“Holiday "Inn" Bali”

Ranked #1 of 20 Hotels in Tuban
Malaysia
“Holiday "Inn" Bali”
Reviewed November 7, 2012

The resort is next to the beach, with a nice big pool - very suitable for those wanting sun tan. Location wise - it is tucked in an inner street about a few hundred meters from main road. Do be extra mindful of the road when walking out as the pavement is being repaired. A kilometre or two away on the main road is the busy thoroughfare for shopping and dining, including the Discovery Mall.

Rooms were leaning in the small side though sufficient. My biggest gripe, the narrow walkway between the bed and the wall, several wincing experience hitting myself with the sharp wooden corners of the beds when moving around the room. Definitely a no no for families.

Visible wear and tear in the room decor. A nice little balcony (no views though since its not sea facing category). Room Rates were pretty high for a Holiday Inn.

Buffet breakfast was good, selection was sufficient. An "live action" Eggs menu is available. Noticed something quite amiss, when I ordered additional water on top of the fruit juice in the coffee house for dinner, was served bottled water at additional cost while other tables in the same outlet were served from a decanter(no charge).

Departure lounge is only useful if you need late check out - not to be mistaken for Executive lounge. The lounge is equipped with shower faciilties and a lounge area near the gym for those guests with late flights but no late check out options.

Staffs were generally friendly and nice almost everywhere.

Taxis arranged by the hotel will cost more than if you were to hail a taxi from the roadside. This is also confirmed by the Bell staffs. Upon check out, asked for a taxi from the Concierge, the agreed rate was not honoured by the taxi driver at the airport when I paid him, dropped me off in the other far side of the terminal and not where the normal drop off was. Not a good end to a trip.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank Adcye
Stephane_Varoquier, General Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Baruna Bali, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Dear "yeadrian",

Thank you for the great "actionable" feedback. Huge help!

I have personally inspected the room you stayed at and I have to agree with you that it needed some touch up here and there. We are fixing this as we speak. I just wish you had contacted me while here and we would have looked for a better option there and then.

High rate: value for money is a hard one and quite subjective depending what each person puts value on. I can assure you that our pricing is highly competitive with similar resorts in Kuta. I would welcome further thoughts on this.

Your taxi experience is worrying me. It is the first time I hear such experience which is very clearly against our ways of working. I would appreciate very much to hear more. Kindly get in touch at stephane.varoquier@ihg.com. About the drop off point : there is only one drop off point and it is far away from the terminal. Cars used to be able to drop passenger at the terminal but this has been changed with the airport renovation. You may still see a few cars going to the terminal but these are cars with special permits (for airline crews for example). Otherwise, all passengers (including myself) are dropped off at the far away point.

Many thanks for your visit and I hope this won't be the last one.

Stephane

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (413)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Reviewed November 5, 2012

This is the first time we have stayed at the Holiday Inn. (We normally stay at another very well known family resort nearby.)
CHECK IN/OUT: fast and efficient. Used the departure lounge for free because we had a "rewards card".
FAMILY SUITE: fabulous! 2 large interconnecting rooms. Kids (2) had their own bathroom, TV, DVD and XBox. Soundproofing between the rooms was great. Local newspaper delivered each morning. Housekeeping made animals out of the kids towels, which was delightful.
FOOD: fresh buffet breakfast with a wide range of food at Palms Restaurant. After 2 unsatisfactory experiences at Palms for dinner we swapped to the other restaurant/bar called Envy and were not disappointed with either the food or the service. We ate there for dinner for the rest of our stay.
FACILITIES: the pool was large enough and clean. There were always enough lounge chairs and fresh towels, and the pool was never crowded. Used the gym once - good basic equipment.
LOCATION: although a little further away from Kuta shops than where we regularly stay, it was a good opportunity to work off the breakfast eaten each day! If you cant be bothered walking back, a taxi from Matahari's was costing us less than $1.
STAFF: all very friendly, efficient and seemed genuinely interested in how we were enjoying our stay, not only in the resort, but in Bali generally.

We will definately stay there again. I am pleased to take email enquiries if anyone wants to know more.

3 Thank Bambi65
Dear "Bambi65",

I am glad to see that you didn't regret your decision to break the routine...

The team and I are sincerely thankful for you decision to try us.

Family Suites sell like hot cakes. To avoid disappointment, I highly recommend booking well in advance if possible.

