“Outstanding stay in a beautiful hotel”

Holiday Inn Resort Baruna Bali
Ranked #1 of 23 Hotels in Tuban
Reviewed February 8, 2011

I'll be honest, when my wife told me we were staying at the Holiday Inn in Tuban, I was not overly excited with the prospect as my past experiences with this chain have not always been good ones. However, I am really pleased to say that I was horribly wrong in my misgivings.

Check in was a breeze and the staff greeted us with warm and friendly smiles. Our bags were pretty much waiting for us in our room when we got there and I was happy to say that the room itself was great. We had a big suite right next to the restaurant (ask for it if you can get it!) and it was nice and close to the pool. The room was tastefully decorated and I have to say had the best pillows I've EVER had in ANY hotel (maybe I'm not your typical person in this regard) - I slept so incredibly well every night that now whenever we go anywhere, I always compare it to the Holiday Inn! We had both a large king size and a large single bed in our room (needed it for our 2 year old), as well as a decent size bathroom and a separate area which I guess people use to get ready as well as a series of lounges etc. We also had a nice verandah out the front but we chose not to use it much but we would have if we'd had the time.

The hotel grounds themselves are deceptively large and the place is really quite beautiful in terms of gardens, pools, cabanas, lounges and the like. I cannot recall going to a hotel before where there were ALWAYS cabanas free somewhere (because there seems to be so many) in the grounds. My wife and I often had a cabana near the pool but there were some that were a bit further away from poolside where many people retreated to in order to read a book. The one's I particularly liked where the ones overlooking the beach.

This hotel is a great option for families. The kids club is adequate and easy to organise. With a 2 year old, we had to pay some extra for babysitting but that was worth it for a few hours. The staff were great with our son and were very affectionate towards him which was nice to see. There is also a nice little playground that he spent a bit of time at. There is also loads of open space so it is possible to kick a ball around if you have older kids and they like doing that sort of thing. Sadly our lad became ill whilst there (nothing to do with the hotel) but they quickly called us out a doctor to come and see him and the staff continually asked after him over the following days. It gave us the impression they really cared for us and wanted to ensure we knew they'd do anything to help.

One of the best aspects of a Holiday Inn is that kids under 12 (I think that is what it is) eat for free. It means you end up spending a bit more time in the resort eating but the food was both affordable and enjoyable! The breakfast buffet is not massive but there is still plenty of choice. There were also plenty of options outside the hotel within easy walking distance if you so choose. There is also a 'cold stone' type ice cream bar concept which is a nice touch.

The pools were great and were a perfect temperature. Our son's swimming really came on in the large pool but he also spent many hours in the kid's pool using the many toys that the hotel provides. He was also very much enjoyed by the staff at the swim up bar. The gym was small but well equipped. They also have a room off to one side of this where you can go and relax, shower and have drinks after you've checked out and are waiting to go to the airport.

Whilst there, we visited the spa and had a really great experience. The massage itself was excellent and the setting was beautiful. Definitely worth it if you're into it.

The hotel is in Tuban which is a little distance from Kuta, certainly not far but not many people will want to walk to and fro each day if you want to go in for nightlife, shopping and more food options. However, it only took us about 10 minutes to stroll to Waterbom Park (TOTALLY worth it) and some of the other nearby attractions. The hotel is very security conscious and seemed very safe to us.

All in all, we rate this hotel very highly and whilst it may not be the most prestigious place out there, it is a definite option for families. We are hoping to have another trip to Bali in the next 12 months and this will most likely be where we stay.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
5  Thank TravelAddicts05
Write a ReviewReviews (1,589)

Reviewed February 4, 2011

The hotel has very lovely grounds and the breakfast was great, staff were always helpful.

The pool water was always warm and never refreshing. The free shuttle did not always turn up at stops at allocated times. Bedding was not clean on arrival but was quickly changed and sink was blocked in the bathroom, but that to was fixed in no time.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 30, 2011

I stayed at this property because I wanted something very nice after a week in a secluded area of Bali. This hotel did not disappoint with a very nice pool and rooms that were also rather nice. However, I think this hotel is a bit on the expensive side for Bali.

I reserved an ocean view room, which turned out to be not quite an ocean view. I had a great view of the pool and could walk out from the room through the back door straight to the pool, which was nice. I didn't complain even though I couldn't see the ocean. If you want to see the water, be sure to ask for the highest floor possible.

It's about a 20-minute walk to the main areas of Kuta where there are lots of places to eat (much cheaper than at the hotel). I would often walk there and then take a cab back (only cost a couple dollars at most). There is a path along the beach you can take that will get you to the main area.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled solo
3  Thank LucWise
Reviewed January 17, 2011

We stayed for 5 days to escape the cold. Got upgraded to a suite which was wonderful, spacious, clean. Bathroom had tub and separate shower. Bed was very comfortable. Internet access was very expensive, free access was offered at their outside bar with food/drink purchase, but we did not try that. The toilet did not shut off, engineering never showed up, fixed it myself. Food at the hotel was o.k., although pricey. There are inexpensive restaurants outside the hotel. We were impressed with the security but the "beach" left a lot to be desired. Not what one would expect in Bali, no white sand, despite efforts to clean it still was full of junk. I think that the beach is not hotel property. The pool, though, was beautiful and heated. The hotel is a bit off the beaten path, but we enjoyed that.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank WEISSBIER
Reviewed January 13, 2011

All in all this is a good hotel but not a great hotel. No problems with the rooms or the service, but in my opinion they are too pricey for food and drinks. Because of this we tended to eat elsewhere - the Green Garden across the road was really good (also as a massage spa). Also, some of the restaurants at the discovery in Kuta are good.

The location is right on the beach but we there is a stretch of the path to Kuta which is dirty and smelly and could do with someone looking after it.

Be prepared for the hawkers along the path outside the hotel. However, they are not pushy and i found them to be pleasant and a happy bunch.

I would probably look for somewhere else when we return to Bali.

1  Thank Andy G
Reviewed January 12, 2011

From the time we arrived until we left the staff were sensational, we had a superior room and didnt expect much but the room was modern, clean and comfortable. We intended to have dinner out every night but the Envy restaurant in the holiday inn is brilliant, food was exceptional and well priced. So much that we had dinner every night there. A 10 minute walk gets you to the heart of Tuban and the shopping, massage etc

The pool was great with pool bar and plenty of seats to lie around the pool. Best of all it has a departure lounge if you have time before flight.

Overall this has been the best hotel I have stayed at in Bali after 12 visits. I recommend this hotel to anyone as it caters for families,couples etc.

2  Thank Junkyard17
Reviewed January 7, 2011

The HI in Bali is a good family hotel close to the beach. The shopping area of Kuta is close and in walking distance. Nice restaurants and night clubs are around the hotel.
The room I have stayed was a garden room and beside the pool. It was quiet and OK, but very small!
In contrast to my 14 days at the IC in Bali, this hotel is the budget choice. They offer also a great break first and have cheap massages on-site, which we have enjoyed.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tuban
Discovery Kartika Plaza Hotel
Poppies Bali
Poppies Bali
#1 of 251 in Kuta
Sheraton Bali Kuta Resort

Been to Holiday Inn Resort Baruna Bali? Share your experiences!