“Spa and morning cooking class were a real treat!”
Review of Anika Guest House

Anika Guest House
Ranked #7 of 21 Tuban B&B and Inns
Brisbane, Australia
“Spa and morning cooking class were a real treat!”
Reviewed July 5, 2011

We didn't stay at the guest house, but my boyfriend and I went to the spa on our third day in Bali and the cooking class with the market tour a few days later.

We went to the spa in the late evening, which was lovely and calming. The garden which it is situated in is absolutely beautiful, and I wish I could have taken a couple of photos! The foot spa was nice and the body massage was very relaxing. We also had a body scrub in our package, which made our skin nice soon after, though the next morning my sensitive skin was showing with red, itchy lumps all over my legs (so a little warning to people with sensitive skin!) I love how after we also got some ginger tea after everything, and the staff were friendly, which helped give the place a good atmosphere.

The Balinese cooking class, which is a little further up the small road from the spa was also a nice experience. It started early in the morning, with a trip to the market and learning about different foods and seeing how things are sold fresh each day. It was later that my boyfriend and I cooked in a group of 12 people with a wide range of ages and enjoyed our time learning about the different processes and cooking the Balinese way before trying each of the things we cooked and some very interesting things prepared for us. Must say that most of the foods were very spicy, but very tasty and our guide was very entertaining which gave a positive atmosphere and many laughs!
I'd warn about anyone who has trouble climbing sets of stairs though; those steps were so big and steep!! Being little, I almost had to climb up like a toddler does.

All up, the Anika group is wonderful, and extra thumbs up for the free transport from your hotel to the destinations. Definitely recommended!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank TinyLittleSilver

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Indonesian first
Ulladulla, Australia
Reviewed July 2, 2011

The food tasted amazing, the instructions were great and the company good, and although I learnt heaps and enjoyed the feast we cooked, the experience resulted in 2 days of food poisoning. It was the second last day of our trip and the last meal I ate so I have no doubt the "bali belly" situation I found myself in was definitely due to the food we cooked in the class. Food was pre-prepared and may have been sitting out before the class - I suspect either the chicken or the beef.....A further shock came previously to the belly ache and hot sweats - the bill was strangely inflated by an extra $25 on the quoted price......beware the Anika Cooking Class!

Room Tip: Try another cooking class