“Disappointing”

Ma-Joly
Ranked #6 of 60 Restaurants in Tuban
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Such an enchanted setting with a magnificient backdrop of the Indian Ocan makes Ma Joly a special destination for those seeking an intimate and unique place.
Reviewed September 9, 2012

Met friends here for a 'splash out ' dinner prior to us leaving Bali. Great location but that was all that can be said. I ordered chicken dish for my main which was so overcooked and dry I could not eat it. When I mentioned this to the waitress, all she said was that she would tell the chef. At a restaurant that charges the prices that it does, I should have been offered another meal or had this taken off the bill. Another friend ordered a side of vegetables which we had to ask for and was finally bought out about halfway during the meal. Wine prices outrageous even for Bali. Would never recommend or return there.

Reviewed August 21, 2012

Except for the previous reviews of Emma T and Trish 176 it is hard to believe we ate at the same restaurant as the other reviewers! This was the worst restaurant experience of my life!

As it was our last night in bali we decided to go all out and have a top nosh with our friends to finish off our holiday. And without a doubt, the beach setting at Ma Joly’s is lovely. But on being seated I noticed large stains on the tablecloth which surprised me once I had seen the prices. More expensive than Melbourne prices – very expensive for Bali.

My friend ordered Lobster Bisque (RP85000)and had the exact same experience as Emmat T – totally horrible and she could not eat it, saying later that sewer water was a good description. The rest of us had the Minestrone soup (RP65000) which turned out to be a very small serve of very plain vegetable soup, nothing Minestrone-ish about it.

We then all ordered the Pan Seared Angus Beef Tornado – cooked medium (RP345000). When our meals arrived we all just looked at what had been served up to us and for the first time ever in my life I thought to myself “OMG – I am not eating that”. There was some sort of red meat on our plate, but I don’t know what the hell it was. It had a very strange smell and was virtually raw to boot. It came with what was allegedly a pepper sauce, but it was just some sort of tasteless insipid liquid. All of us felt the same way. After sawing away to get a tiny morsel and gingerly tasting it (yuk), pushing the potato stuff around our plates we decided to ask for this meat to be cooked some more.

We were all given a fresh new meal but once served we again all agreed we could not possibly eat it. I called the waitress over and asked to see the menu again. I was not mistaken – it definitely said Angus Beef. I told her what we had was not Angus beef. She said she would get the chef. I said I would rather see the manager. However the chef arrived at our table and I again stated this was not Angus beef. He said yes it is imported from Australia and is Angus beef. I told him we were Australians and we ate Angus beef on a regular basis and that what we had been served was not Angus beef. He very quickly folded, apologized and said we would not be charged for it.

We called for the bill and left pronto.

I notice from previous reviews that someone called Fiers Rachman is involved somehow with this restaurant, maybe he is the manager but I am thinking he was not around this particular Friday night. Something very weird is sure going on with this restaurant. How can the food be fantastic one minute and completely inedible the next?

Certainly won’t be going back to find out such was my utter disappointment with this restaurant.

Reviewed July 21, 2012

We had the romantic dinner for 2 in our own private gazebo on the beach at sunset. It is expensive but it is a 5 course dinner and you cant get that many places in the world. Give it a go

Reviewed July 15, 2012

My husband and I got married at Ma Joly just last month and cannot praise the staff/service/atmosphere/venue/food enough!!
Fiers, the wedding planner was fantastic!! Along with all the other staff at Ma Joly, he helped us make sure everything was perfect for our special day (which is was)! Every single person who came to our wedding fell in love with Bali and Ma Joly and even one couple want to do the same for their wedding!!! Although there was no sunset on the night, the atmosphere/beach view was just breath-taking! The food was amazing- we had buffet menu and we were able to pick and choose what we wanted on the menu so that there was all types of food to please everybody! And the food was well priced! For drinks we had a tab, list of mocktails, cocktails, beer, water and softdrinks. There were no complaints from the drinks either!!
We stayed at Sandi Phala for two nights and absolutely loved every minute of it! The staff were so lovely, attending to our every need. The service was fantastic and everyone was so friendly always!!
We also did one of the romantic dinners on the beach at Ma Joly on our last night in Bali- WOW! Perfect setting for a romantic couples dinner, service and food- excellent!!
We plan to go back to Ma Joly next year for our one year anniversary :)

1  Thank Samantha K
Reviewed July 14, 2012

Our driver suggested this restaurant for lunch and we were extremely impressed. Every aspect was great and we will revisit next time we are in Bali.