“Exceeded expectations, reliable and relaxing”

Holiday Inn Resort Baruna Bali
Ranked #1 of 20 Hotels in Tuban
Brisbane, Australia
“Exceeded expectations, reliable and relaxing”
Reviewed July 6, 2011

My wife and I stayed here for 10 nights. Our first trip to Bali for our 3rd Honeymoon.

Picked Holiday Inn as a "safe choice", not having been to Bali before. Had thought we might look around and find somewhere better, maybe in Kuta, but we stayed the whole 10 nights because we loved it.

I expected lots of young families, but the guests were really mixed. I worried it was too far from Kuta, but in fact it was just far enough to put space between Kuta's noise and energy, so we could genuinely relax in perfect peace.

On the map it looks really close to the airport. While it was possible to hear the planes on occasion, they were never intrusive even when sleeping in the bali huts near the beach. We spent days on end laying by the pool reading and relaxing.

Rooms were great, but the walls are thin so sleeping in wasn't easy with noisy early rising neighbours. Food and beverage quality and pricing was really good. Not as cheap as local restaurants, but great quality/value. They even had real coffee for breakfast!

Staff were really friendly and responsive. We only learned how helpful they could be at the end. Our second last night, they recommended and booked us a restaurant at Jimbaran and arranged the restaurant to pick us up and drop us back - at no charge!

If/when we go to Bali again, we'll be staying here at least part of our trip.

Room Tip: Don't expect to see the Ocean properly from the Ocean view rooms, but it was worth the nice view...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Michael H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (417)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Perth
Reviewed July 2, 2011

Stayed for the second time in 10 months. This time got a kid suite instead of a family suite. For younger kids I think the kid suite was much better laid out with a massive bathroom & a toilet with a door for privacy.
Kids enjoyed the kids club again (free if having a suite) and all amenities were clean & working. Pool area was beautiful and a great way to spend the day longing in a bale being able to watch the kids from afar.
Breakfast was ok but would benefit from a few daily specials to give some variety.
Staff very helpful & friendly.
Able to check in early upon transfer from safari park & only took a few minutes. Greeted by name with a drink & cold towel to freshen up.

3 Thank matthecat
Hobart, Australia
Reviewed June 26, 2011

We travelled at the start of June 2011 and stayed for 7 nights. We were a family of 4 and had interconnecting rooms. Our children were 4y/old and 1y/old. This place was brilliant and the staff brilliant. We will return next year and would not even consider staying anywhere else. This place ticks all the boxes and you would not be dissapointed.

1 Thank ruth25041973
Cairns, Australia
Reviewed June 24, 2011

I travel to Bali several times a year for short stay - business related reasons. I usually like to stay in Tuban as it close to the airport and I am flying a lot domestically in Indonesia using Bali as a hub, and it's close enough to Kuta, while being far enough away from it at the same time.

I chose the Holiday Inn as it offered a good value for my company while giving me the comfort and location I desired, and gave me points on my IC Hotels Priority Club account.

Check in is always the first point of contact when staying in a new hotel and it is hard not to form an opinion based on this experience. My check in experience was below average, especially for a service oriented location like Bali. The old debit MasterCard presented the first confusion. Even though it is treated no differently to a "regular" MasterCard because it had "Debit Card" written on it it confused the hell out of the receptionist. In this day and age when debit Mastercard and debit Visa Cards are very common, there is no excuse for an establishment under the Holiday Inn management to not know how to handle this card.

The rooms are nice and modern, with all amenities one would expect. I was surprised the room had no minibar, upon inquiring I was informed that "no Holiday Inn has a mini bars in the room" which is of course not true. When I pointed out that many Holiday Inns had mini bars the staff member wanted to argue with me that NO HOLIDAY INN has mini bars. Very disappointing attitude and poor training of the staff.

I was awoken one night just before 10pm when the front office phoned to see if I required a transfer the next day. Whilst many visitors to Bali are probably just heading out at that time, I find it inappropriate for the hotel to call a guest at that time of night trying to increase their revenue streams.

The rooms were not very sound proofed, I was woken several times by noisy other guests arriving back late. Whilst I appreciate they can arrive late in a place like Bali, the rooms could certainly be more sound proofed against these kind of things.