We are all looking forward to welcome you back, this time with a brand new exciting concept for Palms (launching this month).

Many thanks,
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed November 5, 2012

We stayed here with our 2 children aged 4 and 7, for 9 nights/ 10 days in a Studio Garden Access room (formerly known as Kid's Suite) in late October. In summary it was the best family holiday we have had in years.

The hotel has pretty much everything you could think of and is far enough away from the hustle and bustle of Kuta to be quiet and oasis like, yet close enough that you get wherever you need to in a heartbeat.

Hotel airport pick up service was great. More expensive than a cab/ driver but worth it on arrival for peace of mind (still only $10USD). Holiday Inn sign waiting for us as soon as we disembarked in arrivals hall and whisked away to our car.

Only 7-10 mins from the aiport is also a godsend meaning you can be relaxing by the pool within 30 minutes of landing at the airport.

Checkin was extremely quick and efficient. Staff were very friendly and served us cold towels and welcome drinks on arrival. We arrived on time at about 2pm and our room was ready, clean and waiting for us.

Room itself was everything we expected. Clean, modern, plenty of space and privacy for parents away from the kids. These rooms, although smaller than the interconnecting family suites, are in a much nicer location in the resort, opening out onto gardens and looking straight out to the ocean. Very serene.

Complimentary bottles of drinking water x 4 in our room every day was great also.

As many others have said, the empty fridge in the room and the onsite shop/ mini mart is a great idea that we used constantly. Such great prices and so convenient. A large 1.5 litre bottle of water for example was 60 cents! Beers were $2 a bottle etc etc. Slightly higher than the Circle K down the road and a smaller selection but much more convenient.

Beds and pillows very comfortable. Only negative with the rooms was the air conditioning. It worked very well but was very noisy at night. We got used to it though so not really a big deal.

Bathroom set up is a little strange with an enormous open/ walk in shower with a bench seat (not quite sure what for) and this area becomes extremely slippery as the water doesn't drain away well after showers. Our little ones slipped over twice and hurt themsleves on the tiles as a result. Probably something management should look at. Nice to look at but not very practical/ safe.

Pools and grounds were stunning. Immaculately maintained, with workers pruning and watering all day every day. Pool bar and service was good and represented value for money. Cocktails were $9.50 AUD all day and half price at happy hour. Beers around $4 for Bintang or you could get a bucket of 4 Bali Hais for $13.

Breakfast was good and consistent. The egg ordering menus on your table were a great idea meaning no waiting in queues at the chef's station. Only downside really for us was the fruit. Not much variety at all. Really all you got was watermelon and some rather average honey due melon and canteloupe. No strawberries, some rather strange looking bananas and apples. We thought in such a tropical oasis fruit would have been better. Also the quality of the bacon was terrible - almost burnt beyond recognition. Still, there was plenty to choose from otherwise.

If you like vegemite, make sure you take a tube with you because this is next to impossible to get in Bali, let alone the Holiday Inn.

Hotel restaurants (including Envy) were ok but really depended on what you chose. Surprisingly the local food was average but the Western food was good. This was disappointing as you can get a pizza or burger anywhere and while in Bali we prefer to sample local cuisine.

There were however plenty of restaurants within walking distance of the resort either up the street (Green Garden, SA Cafe, de Bali), along the beach path (Pantai) or on the main drag into Kuta (Mozzarella, Queen's of India and Boardwalk).

Rascals Kids club was great. They did a wonderful job of keeping the kids amused - from fish feeding to sand sculptures to Balinese offering making to painting to of course Wii playing. When you drop the kids off they give you a local mobile phone so that they can contact you if needed. That way you can go wherever you like with peace of mind. Great idea.

Hotel staff were generally very friendly and helpful but in many instances were more interested in writing down our feedback rather than actioning it.

Only real disappointment for us was the tour service and transport service. The prices for day and half day services with drivers seem to vary depending on who was working each day. This is the sort of thing you would expect to encounter outside the resort on the street, not within the resort with the tour desk and concierge. It left us feeling that we were being taken advantage of. Other reports on TA had stated that the hotel had arranged daily drivers for 250,000 Rp. We also spoke with a couple in the pool who said likewise but when we mentioned it to the tour desk they denied and quoted double the price.

In the end we negotiated directy with drivers ourselves and paid 400,000Rp for the day and 200,000 for 3 hours which we thought was fair.

