“Great Location” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ma-Joly

Ma-Joly
Ranked #6 of 53 Restaurants in Tuban
Cuisines: European, Indonesian
Good for: Large groups, Scenic view, Romantic, Business meetings, Bar scene, Special occasions
Dining options: Drinks, Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Such an enchanted setting with a magnificient backdrop of the Indian Ocan makes Ma Joly a special destination for those seeking an intimate and unique place.
Melbourne, Australia
“Great Location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2013

Had a very enjoyable happy hour with snacks but warning, can be expensive if you order items not on the happy hour menu.

Visited December 2012

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Adelaide
“Vegetarians Beware !!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2012

This restaurant's website advertises that a "vegetarian menu is available upon request"...well..we asked and no menu was produced!..the options BLUNTLY offered were salad, grilled vegetables or pasta..the pasta either with pesto, vegetables OR tomato..no choice of pasta type mind you! And what would have been wrong with including all 3 of these with the pasta! The warning bells were ringing then but we persisted. My coral perch fish was ok..nothing flash and certainly not worthy of the hefty price tag but my wife's pasta was stone cold and virtually inedible and was a miserable entree sized effort with some pesto...no parmesan cheese was offered.Now this is simply not good enough for a fine dining restaurant. I should point out we are not fussy, hard to please people and have eaten heaps of good meals at local warungs as well as establishments like Ma-Joly.
The pain did not stop at the meal..we had to wait 50 minutes for this meal on an obviously quiet night and we were seated for a good 40 minutes drink less...no service at all! I assume they actually serve wine as there were glasses on the table but no one came near us with a wine list or asked if we wanted any drinks at all after we had finished our initial drinks. There were staff present but goodness knows what they were doing...just loitering about, it seemed. They certainly paid us no attention at all. We asked for the bill and promptly paid and left...we couldn't be bothered with the whole complaining bit, then have the chef appear etc because it wasn't only the food that left a bad taste in our mouths....we got the distinct impression that we were not wanted this night and that everything was too much trouble. Lift your game Ma-Joly... we will never be back!..

• Visited December 2012
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Denpasar, Bali, Indonesia
“Dinner at Ma-Joly”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2012

About two months a go,I have been to Ma-Joly restaurant,Tuban,Bali with a couple of friends...they are Japanese...I were organize their trip in this island.Some of their planing was had a dinner at Ma-Joly restaurant...They said to me..in Japanese language..Baga-kun(my nick name),kono bashou ha sugoi...subarashii desu...arigatou!

• Visited August 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
“Beautiful beachside sunset wedding”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2012

I discovered Ma Joly one afternoon whist walking along the beach in Tuban, what drew me to the restaurant was that it was perfectly situated on the beachfront, an outdoor pagola area with Roman style pillars outlooking the ocean. This is where I would have my wedding 1 year later.

My fiancé and I went back to the restaurant a few nights later for dinner. There were no vacant tables outside so after enjoying a few cocktails in the bar area we were moved shortly after to a dimly lit table which was very ambient. The scattered garden lights and background music created the perfect romantic look and feel. Our meals were exceptional, natural oysters were divine, Tasmanian salmon & wagyu beef were impressive, not only the flavors but also the presentation was of a very high standard. We also enjoyed a complimentey bread basket, starter and pre-dessert. My dessert of chocolate mousse & raspberry sorbet was delectable!

My initial meeting with Fiers (Event Manager) was in August 2011 (1 year prior to our wedding). Over the next 11 months leading up to our wedding we maintained constant contact via email, discussing in detail the proceedings of the ceremony and the reception. Fiers was always very efficient, professional and knowledgeable. He was flexible to ensure we received exactly what we wanted in terms of our menu and beverage selection. No detail was too small for Fiers he was always too happy to help and research various details, including organizing the bridal boquets, band and our amazing profitter roll tower which was made by the in house chef.
Fiers also engaged Bali wedding palace who took care of all of the legalities of the wedding and organized the celebrant, liturgy and also escorted us to the consulate prior to the wedding.

My partner and I arrived at The Sandi Phala pool villa where we stayed for 5 nights.
We LOVED the beautiful villa with our own private plunge pool off the balcony aswell as the king sized bed and beautiful intricate Balinese style double wash room with huge stone bath and so much character.
The service we received was also amazing, our stay included daily al a cart breakfast whether it be the omlette, eggs Benedict, pancakes, fruit plate, freshly baked bread basket, fresh juices or espresso coffees it was all fantastic!
Our sheets were turned down each evening and robes placed on our bed with either a small gift or treat consisting of macaroons, cookies, incense.. all with a beautiful scripted verse, these little touches made all the difference!
The complimentey L'Occitane body & bath products were a hit aswell as the complimentary Bintangs & bottled water refreshed in our mini bar daily.

A few days leading up to the wedding our band which we had locked in 6 months prior cancelled due to a family emergency, Fiers was able to find a replacement that exactly fit the style of music we wanted. The acoustic Trio that he found were fantastic, our guests could not stop raving about them.

On the wedding day it's self Fiers always made himself available throughout the day for any last minute concerns that I / bridal party had. He oversaw and managed all of the set up of the beach ceremony and restataunt as per my specifications. The day ran very smoothly which allowed my husband and I to enjoy our special day without worry. It was a most enjoyable, relaxed and memorable occassion for us and our 80 guests. The wedding far exceeded my expectations with the help and guidance of Fiers he executed a beautiful, decadent wedding which we will always cherish! Many of our guests said 'it's the best wedding they had ever been to'!

My only constructive feedback would be that the serving sizes at the wedding were smaller than I had hoped for. Whilst the food was flavoursome & beautifully presented, if I were able to do it again I would have liked the opportunity to try the wedding menu prior to the day.

We will certainly be returning to Ma Joly / Sandi Phala villas in the near future. I highly reccomend it to anyone looking for a luxurious Bali beachside escape.

Perth, Australia
“Excellent experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2012 via mobile

This is a beautiful restaurant especially if you want an intimate meal as a couple or with friends. The food is excellent the staff are very attentive without being obtrusive the location right on the beach is lovely. The restaurant can arrange an intimate meal for 2 on the beach. More expensive than other places along the beach but worth it

• 4 of 5 bubbles

Been to Ma-Joly? Share your experiences!