“Enjoyed this very much”

and up
Balinese Rijsttafel Dinner at Warung Nia
Ranked #1 of 21 Tours in Tuban
Reviewed September 8, 2012

We did the morning class so that we could experience the local markets first. This was well worthwhile and very interesting - I highly recommend this. Then we headed to the Anika compund for the cooking. Firstly, the setting is lovely, Balinese style with lots of wood and luch greenery and very open, airy and clean. The toilets are also lovely and clean (important info!). We were served a light and lovely breakfast (quite different to anything I had tried before) and then started the class. We were a large group but all had a chance to play a role chopping, grinding and cooking. The hosts made sure to involve everyone and it was a very enjoyable couple of hours. We then feasted on all the food we had made (and there was a lot!). We were then presented a certificate and cookbook to take away with us. The only improvement I think they could make is to allow pre-payment on the internet as there was a bit of a trek from the cooking school to the 'office' and then a bit of a lengthy process to pay. Other than that, I highly recommend this experience!

2  Thank its_hot_in_WA
"great morning"
in 12 reviews
"kuta market"
in 11 reviews
"picked up from our hotel"
in 15 reviews
"end result"

Reviewed September 1, 2012

I knew from the beginning on that I wanted to do a cooking course while I am in Bali.SInce we organised our trips all on location, so we were happy to find ANika Cooking class in the binder of our villa in Jimbaran. First we wanted to do the class on wednesday morning but it was already full, so we went on thursday, and there we ended up just being the two of us! That was great because we could learn so very much!
It was worth doing the morning class because we could go to a local market in the morning where our "teacher" explained us all the different ingredients we were going to use for cooking. He was wonderful and he gave us lots of tips for in the kitchen. The surrounding with lots of wood was very nice which made it even more special to cook there.
The highlight was when we could eat the delicious food we had made together with the chef cook.
I would definitively do it again!

Reviewed August 26, 2012

Booked into the cooking class, internet is definitely cheaper than booking outside by $25 US dollars. The guide was fantastic and full of experience and knowledge. Food was excellent and we had an interesting walk in the markets prior. This was fascinating and you get a lot of good tips here. Then of to the cooking school situared on an outside patio. We cut and grinded so many ingredients, you will never taste a better authetic satay sauce ever made from sratch or the many other dishes we made. After cooking, we sat and ate our beautiful food with wonderful company of others from all walks of life. There was constant hand washing and very clean set up. I highly recommend this activity and we had a cerficate and cookbook of all our recipes to take home. Transport was included as well.

1  Thank louise s
Reviewed August 25, 2012

This is my 3rd time, you think I would be able to cook, by now! But each year I return why because it is so much FUN. From when they pick you up, from where you are staying, in lovely super clean car until they deliver you home, around 5 hours later, it is full on. First its off to the local market where you learn so much about the spices, vegetables, the people & Balanese traditions. Back to the school, to cook up a storm, after a lovely morning tea with Hybiscus tea.
While preparing the food, the cooking teacher, explains a lot about Bali traditions, what the foods mean to them & how important it is in their celebrations. My cousin came to Bali for the 1st time & was asking me many questions, as you do, about Balinese ways, etc. I answered what I could
but I said you will find out the answers at Anika & she did. The food we prepared was excellant, yummy, fresh & light & certainly a lot of it! I would recommend Anika to everyone, a great adventure!

1  Thank Shazzie14