All in all, Holiday Inn is a wonderful resort in a very quiet and convenient part of Bali. It represents excellent value for money and is the perfect choice for families with young children.

We will definitely return.

Room Tip: Choose rooms on the garden side looking out to the ocean, much quieter than being in the wing that o...
3 Thank JK_family_of_4
Dear "JK_family_of_4",

Thank you so much for this very detailed account of your recent experience in our resort. I really appreciate you taking the time. It does help us a lot.

I am glad we were able to provide you with the best holiday ever for years. I note though that we could have done even better on a few occasions.

The air conditioning noise and shower drainage have now been fixed (I have personally inspected the room). This was an isolated incident as we almost never had such problems reported in a long time. I could not find any report of this in our log. I wish you had shared with us while here so we could attempt to make it right.

Breakfast fruits: you are right, one would expect top quality and tasty fruits on a tropical island. Sadly, a great portion of top quality fruits are reserved for export (the same goes with fish). We still can get quality but supply is very inconsistent. Further more, given our strict hygiene standards (we are the only Bali hotel to be HACCP certified), we restrict ourselves to responsible suppliers. It is tempting to buy better quality sometime but if the suppliers production/delivery chain doesn't agree with our hygiene standards, we won't. Although we put the priority on hygiene, rest assured we never stop looking for that perfect hygiene/quality balance.

Bacon: we actually have soft bacon available on request. Your message helped me to realise that guests were not necessarily aware. I am fixing this...

Your perception of the transportation service is really concerning to me. Guests have two options for transportation within the resort premises. The first one via Tour East (the travel agency located in the Resort Hub). Tour East is one of the leading agencies in Indonesia and as such have very high standards, insurances,.... Their prices reflect their services.
The second option is with the desk located just outside the lobby (third party too). We support this local company in our quest to maintain great relationships in the communities we do business in. As such, they manage to offer a more affordable option for guests not interested in "luxury".
Anyway, to avoid further similar cases, we have recently clearly posted official prices at the desk just outside the lobby. It is not standard and accepted practice for anyone in the resort grounds to offer anything than official prices. I encourage anyone to report such events directly to me.
You mentioned unbelievably low prices. However many questions come to mind, distance? size of the car?..... I can assure you that the hotel has never ever arranged daily drivers for 250,000.
If anyone thinks otherwise, I urge you to let me know directly at stephane.varoquier@ihg.com

Anyway, all in all, we are all excited at the fact that your family had an excellent stay, at an excellent price. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Looking forward to welcome you back very soon.

Many thanks,

Reviewed November 5, 2012

This was the first time we stayed at a hotel in the Tuban area. We were only here for 2 nights and needed to be near the shops so based on the reviews we read, we booked our stay at the Holiday Inn. This hotel lives up to its high reviews. Some of the nicest staff i have met, so helpful and friendly, quick check in service and just a pleasant stay overall. The walk along the beach to the shops is a great way to travel if you are using a stroller, helps to avoid the potholes on the roads. The only point i would make and i advised this upon check out was that they need to include some more vegetarian options on the menus. From my understanding, they are reviewing the menus and will focus on this a little more. Secondly, in all my travels, this was the first resort i have been too where there is a charge for using the kids club. I don't feel this is necessary and maybe should be considered. Overall, we loved this little hotel and will definetly we back for a longer stay next time.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Vish1979
Stephane_Varoquier, General Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Baruna Bali, responded to this review, November 11, 2012
Dear "Vish1979",

Thank you for your love and confirmation that we lived up to our high reviews.

According to our records, I believe that the night room service menu (limited menu) was the one lacking vegetarian options. Room service menu will be changed before the end of the year and we'll make sure it is more appealing to vegetarian. In the meantime, we are happy to take special requests. Vegetarian options during the day in all outlets are available.

Kids Club: some hotels chose to have a "free and easy" kids club where any kids can go in and out anytime. We have chosen the paying option as we wanted to deliver great value (plenty of activities, lunch included, mobile phone for parents in case we need to call,....) and deliver a great experience to both kids and parents. Please note that kids club entrance is free for suite bookings.

Thank you very much for trying us and we are looking forward to welcome back your family for a longer time in the near future.

