medieval town close to Colmar in the heart of the Alsace wine region. Image our anticipation when we had the opportunity for an overnight stay. Unfortunately, we called just in the afternoon to make a reservation and we could only get the two last double rooms. What a disappointment! The rooms were incredibly small and the walls were covered with a brownish carpet. The shower was 50 by 50 centimeters. The bathroom was so small that the sink was placed in the room itsself. To be fair, they have better rooms and the rate was really low, but about one third of the hotel's rooms belong to this category of rooms. While the swimming pool and sauna are really nice, breakfast was another disappointment. They served low-quality orange juice and the bread was from the day before. It was impossible to get a slice of lemon with the tea (from a cheap tea bag). Image a guest whose palate was pampered with star-awarded dining the evening before and is offered junk food for breakfast! Another disappointment was dining. Okay, we have expected that the gourmet restaurant was booked out when we made our reservation. Okay, that the other restaurant which serves regional fare was also full was bad look. But in such situations, service plays a crucial role. They could have offered us at least a snack at a table in the bar (they HAD tables and they HAD four hours time to prepare). They could have offered us to make a reservation in another restaurant in town. But nothing of this. Instead, they gave us very vague directions ("near the church you find restaurants"), and when we arrived at the only restaurant we could find, it was also completely booked. However, after some pledging, they rearranged tables and we got a nice regional dinner. To be fair, I do not mind low priced 2-star-hotels with 2-star-rooms and 2-star-service. What I do not like, is that the outer impression is like a Relais and Chateaux and that you land in rooms which are like those in a ghetto joint. And a tip to gourmet travellers: Reserve a table at Philippe Bohrer's restaurant well in advance, enjoy a world-class-lunch or dinner - and stay in a different place!

10 Thank traveller1959
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rouffach
Chateau d'Isenbourg
Hotel Spa Restaurant Domaine Du Moulin
Domaine de Beaupre
Domaine de Beaupre
#1 of 4 in Guebwiller

Been to Hostellerie a la Ville de Lyon? Share your experiences!