Overall the rooms, public areas, pool, beach access, gardens and amenities are all of a high standard

Food was good but again let down by poor service and low quality training of staff. The coffee was terrible at breakfast and ordering a flat white I was presented with a large mug filed less than half way with something closer to a cappuccino. I inquired what the point of serving such a huge mug with less than half its capacity filled, the staff members response was to fill the mug with a couple fo shots espresso making an undrinkable concoction. Breakfast buffet was on par with other similar hotels in Bali.

Check out was more nightmare ridden then check in. The staff just didn't have a clue. Small slightly irrelevant things added to the "drama" of checkout such as; the bill being charged in US Dollar yet still using the IDR Rupiah notation (so on the bill the room rate was IDR280 or basically a few cents, when it should have read US$280), my employment line filled in as "Google Inc" when asked how the hell they ended up with Google as my employer they claimed that any internet booking has Google on their employment line (Seriously WTF??), even though they had a priority desk for Gold Priority Club members like myself, it was not manned, I had booked a second room for my niece staying their and had indicated it was to be kept separate from my booking as my booking was business and her expenses would be paid separately they manged to totally confuse the two accounts. All these things combined with the poor standard of staff made check out unnecessarily tedious. There was a double a charge on my credit card I had to get my bank to sort out later as well.

In the big scope of things the let down for me was the poor staff training and ability, particularly compared to other high service quality hotels in Bali in a similar category to this Holiday Inn. Overall the service did not meet my expectations of either a Holiday Inn or a Balinese Resort. Outside of the service the experience was good.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank GlobalCitizen01
Troy, Michigan
Reviewed June 23, 2011

This hotel was amazing. It was located right on the beach. The lobby was open air and looked directly onto the beach. When you arrived in the lobby you received a refreshing welcome drink and a towel. You also got to sit down. Pool was relaxing and breakfast was delicious. Rooms were up to international standards.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank jeffbl88
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed June 23, 2011

Arrived after our Jetstar fight to be warmly welcomed and taken to our room. We are a family of 5-- 2 adults 3 kids 13,11 and 9 years and booked the Baruna suite. room 1112. Great location, ground level in front of pool. The pool cabanas are great, grounds beautiful with lots of well watered grass. We have two rooms two bathrooms and enough space for all. The beach is directly out front, no road between resort and beach like down Legian way. Breakfast is great and we are all satisfied. The rooms do smell a bit musty but nothing to worry about at all. Staff have been fantastic so helpful and friendly. We will def come back again

Room Tip: ask for room 1112 baruna suite
2 Thank alex9
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed June 21, 2011

We are 25-30yr couple and booked a week at Holiday Inn. The service is exceptional and the hotel is immaculate. The pool/sunbaking area quiet big with lots of options and view depending on how hot it is etc. The pool bar is dangerously awesome. Walk straight out of the pool onto the beach and grab a comfy couch to watch sunset.

The rooms are very nice. Ours was on the ground level looking over the pool which I'd get again for the convenience & views. Our package included a couples massage in the Teat Tree Spa which was pretty awesome. You definitely get cheaper massages elsewhere but the setup is very tranquil.

Other amenities included 1 week wi-fi (AU$50) which worked everywhere including by the pool, little shop to buy beer (AU$2 ea) and drinks etc. Breakfast cafe is perfect for a week's stay with great views/feel & food's better than most places. The restaurant has pretty amazing food and beautiful views & outdoor feel. Plenty of news TV Channels, bit of sport & music. Only 10mins from airport and a short walk to main shopping strip. Cab home from restaurants will cost $1-2 (get Blue Taksi with meters!!!)

Overall we were blown away by the hotel & went to look at some others we'd considered like O-CE-N & Ramada and were glad we didn't book there.

June was amazing with no humidity or rain. I imagine the pool is a godsend in wet months.

Room Tip: Ground level Ocean rooms overlooking pool are best
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tuban
Discovery Kartika Plaza Hotel
Alaya Resort Kuta
Alaya Resort Kuta
#4 of 250 in Kuta
Four Points by Sheraton Bali

Been to Holiday Inn Resort Baruna Bali? Share your experiences!