Melbourne
Reviewed November 4, 2012

Being a travel agent I scour the trip advisor every hotel I put my clients in and I am no exception for myself. I chose this hotel based in its consistantly high reviews, I was not let down.
This hotel is in a lovely mix of Eastern and Western. Open and clean with a fantastic pool and pool bar with 2 resturants and an icecream bar right next to the beach. The rooms are clean with firm beds and the room is changed daily. The staff is what makes this hotel truely special. The staff is always ready with a big smile and friendly chitchat, they are all very well trained and served with efficiency and fun. We made really good friends with the guys that work in the pool bar and Envy Resturant.
The location was perfect for us as well. We are in our early twenties and wanted to go out but didn't want to be in the heart of Kuta. This was literally within walking distance (but why not get a taxi for $0.80c australian cents) of the main strip of Kuta and the shopping mall Discovery Plaza and eateries. Kuta square was just a little bit further and we would have dinner on the main strip and walk to Kuta square for the nightlife.
My brother and I stayed in a Deluxe Twin room and it was perfect for what we needed with a good safe.

I will definitely stay at this hotel again and will recommend it to everyone.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Asinoe
Stephane_Varoquier, General Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Baruna Bali, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
Dear "Asinoe",

Perfection is what we strive for and I am delighted to see that on this occasion we delivered against our goal.

Rest assured that your comment will be share with our beloved staff. It is always a pleasure for any of us to make our guests feel special.

Thank you so much for your support and I hope I'll have the pleasure to meet you on your next visit.

Perth
Reviewed November 3, 2012

Great family hotel just out far enough from the hustle and bustle of Kuta. Easy and fast checkin with our rooms being ready before we got there. The hotel was extremely clean and rooms are of a decent size. Breakfast was good quality. Pool was a little small to cater for lots of families. Service around the pool was quite slow you had to go over to order your food. Apart from that would recommend the hotel for sure.

1 Thank cheskilfoyle
Dear "cheskifoyle",

We are all happy to see that your family enjoyed the experience in our resort. I am sorry about the slow service around the pool. I shall watch this and make sure we make the necessary adjustments.

Thank you for staying with us and recommending us.

Reviewed November 2, 2012

This is our second stay at the Holiday Inn. We are a family of 2 adults and 2 kids. The hotel has everything you need for a great family holiday.

What we loved:

• Great family rooms. We stayed in a one bedroom suite and it has two separate rooms. There is a main bedroom for adults and another room with double sofa bed for kids. Room has 2 TVs which comes in handy. Rooms are great value for families.
• Excellent kids club. There is a lot for kids to do and they run lots of activities. Lunch is included for free. Staff are lovely.
• Envy restaurant. This place is located on the beach and serves delicious meals and great cocktails.
• Excellent staff. It seems that staff are well trained, very efficient and friendly.
• Location is a short walk to Discovery Plaza and to the restaurants and shopping in Tuban. Also it’s very easy to catch a taxi and they are cheap.
• Excellent pool bar
• Pool is not over run by children even though it’s a family friendly hotel.
• Cabanas by the pool.

What we didn’t like:

• The smell/dampness in some rooms. Our room was good but we travelled with a group of friends and one had a problem with the smell and dampness in their room. However, the hotel was efficient to solve the issue and moved them to another room.
• Pool did not seem as clean as last year.
• Lawn area was not as green and luscious as last year

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and can't wait to return again if staying in the Tuban area.

1 Thank nards72
Dear "nards72",

Thank you very much for coming back and glad to see that, once more, you had a great stay with us.

I am not sure why you felt the pool was not as clean as last year. We thoroughly clean and treat our pool on a daily basis. We had no guest reporting any pool issues. Kindly let me know at stephane.varoquier@ihg.com why you felt that way.

The wet season was supposed to start in October and as of today (6 November), it hasn't started... The very hot weather and lack of rain bring some challenges to keep the grass in tip top condition. Water is very scarce in Bali. We only use recycled water for the grounds. We could use fresh water but to play our part for the environment, we chose to limit ourselves to recycled water (usually enough but now limited given the exceptional weather conditions). Nonetheless, we are working on solution to improve the situation.

Until we welcome you again,

Very best regards,
Stephane
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tuban
Discovery Kartika Plaza Hotel
Alaya Resort Kuta
Alaya Resort Kuta
#4 of 251 in Kuta
Bali Garden Beach Resort

Been to Holiday Inn Resort Baruna Bali? Share your experiences!