“Of course I can cook...............now!”

Anika Balinese Cooking Class
and up
Balinese Rijsttafel Dinner at Warung Nia
Ranked #1 of 20 Tours in Tuban
Reviewed November 6, 2012

A wonderfully informative and instructive experience. Our host was a wealth of knowledge and struck the perfect balance between learning and fun.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

I really enjoyed learning the cooking techniques of Bali (and many other Indonesian cuisines). There was quite a lot of hands-on in this class, and though we all shared cooking duties and only so much can be taught in 4 hours, I feel like I know enough to try some things at home! I think if you're going up to Ubud, there may be even better classes for a bit better value, but this one was really fun and tasty and is a great option if you're in the south. The hotel is good, too.

1  Thank unseulfeu
Reviewed November 2, 2012

Excellent cooking school, driver was waiting for me before due pickup time, well organised , friendly and a great markets tour, speaking excellent English, small class size was a bonus, and the excellent cooking experience , plus helpers, and the other participants made this cooking and eating, learning, and cultural experience thoroughly enjoyable and worth double every cent. Thanks the Anika Cooking Class Team.Roger Miles Brisbane Australia.

2  Thank RJMGO
Reviewed November 1, 2012

What a great experience. The class was very informative and hands all morning. I highly recommend the course, to add a new dimension to your cooking skills. I definitely learnt a lot today.

1  Thank Peter D
Reviewed October 28, 2012

Starting with a walk through the local market in Kuta we learned about traditional ingredients and there applications.
The guide was very informative and took the time to explain each item in detail and was happy to answer the many questions the group had.
We were also shown traditional cooking tools all that are hand made.

Arriving at the cooking school we were met with cold drinks and fruit and some lovely traditional sweets and given a booklet containing a ton of information regarding what we would be cooking and how do do it when we get home!

The class was held upstairs on a large balcony with ample ceiling fans to take the edge of the hot day.
The atmospher was calming and friendly.

Again our guide was amazing in explaining each item and he really got us involved in the preparation.

Now for the chopping and the cooking!

Each of us was given a some duties and off we went chopping up the lovely fresh ingredients filling the air with a lovely aroma.

After we had chopped it was time to grind!

Each were given a traditional Mortar and pestle which is more flat to the ones I am use to.
This was hard work even for a big boy like me but it was great, almost therapeutic (almost)!
After being showed the best technique to use we soon had the paste we were working so hard to find.

Moving over to some very large wok type pans we began to cook each meal again having each step explained to us and all of us taking in turn to get a feel for what was going on in the pan and again showed technique.

Now the best bit EATING !

Each of us thoroughly enjoyed sitting down to the massive amount of food we had all had a hand in preparing and chat at length about the day and how we all enjoyed it.

Being able to taste the flavours and knowing what they were was fantastic for me.
I love cooking and knowing what I'm eating.

After we had finished we were then shown how to make traditional green pudding and the most amazing banana fritters you will ever have.

Over all this was an amazing day and was everything I had hoped for.

I have no issue recommending this to anyone wanting to step outside the normal tourist events and getting a real Balinese cooking experience.
I will be coming back next time I am here!

*Number of people in group - 5.
*Air conditioned transfers- YES.
*Friendly and informative- 100%.

4  Thank number0six